Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent trip between Sydney and Brisbane (Australia) a distance of 915 Klms (569 Miles), I wanted to see the maximum time I could rely on autopilot AP1 (Classic front P90D). Where ever possible including through traffic congestion and country towns I used AP1, with my hand resting on the wheel ready to take over at any stage, which I’ve listed in the interventions below. I used a stopwatch (phone) to accurately time when AP was engaged.

Apart from the Tesla maps not being updated for the major new highway south of Coffs Harbour - where it was almost unusable for about 100 km, I thought the system was extremely good and I definitely felt more refreshed when I arrived at my destination than in years past when driving an ICE.

Truth be told, I engaged AP far more than what I would normally to see how far I could push its capabilities. In summary I only got to drive the car for about 3.5 hours of an 11 hour trip. The downside was - I missed driving the car!

Statistics below

Sydney to Newcastle: Trip Time 1:50 – AP 40 minutes

Newcastle the Port Macquarie: Trip Time 2:12 - AP 1:55

Port Macquarie to Coffs: Trip Time 2:08 – AP 1:12

Coffs to Maca Castle: Trip Time 2:48 – AP 2:14

Maca Castle to Brisbane: Trip Time 2:00 – AP 1:34

RESULTS: Trip Time 10:58 – AP 7:35

INTERVENTIONS (when AP was confused/erratic)

1 – merging lanes

1 - through roadworks with unclear lines

2 - Hill crests

1 – unexplained.

6 - On new highway south of Coffs - where maps have not been updated - Grrr.

...Tesla maps not being updated for the major new highway south of Coffs Harbour - where it was almost unusable for about 100 km

Of course I meant to quote Vegas too. Great that you're highlighting this & really good info. I think these gaps really do take away from the long-distance AP experience & are probably not difficult to solve. After about a year, on a major motorway, on a Supercharger route, between 2 large cities...I really do hope Elon's people are on it.

Of course I meant to quote Vegas too. Great that you're highlighting this & really good info. I think these gaps really do take away from the long-distance AP experience & are probably not difficult to solve. After about a year, on a major motorway, on a Supercharger route, between 2 large cities...I really do hope Elon's people are on it.

It would be nice if any such update contained the correct flags to allow automatic lane change between Newcastle and Brisbane as well.

And perhaps the locations of permanent speed cameras, red light cameras, school zones (reduced speed limits at designated times) and average speed cameras. Other systems can do these. Tesla can - but it may not be as priority .
I'd love the car to be able to warn about school zones if it was smart enough to also know when they are active etc. As you said though, I'm not sure how much of a priority this would be for Tesla, and each state in AUS would be different.

Hi Guys,

There is an expert here on the forum in the US that has created a nice no charge Waze to Tesla integration.
It does have listings of police cameras and learns over time of police enforcement areas...

Good domestic and UK reviews...

Shawn

There is an expert here on the forum in the US that has created a nice no charge Waze to Tesla integration.

Not Tesla but the Australian government...Australia is one of those places with no Tesla browser available. Can't just block touch operation whilst in motion...nooo...that would make too much sense. Equivalent Waze to Tesla integration here would be a huge iPad mounted on the a/c vent...which (bizare to anyone not familar with lawmaking logic in Australia) is both potentially a lethal projectile in an accident and perfectly legal.

Apple-iPad-Pro-Vehicle-Mount-Holder-by-Strike-Alpha-new-arrival-jp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: baillies
Confirm the chaos from Coffs to PM yesterday. Wants to turn left, right and around in the middle of the new highway
It's actually a nightmare even with just TACC on. It gets 'lost' and slows down massively if you have a destination plugged into the GPS. The other big issue is if you turn it all off if you try and set any destination it just dies until you get to Cassegrain. The maps should be something that with an active fleet they should be re-drawing the maps through the neural net. The other pain in the backside thing is that you can actually see the bloody new highway on Google, the NAV system just doesn't have it.

I complained to Tesla Sydney in 2015 about the out of date maps. Was told by Jessee (the service guy at the time) that the nav maps were at least two years out of date then so now (...) five years - would be nice if they would fix same but I guess they are waiting to implement the Tesla mapping suite. Faster faster I say.

Yes, it had better be "light years ahead" as promised by his Elon-ness. I am waiting to be mightily impressed. Supposed to be out in Feb this year, so I suppose June?
Actually supposed to be out this weekend. No sign of it at 10.07 Sunday night, but I guess USA time they still have another 20 odd hours....
Not holding my breath. This is going to be another Elon timing miss.....

It's actually a nightmare even with just TACC on. It gets 'lost' and slows down massively if you have a destination plugged into the GPS. The other big issue is if you turn it all off if you try and set any destination it just dies until you get to Cassegrain. The maps should be something that with an active fleet they should be re-drawing the maps through the neural net. The other pain in the backside thing is that you can actually see the bloody new highway on Google, the NAV system just doesn't have it.

Maybe a video and tweet to Elon could be in order. I mean, this is National Highway Route 1 (A1) and it's pretty poor that the maps can't be updated to cover that.