Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May not want anymore. Now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the people who talk about tesla issues is only 1% of the Tesla population with no issue with their cars. If you want a daily EV driver then look into other brands.
If you want an EV with good miles and solid charging across the US, and good "self driving" consider Tesla. There's a reason they're number 1 in EV sales
sorry to herearabout Samba, that was a beautiful video to your trip to Oregon with doggo

DOG MODE - This is one of my favorite features. There is no better vehicle for taking your dog on trips. Dog Mode allows us to take our dogs on trips and go hiking with them and safely leave them in the car while we stop for lunch, shopping or site see.
Cancel order. Trust your instincts and buy the car which the micro organisms in your gutt are telling you to buy.

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
Awd is nice as my current dog car has it and I go to the snow a handful of times each winter and pass over snowy passes on many of my trips.

As for dog mode it’s cool, but other cars have a temperature hold and app control
Now. As a side note, my boyfriend has a nice setup where the dog stays in the “trunk” area with a vario barrier to keep the dog back there and plastic trunk liners keeps everything tidy. Works for a 100 lb dog and everything seems safe.

Last edited:
I would not be listening to suggestions around buying the car anyways and then selling it, the recent car market was an anomaly and likely will not be seen again until we hit a period with similar blunders in monetary policy. Central banks are raising interest rates specifically to cool demand and that tends to have an outsized impact on the used car market with the differences in how new vs used cars are typically financed.

Long story short, cars will go back to being depreciating assets that lose value as soon as you buy them. Used inventories are already building, and it's just a matter of time before that puts downward pressure on prices especially with more rate hikes coming. If the rate hikes don't sufficiently cool demand, the central banks will raise rates further -- don't fight the Fed.

Well I want it to work out , I just feel a little painted into a corner with the hit or miss quality and the strange Tesla whims. The ordering process and various horror stories have me spooked. I haven’t tried to live with a Y.

The Model S I was test owning was really great, it was just an older model so range was a little less and I felt guilty making such a nice car a dog vehicle. However the model Y seems like a noticeable step down from the S inside and out. It’s hard to swallow plastic seats honestly.
Do us all a favor and get something else. You're going into it with the wrong attitude. You've already decided it's a piece of crap. Move along, please.

Awd is nice as my current dog car has it and I go to the snow a handful of times each winter and pass over snowy passes on many of my trips.

As for dog mode it’s cool, but other cars have a temperature hold and app control
Now. As a side note, my boyfriend has a nice setup where the dog stays in the “trunk” area with a vario barrier to keep the dog back there and plastic trunk liners keeps everything tidy. Works for a 100 lb dog and everything seems safe.
Teslas automatically means more noise. Build quality isn't always perfect, but through my two Teslas, they were definitely not rattleboxes / maintenance heavy cars. For me, the revelation was the supercharger network when traveling. At least within California / Washington and Oregon - through the entire trip didn't feel range anxiety or charging concerns, you just need to accommodate that charging time within trips.

I recently purchased a CCS1 adapter to use with Electrify America charging stations and man is it a PITA! for now I wouldn't consider any other EV for seamless travel charging convenience.

Sorry but with all your mini digs on the car seems you ether have a motive or made your decision. Cancel and move on to whatever car forum interests you. Many will take your order slot so nobody will mind you leaving….

If I decide I am not that keen on the car what is the best course of action? Get it and drive for a bit and sell if I need to or just cancel my order? I have the money, I just don’t like spending it on things I am not wild about.

Note that this is not a moderator note, its ment to just be a regular person post. With that out of the way....

As already mentioned, you already answered your own question. You are not wild about the car, and why anyone would spend this much money on something they are not wild about is beyond me.

No one has any idea what the car market will be doing 2 months from now, so any advice to "just buy it and sell it if you dont like it" does not take into account that the market might be more "normal" in 2 months with cars returning to depreciating assets.

One more thing (and this part is actually a moderator note). If you want the post to stay here in this location, vs being moved to the marketplace, I would suggest not bringing up any discussion of selling reservations, etc.

Reactions: DanDi58
Part of my motivation for posting was to see if anyone else felt the same. If maybe someone would have something to say like the ownership experience isn't as much of a mess as the ordering and delivery process would suggest. Or maybe someone could provide some insight about not really fully appreciating the car from a short ride along or test drive, but rather the car grew on them over time vs. most cars that are most appealing the second you buy them. Maybe there is something specific I should do during the upcoming test drive to really appreciate it fully.

It is really a hard choice when other cars are cheaper, come with rebates, have better customer service and slowly each Tesla advantage is being ticked away. For now, Tesla still has exclusive use of the SC network and is the first for a lot of the EV tech so I just feel painted into a corner if I want an EV that has the best in some ways while other things are way below even the most budget brands.

Part of my motivation for posting was to see if anyone else felt the same. If maybe someone would have something to say like the ownership experience isn't as much of a mess as the ordering and delivery process would suggest. Or maybe someone could provide some insight about not really fully appreciating the car from a short ride along or test drive, but rather the car grew on them over time vs. most cars that are most appealing the second you buy them.

It is really a hard choice when other cars are cheaper, come with rebates, have better customer service and slowly each Tesla advantage is being ticked away. For now, Tesla still has exclusive use of the SC network and is the first for a lot of the EV tech so I just feel painted into a corner if I want an EV that has the best in some ways while other things are way below even the most budget brands.

I have 2 of these cars a 2018 Model 3 Performance and a 2022 model Y performance. I liked the model 3 enough to sell my wifes 2019 BMW X3 M40 and get the model Y performance. I have not had a bunch of issues with tesla in person, and the car buying experience is the easiest one out there. T

There is no "let me talk to my manager" no finance person trying to sell you an extended warranty on the brand new car you just got to "protect your investment", and the order form when you buy the car is like 2-3 pages, not 12+ pages of dot matrix print with hard to decipher charges that always seem to have "a mistake" in them, but that "mistake" is NEVER EVER in your favor.

Tesla service people in person are generally helpful, as long as people treat them like human beings, and dont start in with "Teslafi says my battery is in the 50th percentile, but you wont do anything!!!!! " or anything like that. In general, most (but not all) complaints here are about cosmetic things, or lack of hand holding when it comes to orders. They do break, I can point to some threads with new cars that are like that, it its somewhat rare.

There is not a huge infrastructure of repair options, so that can take a while if something happens. Reports here of many things are somewhat overblown, even though they do happen.

With that said, for some people, the lack of hand holding during the order process, or ordering a car like its a back ordered video card on amazon or something bothers them. For some others, they expect from their previous experiences with brands like BMW, Lexus, etc for the "dealer" to fall over backwards to help them, because "they bought a car from them" and that isnt happening with Tesla.

Tesla employees will help you, but in general it wont be because they treat you special because you bought a car. It will be because you treated them with respect or as humans, and not customer service lemmings (or they wont treat you like that because you didnt treat them like that).

its a different experience, but I am not going back to driving ICE vehicles, and my interactions with tesla (across 2 vehicles, Tesla solar, and later tesla powerwalls) has been fine, other than the fact that it sometimes takes a while and some prodding to resolve things.

If none of the above interests you then its probably better you cancel your order. No one should spend this much money when they are already hesitant, as every single thing will be magnified in an "I KNEW IT!!!!" manner. So, its likely better you cancel your order, or understand that they are going to operate differently, and the product is a decent one.

Well I want it to work out , I just feel a little painted into a corner with the hit or miss quality and the strange Tesla whims. The ordering process and various horror stories have me spooked. I haven’t tried to live with a Y.

The Model S I was test owning was really great, it was just an older model so range was a little less and I felt guilty making such a nice car a dog vehicle. However the model Y seems like a noticeable step down from the S inside and out. It’s hard to swallow plastic seats honestly.
Don't be spooked by all of the war stories. I just picked up my 7th Tesla, an MYP and it was a perfect delivery with no issues as all of my Tesla's were.
With 2000 miles on this one, not one regret.

I never had any major problems and very few other problems with any of the others as well, and if I did they were resolved without a hassle.

Take it.
Drive it.
See if you like it.
If you don't, you can always sell it for more than you paid.
You are gonna love it! Nothing out there compares at this point. The closest is the IONIQ 5.

Part of my motivation for posting was to see if anyone else felt the same. If maybe someone would have something to say like the ownership experience isn't as much of a mess as the ordering and delivery process would suggest. Or maybe someone could provide some insight about not really fully appreciating the car from a short ride along or test drive, but rather the car grew on them over time vs. most cars that are most appealing the second you buy them. Maybe there is something specific I should do during the upcoming test drive to really appreciate it fully.

I like my car, but at the end of the day it's still a car. But it's super convenient.
Just get in and go. Minimalist interior. Multiple driver profiles that save the individual settings for seats, mirrors, and drive modes. Built-in navigation w/ free lifetime subscription. Built-in dashcam and security system. The Tesla app that let's me control the car from my phone, free, forever. Third party data access via TeslaFi (not sure if other makes have something similar).

The point I got from the video above was that driving a Tesla is more like driving an iPad, because of Tesla's focus on software vs. traditional automakers.
The other thing is we can clearly see it when auto manufacturers just throw a battery onto an ICE frame to make a compliance vehicle, because there's never a frunk.

DOG MODE - This is one of my favorite features. There is no better vehicle for taking your dog on trips. Dog Mode allows us to take our dogs on trips and go hiking with them and safely leave them in the car while we stop for lunch, shopping or site see.
OI so agree. Dog mode is great. I used to take my dog for a long trip about 180 miles about once a month and when my old dog got sick and I kinda had to take him everywhere I went having dog mode made it so easy

I actually don’t have an EV car picked out that I like better, but haven’t really been shopping much. Until recently I planned to just get the Tesla. I have started to see a variety of EV and ICE cars with nice interiors and “autopilot” and wonder what I am doing waiting over a year for a potential rattle box.
The grass is always greener... You know the Tesla well enough to have spotted issues you dont like, which is good, but you should remember that other EVs (and ICE cars for that matter) will also have problems, often in areas where the Tesla excels.

In your place I think I would stick it out, drive it and sell if still disappointed. The long order wait time has given me opportunity to snoop around for alternatives and for me, the only reasonable ones involve a lead time as well.

A slight aside: I’ve come across a few comments on the non-leather seats, so I went through the first 8 pages of the Interior/Exterror subforum and there was nothing about seats. I assume most people are happy with them? My Model S has whatever they called the non leather seats in 2012/2013 and I love them and am a little worried the Model Y seats won’t be as comfortable. At the time I bought the MS I liked them better than the leather (easier to get a test drive back then) and the only regret is at the time they didn’t include a seat heater (but cost $1500 less). At any rate, the dog frequently travels in the MS and the seats have held up well.

I know you’re getting some snarky answers but I honestly don’t understand. Your boyfriend has one. That should be enough to know whether you like the car enough to buy one yourself. You should take his for a week to really get to know it. Most people in your situation wouldn’t have the benefit of having a significant other who has the same car they were looking to purchase.