Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May AWD/Performance Orders -- VIN / Status Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think they have been producing AWDs and perhaps stockpiling it or they haven’t started production on it at all. Honestly thinking about switching my order to RWD but don’t want to switch then have a whole wave of AWD VIN assignment hit just a few days later. Given my luck, that would probably happen :(

I believe they said 20% of the Model 3's produced the last week of June came from the tent. If they are only producing the AWD in there that would be about 1,000 of them being stockpiled.

Sidenote: No call of VIN for my May 23rd AWD order yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: autospy
If you switch your Trade-In to Yes, then your Edit button will return. There are multiple threads on this.
I just changed my option to no trade in, whereupon the edit buttom vanished. I wonder if I can change to choose a trade-in after vin has been assigned.

In some tax jurisdictions, including mine in FL, the taxable amount is based of ASP minus trade-in, so Tesla can offer slightly less than open market and leave me still ahead. OTOH, I suspect my P85D is probably worth more to a private buyer than Tesla, but there is the hassle factor too.

I just changed my option to no trade in, whereupon the edit buttom vanished. I wonder if I can change to choose a trade-in after vin has been assigned.

In some tax jurisdictions, including mine in FL, the taxable amount is based of ASP minus trade-in, so Tesla can offer slightly less than open market and leave me still ahead. OTOH, I suspect my P85D is probably worth more to a private buyer than Tesla, but there is the hassle factor too.
The edit button vanishing with all green check mark (such as putting the trade in to no) is a known behavior. Sadly it doesn’t appear to indicate anything. However, if the trade in is set to yes (there the status is pending) and the edit button is still missing, more than likely you’ve been assigned a VIN.

• Helpful
Reactions: autospy
I think this will work much in the same way that the regular reservations worked in the past month or so.

For example, my friend (non Tesla owner, online order) didn't have an invite to order his LR vehicle. When it opened to all reservation holders, he placed his order. He was originally given a late 2018 estimate for delivery. Apparently, his order matched an already built VIN... So instead, he got a call about a 2.5 week delivery!

I think that's what will happen for P/AWD vehicles. As soon as Tesla is ready, they'll start signing vins and built vehicles to orders...I think soon enough there will a wave of orders being fulfilled.

Don't think that sounds TOO crazy, right? I'm waiting on my performance version!

I think this will work much in the same way that the regular reservations worked in the past month or so.

For example, my friend (non Tesla owner, online order) didn't have an invite to order his LR vehicle. When it opened to all reservation holders, he placed his order. He was originally given a late 2018 estimate for delivery. Apparently, his order matched an already built VIN... So instead, he got a call about a 2.5 week delivery!

I think that's what will happen for P/AWD vehicles. As soon as Tesla is ready, they'll start signing vins and built vehicles to orders...I think soon enough there will a wave of orders being fulfilled.

Don't think that sounds TOO crazy, right? I'm waiting on my performance version!
I think that sounds logical. And at this point, Tesla is definitely batch producing them. So, if AWD or Performance starts rolling out, it won’t just be one or two, it should be a whole tidal wave.