Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Torque Sleep tied to Range Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
Will Tesla ever separate most efficient torque sleep from limiting the climate control?

Personally, I hope so. And I hope it's done before we hit the heat of summer. I want the maximum benefits of torque sleep and its associated energy savings without sacrificing cooling when I need the air conditioner.

Certainly the term Range Mode implies that you want to maximize your achievable range on a given charge but I would like these two functions separated. Since Tesla has not provided to us the exact details about what all operates differently when Range Mode is switched on and off I don't know what else is "bundled in" the switching of Range Mode. When I had my P85+ I never turned Range Mode ON because I always wanted optimum performance of the climate control but if I needed to maximize range I did it by controlling my speed and driving style.

Thoughts?

Again, I don't have a Tesla, but what are the effects of having torque sleep active that you would not want? In other words, why would you not want maximum torque sleep all the time? It doesn't change performance, does it? Push accelerator, car go fast.

Again, I don't have a Tesla, but what are the effects of having torque sleep active that you would not want? In other words, why would you not want maximum torque sleep all the time? It doesn't change performance, does it? Push accelerator, car go fast.

I do want maximum torque sleep all the time. As it stands now it appears the only way to get maximum torque sleep is by turning Range Mode ON. Turning Range Mode ON also limits the effectiveness of the A/C and Heat.

So, to summarize, I want maximum torque sleep without limiting the climate control system.

I do want maximum torque sleep all the time. As it stands now it appears the only way to get maximum torque sleep is by turning Range Mode ON. Turning Range Mode ON also limits the effectiveness of the A/C and Heat.

So, to summarize, I want maximum torque sleep without limiting the climate control system.

Yep, I was agreeing with you, sorry it wasn't clear. Why would they not have all the torque sleep possible all the time -- why would it be higher in range mode? Maybe there are other new things being done by range mode not directly related to torque sleep? Maybe there is a synergistic effect?

Presumably Tesla is concerned about some potential negative effects of torque sleep, or they would've made it universal.

I'm not sure if it is just that they don't have much experience with torque sleep in the real world and wont to keep it optional while it builds, or if there are consequences of torque sleep operation that aren't obvious yet.

The little bits I've grasped of the firmware .167/reduced power threads seems to suggest that some portions of the torque sleep operating envelope can produce issues in some cars right now.

If torque sleep can reach the point where there are no measurable drawbacks and it simply saves you energy, I would expect Tesla to make it automatic, or at most have an option you can check to disable it. We don't appear to be there yet.
Walter