Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May EV sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose by "no one" you mean major news outlets. But the car blogs have no problem posting estimates based on what we say here.

Right, but the average person doesn't read car blogs and tends to discount what they say (even though they often have better facts than the major news outlets). People who are "into" cars have already made their minds up positively or negatively so it's not going to change. Also there is a difference between "We sold 1000 cars this year" and "In May 2012, 376 cars were sold".

Keep in mind that Automotive News is a trade magazine and not exactly widely read. I think you would have difficulty finding a copy at retail. So while the figures sometimes get picked up by the blogs and such, it's not like the general public can get a hold of them. For that matter I'm not sure the general public really cares.

To a car nerd like me, I'm all over that sales chart when it comes out every month! Always fascinating to see the trends and the new releases, how they are selling.

I can't think of one who doesn't. The makes that do not offer a model-by-model breakdown are limited to the likes of Ferrari and Lotus.

I remember in one of the Autobloggreen sales analysis, they weren't able to give the broken down number for Toyota because there were some hybrid models Toyota didn't report (they only gave an aggregate number).

I also remember looking up sales figures for the E-class and 5-series and there not being a per-model breakdown chart every single month (the press release only mentions the models that did well, some of the worse selling models like the R-class were not mentioned).

Perhaps I'm not looking at the right sources, but my impression is not every automaker consistently has a chart every single month.

Well, yeah, I guess what I said was a bit misleading. Automotive News' charts will group together certain models lines such as 5-Series and E-Class (M-B has too many models as it is), but they are reporting R-Class sales every month. Unfortunately as you said there is no distiction made between a hybrid Camry or a regular one. That's why I note only dedicated EV nameplates, as they are unique EV models. But sure enough, Toyota reported selling a mere 3 Lexus LFA's last month, for example. And it's always funny watching the sales diminish of cancelled models (still 5 Chevy Aveos sold last month). So their charts are pretty thorough and complete, and as far as I understand are widely considered "official," at least here in the U.S.

As Doug said, the auto press reports on what we say here. That brings a wide readership to the "news" we supply. Then a major publication picks up on the auto blog reporting and it's suddenly watercooler talk.

Again, Nissan and Chevy are getting reamed for not making the numbers they predicted. As someone here said, Tesla is striving to make Niche car maker. But they bought a big factory as say their goal is to be a major maker. People will take that as the Model S as that halo car and attack them for only selling 20,000 units. We will probably have to soon start defending Tesla for not selling Toyota numbers as the haters mock the niche numbers.

Full figures for Norway:

Car brand/model:May:April:March:February:January:Year to date:
Nissan Leaf:179113179214210895
Mitsubishi I-MiEV:7259835330297
Peugeot iOn:136125248131
Citroen C-Zero:372028177109
Tesla Roadster:3440213
Think City:105107
Mia Electric:010001
Opel Ampera:21142019
Fisker Karma:000000
[tr]