TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

May have spotted a Model 3 "vets" version

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ecarfan, Sep 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#1 ecarfan, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    As many on TMC know, there are Model S and X "veterans" versions, cars custom wrapped in a camouflauge pattern with lettering on the side. Here is thread about the Model S car Tesla Military Model S Spotted and here is the page on the Tesla website about their Veterans hiring program Veterans Careers | Tesla (showing the Model X "veterans" car)

Yesterday at 4:30PM on California Hwy 152 just west of the 156 junction (near Gilroy) my wife and I spotted what we think was a Model 3 with a camouflauge wrap and Tesla lettering on the side much like the Model S veterans car. It was in the oncoming lane and we only saw it for about a second. I know for certain that the camoflauge pattern was distinctly different from the Model S veterans car pictures in the thread I link to above; the pattern I saw yesterday was like the more modern UCP "digital" camouflauge style but of course greatly enlarged compared to what is used on uniforms.

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

A few months ago, someone posted the "Vets" MS with the new digital camo look. I can't find it now.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Was it like these (from google image search):
    upload_2017-9-16_10-22-29.png

upload_2017-9-16_10-22-50.png

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Hank, thanks for posting those photos. I did not realize that Tesla had updated their Model S veterans car with different camoflauge compared to what was spotted over a year ago (photo of that earlier car shown below).

It is possible that what I saw yesterday was the car you posted photos of. But I still think it could have been a Model 3. Maybe Tesla took on of the RC cars and wrapped it. Seems unlikely they would take a production series car and do that, given the wait list.

[​IMG]

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I like those camo turbines on the old version. They should have updated them to the digital camo on the new version!

But looking at the first photo I posted -- are those 22" turbines from the Model X?

I may need to get me a set of those. :)

6. C141medic

C141medic Member

Does anyone know if Tesla offers a military discount as some of the other American manufacturers?

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Tesla doesn't offer discounts to anyone, not even Elon. However, there are discounted cars if they were loaners, showroom, refused, damaged, or out-of-date cars.

8. C141medic

C141medic Member

Thanks. Didn't think they offered anything other than the referral program (MS &MX) and the other vehicles you mentioned. Just wasn't sure.

9. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

#9 SMAlset, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Every year SSCustoms in Redwood City comes up with a different design for different service branches. They work on it much in advance and put lots of love into it. We had them do a full body wrap on our car back in March after delivery and got to see their concept drawing at that time (super job on the wrap btw). It was cool to see the actual car in photos during Veterans Day. Great place and group of guys to do your wrap and other car projects if you are in their area.

Here's a few photos from their blog post in August: Tesla Vets – SS Customs More photos if you look through their Instagram page: SS Customs (@ss_customs) • Instagram photos and videos The above blog post did mention wrapping a prototype Model S for Tesla so who knows it could have been a Model 3 you saw for some event they did one for.