Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maxpider or WeatherTech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will get my MY in the next several weeks and have been researching the Maxpider and Weathertech products. I like the look of the Maxpider for the passenger areas better but am leaning toward the Weathertech for the rear cargo. Is that tacky?

I'm finally about to pop for at least a rear myself. I've seen others complain about the maxpider (I think) making it hard to get in to the lower area.

Opinions?

Context - I don't care about classy/industrial. I mostly carry groceries which is why I haven't gotten anything yet. But once the little one steals the Outback, I'll be carrying bags of salt (I think that's probably the worst thing) and would like to contain the salt and easily pull out the liner to vacuum the salt off. The front shallow well I probably don't care about. Didn't even realize it was there until a couple days ago. Found the licence plate bracket that I thought they had cheated me out of and it doesn't look like much else will fit in there anyway. Maybe the manual that doesn't fit in the glove box.

Have you considered TuxMat? I thought Maxpider's were the best (had them in two vehicles) until I discovered TuxMat. They have even better coverage (cover even more carpeted surface) and are much easier to clean. I now have them in both my vehicles (including Model 3). Not sure if they are available in the US. I know it doesn't answer the original question (I'd choose Maxspider between those two) but hopefully this gives you another option to consider.

Reactions: MrWattson
Have you considered TuxMat? I thought Maxpider's were the best (had them in two vehicles) until I discovered TuxMat. They have even better coverage (cover even more carpeted surface) and are much easier to clean. I now have them in both my vehicles (including Model 3). Not sure if they are available in the US. I know it doesn't answer the original question (I'd choose Maxspider between those two) but hopefully this gives you another option to consider.

I didn't see a trunk and/or frunk.

bought the passenger area trays from tesmanian. the foot well trays arrived on the 23rd, a couple days earlier than promised. left them to sit in the sun for a day and installed them, perfect tight fit all around their perimeters. zero problems, so 100% satisfied. surfaces provide good traction and foot feel plus deep enough for a foot bath. their medium grey colour disappears into the darkness of the car day or night. they don't look cheap and definitely don't feel cheap or unworthy of the Y. can't imagine what more one could ask for.

bought the passenger area trays from tesmanian. the foot well trays arrived on the 23rd, a couple days earlier than promised. left them to sit in the sun for a day and installed them, perfect tight fit all around their perimeters. zero problems, so 100% satisfied. surfaces provide good traction and foot feel plus deep enough for a foot bath. their medium grey colour disappears into the darkness of the car day or night. they don't look cheap and definitely don't feel cheap or unworthy of the Y. can't imagine what more one could ask for.

Couldn't agree more with this - Tesmanian FTW. They absolutely do the job - nothing fancy, and all the look/function of the weather tech for 20% the price.

This was the only choice for me in Nebraska, where the snow is starting to fly.

I liked the footwell covers so much, I went ahead and picked up the cargo area cover. It's great.

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93
I will get my MY in the next several weeks and have been researching the Maxpider and Weathertech products. I like the look of the Maxpider for the passenger areas better but am leaning toward the Weathertech for the rear cargo. Is that tacky?
This is actually the correct answer, IMO. The Maxpider mats look nice. They'd be good in the passenger cabin. But they're kind of a PITA in the trunk. It makes it nearly impossible to get into the far subtrunk without removing it, and it's very difficult to get into the near subtrunk because the grippiness of the Maxpider mats makes it hard to slot the cover into the position that props it up.

The coverage of the Maxpider in the trunk is great (even the little side areas!), but I regret buying it already. I like the Weathertech in my Model S that makes it easy to prop up the trunk floor to get underneath. If you intend to use the subtrunk rarely that'd be one thing, but I use mine all the time.

I don't understand the WeatherTech trunk comment, from what I seen in their website, it doesn't have the fold to bend the mats for subtrunk access...
I don't have the Model Y version, but the Weathertec doesn't even need to "fold" on my Model S. I just lift up the subtrunk and the mat bends. If anything, the Maxpider fold may be worse as it provides a channel for water to escape. I suspect the Maxpider has the fold points for shipping purposes (it ships folded along those channels), and not for functional purposes. If they are intended to be functional, they do not really work. For example, if you want to get into the far subtrunk, you cannot simply fold up the front part and lift: the mat gets stuck on the wheel wells. You have to scrunch it up along both folds, which is hard as it sticks to any carpet it touches. It's not a huge problem if you otherwise like the mat, but I would place absolutely zero weight on the fact it has folds compared to competitors.

I don't have the Model Y version, but the Weathertec doesn't even need to "fold" on my Model S. I just lift up the subtrunk and the mat bends. If anything, the Maxpider fold may be worse as it provides a channel for water to escape. I suspect the Maxpider has the fold points for shipping purposes (it ships folded along those channels), and not for functional purposes. If they are intended to be functional, they do not really work. For example, if you want to get into the far subtrunk, you cannot simply fold up the front part and lift: the mat gets stuck on the wheel wells. You have to scrunch it up along both folds, which is hard as it sticks to any carpet it touches. It's not a huge problem if you otherwise like the mat, but I would place absolutely zero weight on the fact it has folds compared to competitors.

Thanks! that was a great explanation... I was leaning towards the Maxpider because it folds, but after reading your explanation it makes sense it might not work as well... I'm finding the lower trunk to be great for certain things, and propping up the back part is a nice feature. Would hate to lose that ability. Weathertech might be a better choice for the cargo area.