Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May not want anymore. Now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MY on order that is due Septemberish and now I am not sure that I want it anymore. I do have a test drive scheduled for later this week to help me decide , but I never take cars out long on test drives. My biggest concerns are 1. they are really cheap inside for the price and 2. since I ordered in November a lot of other EVs with autopilot and good range have come out. My boyfriend has a Y so I have ridden along plenty and I had a fully loaded up Model S for a few months, but haven’t spent much time living with the Y. I will use it primarily for long trips and hauling my dog around.

If I decide I am not that keen on the car what is the best course of action? Get it and drive for a bit and sell if I need to or just cancel my order? I have the money, I just don’t like spending it on things I am not wild about.

Reactions: rick8560
I have a MY on order that is due Septemberish and now I am not sure that I want it anymore. I do have a test drive scheduled for later this week to help me decide , but I never take cars out long on test drives. My biggest concerns are 1. they are really cheap inside for the price and 2. since I ordered in November a lot of other EVs with autopilot and good range have come out. My boyfriend has a Y so I have ridden along plenty and I had a fully loaded up Model S for a few months, but haven’t spent much time living with the Y. I will use it primarily for long trips and hauling my dog around.

If I decide I am not that keen on the car what is the best course of action? Get it and drive for a bit and sell if I need to or just cancel my order? I have the money, I just don’t like spending it on things I am not wild about.
I believe you have already answered your own question. Cancel the order and purchase the other EV that you are really interested in :cool:.

I actually don’t have an EV car picked out that I like better, but haven’t really been shopping much. Until recently I planned to just get the Tesla. I have started to see a variety of EV and ICE cars with nice interiors and “autopilot” and wonder what I am doing waiting over a year for a potential rattle box.

I believe you have already answered your own question. Cancel the order and purchase the other EV that you are really interested in :cool:.

I actually don’t have an EV car picked out that I like better, but haven’t really been shopping much. Until recently I planned to just get the Tesla. I have started to see a variety of EV and ICE cars with nice interiors and “autopilot” and wonder what I am doing waiting over a year for a potential rattle box.
You have answered your own question again and already made your decision. You are not going to be happy with the Tesla. Cancel the order :cool:.

Last edited:
Please cancel the order. There are plenty of people that will be happy to take your place in line. Also no electric car is the best answer for traveling long distances with a dog. You can go much further with no waiting for the battery to charge plus you will get much more car for your money buying a car that has a gas or diesel engine.

Not sure what build date your bf’s Model Y is, but some would argue here, me included, the build quality of current production Model Y is quite different than what initially was coming out of Fremont in 2020. I went and test drove some of the earlier builds and comparably the Y I was in the other day with 5 miles on it, it’s come quite a long way in the overall “togetherness” and fit and finish detail.

I’m currently waiting on delivery as well later this year and have been in your shoes wondering if I want the car.

These are the few things I keep finding when I go to other manufacturers looking for comparable EVs. I’ve test driven and rented them all.

1) current availability is horrible no matter the car you choose, wait times and scarcity make this difficult all over the board. Also be prepared to pay markup, could be $2k could be $11k I’ve heard some crazy stuff.

2) if you’re looking to road trip it, the supercharger network is the best hands down. First hand experience of road tripping both a long range ID4 and Long range Mach-e and the networks are close to a disaster. I could elaborate. This is in SoCal, which my bet goes to for the furthest along EV infrastructure in the country, maybe the Bay Area is tied. The others also have range on the smaller side of “road trippable”. Range really is a limiting factor with any EV crossover (model y does best) unless you push into the plug-in ICE market.

3) interior size and space is the most practical in the model Y. I have a dog as well and need to haul things from time to time and all of the other manufacturers just don’t offer the same space as logically, in my opinion.

4) if performance means anything to you, a Tesla delivers the power smoothly and effortlessly. Otherwise if you’re wanting more in that department you’re going to a Taycan which puts you in a completely different segment and price range. I’ve thought multiple times the Polestar 2 delivers power in an interestingly buff manner, but lacks the smooth drivetrain of Tesla.

5) if you really do hate it after all, just resell it. Or lease it (Tesla has iffy lease deals from a financial standpoint but it leaves it open ended)

My .02. Don’t talk yourself into something you don’t love, but also do your research and go drive and rent the others. That’s what I’ve done.

Well I want it to work out , I just feel a little painted into a corner with the hit or miss quality and the strange Tesla whims. The ordering process and various horror stories have me spooked. I haven’t tried to live with a Y.

The Model S I was test owning was really great, it was just an older model so range was a little less and I felt guilty making such a nice car a dog vehicle. However the model Y seems like a noticeable step down from the S inside and out. It’s hard to swallow plastic seats honestly.

If you want it, buy it, and enjoy it.

If you don't want it, go buy something else.

Not sure why that's complicated

Well I want it to work out , I just feel a little painted into a corner with the hit or miss quality and the strange Tesla whims. The ordering process and various horror stories have me spooked. I haven’t tried to live with a Y.

The Model S I was test owning was really great, it was just an older model so range was a little less and I felt guilty making such a nice car a dog vehicle. However the model Y seems like a noticeable step down from the S inside and out. It’s hard to swallow plastic seats honestly.
I tested most of the EV available (Jaguar I-Pace, VW ID.4, Mustang Mach-E, Hyundai and Kia ....)
but always found that Teslas are simpler and nicer to drive, and so far the Tesla Super charger is a real advantage.
To get some more input regarding the current EVs, I like the test drive videos made by Bjørn Nyland.

About the seats, I don't like leather (or leatherette), it looks nice but it's cold in winter and hot in summer.
I wish there was an option for getting fabric seat covers instead, like the VW GTI Tartan seats,

I wanted to have seats covers anyway, especially because I often carry various stuffs on the back seat,
I find more simple to use the back seat than the trunk, because I park in a garage and the rear door is against a wall when parked.

So, I put some black neoprene seats covers from Wet Okole.
I really like the touch and the added layer of neoprene makes the seats even more comfortable.

But I was thinking in your case, to carry a dog, depending on it's size there are several threads providing some recommendations:

Last edited:

If your boyfriend has a Y you should be able to test drive his to your hearts content and decide whether or not you want it for yourself. Worst case scenario you cancel and lose your $100 or $250 order fee depending when you ordered. If you take delivery of it, you could definitely flip it for more than you paid via sites like Carvana, Vroom, carbuyerUsa etc. or make even more selling privately. Although I think that’s a pain. No one else has the charging infrastructure or range of the Teslas at the price point. Even with the raised prices. The Model Y LR gets 330 miles of range. These are my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: AquaY and VegasMYP
I agree with others, if you need a car soon your options are limited. I had an issue where I was supposed to get my MYP on 6/21 but it was damaged and now expected around the end of this month 7/29. I saw a few other cars that might work for our family and are not EV but nice and extremally good MPG. When i inquired with a few dealers they declined to even take a deposit as they said the wait time is extreme as in 6-24 months. The bad is i feel a little stuck now but the good is Tesla is actually faster than my other choices. I could just cancel as my current vehicle is in great shape and quite nice but not liking have a 15 mpg truck we rarely use as a truck and that leaves us using my wife's SUV which isn't much better.

If you get a car with a premium interior you will feel bad about letting the dog ride in it... I prefer to think of the seat material as "fancy pants vinyl" rather than plastic. As a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) I would prefer a 100% natural sustainable interior like leather myself.

Keith