Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maxton Design Diffuser: Kpeng Improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon.... kpeng p0rn edition:

20200619_131419.jpg 20200619_131546.jpg 20200619_131558.jpg 20200619_131404.jpg 20200619_131349.jpg 20200619_131546.jpg

Reactions: bcpm3p and Skione65
Love this. How is the Maxton version held on originally? Just the 3M tape? Where/how did you put the screws in?

Do you have a picture of the completed diffuser off the vehicle? Would like to see how it looks all together.

I don't have a pic, but I can mark where we inserted self-tapping screws. I used 3M VHB double sided tape along the entire edge of the piece, and one strip down each channel between the fins as well.

Titties.

Where's the picture of your Dremel? Could their install manual online be more vague?

Their manual is garbage. It's a generic set of instructions that make no sense.

Reactions: Perscitus
No tools of the trade p0rn. The pathetic instructions are super vague because they are cookie-cutter generic. Sad.

I was at first disappointed and then relieved they include zero mounting hardware and zero printed instructions.
Relieved because I will just use my own VHB or hotglue and pushpins.

Quality, edges and overall impression - very good. The finish on the matt textured plastic is great and the diffuser is nice and light. Should hold well without mounting hardware overkill.

Line it up, center it, drill holes, install screws. Awesome instructions! lol

Be nice if they had pre-drilled holes in optimal places along with proper hardware but then again, it's inexpensive.

Perscitus, please take some photos of steps along the way. Especially where you drill, tape, etc. Pushpins are definitely a good option instead of metal hardware. VHB makes sense all around the perimeter so no air can get underneath.

No tools of the trade p0rn. The pathetic instructions are super vague because they are cookie-cutter generic. Sad.

I was at first disappointed and then relieved they include zero mounting hardware and zero printed instructions.
Relieved because I will just use my own VHB or hotglue and pushpins.

Quality, edges and overall impression - very good. The finish on the matt textured plastic is great and the diffuser is nice and light. Should hold well without mounting hardware overkill.

How long did it take to receive after ordering? Looks great!

Ski

Hey Ski, all outlined earlier in the Maxton Design thread (non-kpeng edition) and I think here on the 1st page - a few people might have commented on their Canadian and US reseller ETAs.

In short - drop ships from Poland to Chicago or Ontario and from there needs to make it over to you. With COVID shipping delays, ETA are 3-4 months from order date.

I ordered mine in early Feb and it arrived in Chicago late May, shipped out to me and was here about a week ago.

Sweet.....so about 4 months.....talk about ANTICIPATION! Would love a few photos after install. Jelly......I’m trying to decide what finish I want before pulling the trigger. Matte Texture is prob the best, wish their CF looked better/more realistic....and the gloss would (I feel) always look filthy, who knows.

Ski

Sweet.....so about 4 months.....talk about ANTICIPATION! Would love a few photos after install. Jelly......I’m trying to decide what finish I want before pulling the trigger. Matte Texture is prob the best, wish their CF looked better/more realistic....and the gloss would (I feel) always look filthy, who knows.

Ski
Matte is definitely best since the lower factory piece at the bottom of bumper is also matte. I'd only go for gloss if I had other gloss black bits like a gloss black front lip and then I'd probably also paint that oem rear piece gloss as well so it all flows.

In terms of lead time, Maxton Canada told me in early June that it is 2 to 3 months even though site says 3 to 4.

Reactions: Skione65
Installed this morning, a total breeze and 9/10 on ease of install and fit. 10/10 on finish. Took less than 25 min on a lift and taking our sweet time (taking pics, pre-cleaning, prep, wood block to create some temp room between the rear splash shield and trunk cavity while drilling holes).

The matt textured plastic is probably more flexible, maliable than the carbonfiber look and gloss finish pieces, and as a result the diffuser a. fit perfectly over the existing fins b. sat flush vs splash shield and OE diffuser) and c. didnt even need any VHB tape.

Full disclaimer - I came ready with plenty VHB tape (different widths), dremel, masking tape etc to perform the kpeng style mod, but in the case of this material or this material plus this particular injection mold piece - there was no need!
We skipped the tape because of good flush fitment and the amount of push pins we were going to use... plus this way the piece is easy to remove for servicing or access above it. Water is also free to flow out instead of getting trapped in there behind the tape in the fin channels.

To get this done, having a buddy (to line things up and help, while you or the other drill pilot holes for the initial few push clips) is key. Probably could be done by one person, but would be a bit of a PITA.

From there, we just moved in a criss-cross pattern, and added push clips along the outer and inner edge of each section between the fins. We also did the same for the two little side winglets (which do not stick out but are a shadow match of the plastic you see on either end past the OE fins).

You can see the location of each push clip in the bottom up pic below. And the push clips used in a separate photo. Link to them on Amazon soon.

Very satisfied with the fit, OE plastic matching finish, small weight, good flex and the install as well as the final fairly subtle look.

Maxton Design Poland did good with this diffuser, the V1 front lip, and for those who like/want them - the sideskirt extensions. Great success!

20200620_143719.jpg 20200620_143827.jpg 20200620_144011.jpg 20200620_110724.jpg 20200620_144325.jpg 20200620_144027.jpg 20200620_144045.jpg

Link to the push clips used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JR6TT65?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

70A5446C-B3AB-4A9C-9727-C291FDD742BA.jpeg
@Perscitus,

Looks amazing! So I’m trying to decipher your photos. Did you cut the winglets off just outside of the last fin or “tuck” the winglet up “inside” the lower bumper? (I.e. and drill/plastic pop rivet where those two bumper rivets are)? Because in the Maxton photo that winglet protrudes outside of the bumper edge.

Ski