Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Yesterday I took the MYP to Tesla for my VA safety inspection ($20 bargain). The techs seemed mildly amazed at my tire sizes (265 and 295/40zr21 Conti DWS 06 Plus on stock Ubers). After the lead guy admired the aesthetic change, he pointed out the rears are wearing faster than the fronts — same as the PZeros, indicating minimal understeer, which you want in a sporty, rear-biased, all-wheel drive vehicle.

About road noise with foam-less Contis: no detectable change from the foamy PZeros.
Do they recommend an alignment?

Upvote 0
When changing tire sizes especially on a staggered setup, I prefer to keep the same diameter difference or less as the oem setup.
MYP came with 255/35/21 and 275/35/21 which according to tiresize.com is a difference of +2.1%.
One option of moving the rears up front gives you 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 in back, according to tiresize.com is a diameter difference of +1.7%. This is less than the factory 2.1% which is fine.
275/40/21 and 295/40/21 is a diameter difference of +2% which is the closest to the 2.1% from the factory and gives a host of added benefits too.
265/40/21 and 295/40/21 has a diameter difference of +3.4% which is greater than the oem setup. I’m glad to hear there are so many positive stories and experiences using this particular setup or else I myself would not consider it.
Does anyone else have experience with 275/40/21 and 295/40/21 as this would be my number one choice in sizing options. I’d love to hear about your experience and setup ie. lowered, aftermarket wheels, spacers, etc. I do have a set of MPP coilovers sitting here in my office and a set of 21” aftermarket wheels in a cart on my screen so I’m also thinking about 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 too. So many options! Thanks for everyone’s input, learning a ton here.

Upvote 0
When changing tire sizes especially on a staggered setup, I prefer to keep the same diameter difference or less as the oem setup.
MYP came with 255/35/21 and 275/35/21 which according to tiresize.com is a difference of +2.1%.
One option of moving the rears up front gives you 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 in back, according to tiresize.com is a diameter difference of +1.7%. This is less than the factory 2.1% which is fine.
275/40/21 and 295/40/21 is a diameter difference of +2% which is the closest to the 2.1% from the factory and gives a host of added benefits too.
265/40/21 and 295/40/21 has a diameter difference of +3.4% which is greater than the oem setup. I’m glad to hear there are so many positive stories and experiences using this particular setup or else I myself would not consider it.
Does anyone else have experience with 275/40/21 and 295/40/21 as this would be my number one choice in sizing options. I’d love to hear about your experience and setup ie. lowered, aftermarket wheels, spacers, etc. I do have a set of MPP coilovers sitting here in my office and a set of 21” aftermarket wheels in a cart on my screen so I’m also thinking about 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 too. So many options! Thanks for everyone’s input, learning a ton here.
My understanding is that 275/40 won’t fit in the front on the stock Ubers. Your best bet if you are looking to stick within that Front to Rear stock sidewall ratio, is to go with 265/40 F and 285/40 R

Upvote 0
Hey guys sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am searching for tires for my 2022 MYP and having a really hard time finding tires. Tesla is of no help.

I am in Connecticut and Mavis Discount tires have suggested that if I can confirm if 255/40R21 in the front and 275/40R21 in the rear will fit then there are lots of tires available. Can anyone confirm if this size will fit the MYP without any rubbing or other issues?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey guys sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am searching for tires for my 2022 MYP and having a really hard time finding tires. Tesla is of no help.

I am in Connecticut and Mavis Discount tires have suggested that if I can confirm if 255/40R21 in the front and 275/40R21 in the rear will fit then there are lots of tires available. Can anyone confirm if this size will fit the MYP without any rubbing or other issues?

Thanks!
Several have gone to 265/40R21 Front (29.3") and 295/40R21 Rear (30.3") without problems. Your suggested setup would be 29" and 29.7" respectively so it'll work.

Reactions: OutofPocket
Upvote 0
Thanks for the confirmation. Not sure what 29" and 29.7 means but would going with 255/40R21 and 275/40R21 be good?
Oh, those are overall diameter of the wheel+tire combo. If you know that for a certain combo, you can compare the setup you want to see if it’ll fit. Tire Size Calculator

I wouldn’t be a good reference for maximum tire size recommendation, as I went the other direction down to 19”. :)

Upvote 0
This thread seems fairly dormant, but I'll add this.

My 265 & 295/40zr21 Conti DWS06 Plus A/S have completely transformed this vehicle. I'm no longer constantly wary of curb rash or pothole damage (not saying it couldn't happen). I now have a more civilized ride with no detectable performance loss. They shrug off potholes that used to torture my spine. After 4K miles, I've experienced zero rubbing or added body roll. I have increased confidence in the wet. The more aggressive stance and reduced wheelwell gaps greatly improve aesthetics. Range loss, if any, is minimal. And I quickly learned to mentally compensate for the speedo offset (+3 mph at indicated 70).

For me, in a general purpose vehicle, there's no serious downside to this mod. It's still a SPORT utility vehicle and now an improved daily driver and long hauler. I contemplated a square set-up on different wheels, but I still think the Ubers look best on the Y.

FYI, simpletire.com had the best price I could find for the Contis: $1425 shipped, significantly cheaper than, and very comparable to, the Michelin 4 A/S (I've had both on other cars). It's an anything-but-simple website, difficult to order. I ended up calling in my order.
I wanted to give a shout out/thanks to Megabrode and others in this thread! Followed this recommendation and ordered through simpletire.com. I went w/265 & 295/40zr21 tires on ubers put on this weekend. Drove over a couple of potholes and these tires absorbed them well. I did not notice any rubbing at all either.

Reactions: necroregion
Upvote 0