TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maybe It's Me, but Too Many Snarky Posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by lencap, Apr 21, 2019.

1. pscarroll

pscarroll Member

#21 pscarroll, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    I have to say that people on this forum are awful people. I find the same with Tesla owners I encounter in real life at superchargers, most say hello but won't talk and scurry off to their vehicles. Disappointing. I have enough stress in my life after investing in a car that breaks all the time, forum users that could care less what problems there are with this vehicle, non-existent support from the manufacturer, it's just torture having a Tesla with Tesla owners hating on those of us that have problems with our vehicles. It's pointless to be on this forum unless things are perfect with your vehicle. I've even been censored by the forum moderators for saying something they didn't like. Enough is enough. Later losers.

• Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm not sure if I've noticed that.

To me it has a fairly predictable amount of snark for a tech centric site that mostly male dominated. We certainly could use more diversity to help soften up the place, and to get a more wide ranging amount of opinions.

The biggest drawback I see is there tends to be a war between the pro-Tesla folks, and the anti-Tesla folks. I'm somewhere in the middle, and at times it feel like people are throwing stones at each other.

• Disagree x 1
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Agree with your OP 100%.

Sometimes the replies aren't just snark, sometimes they are nasty, as you point out. I've been on the receiving end numerous times.

This is part of why I sometimes take a hiatus from here for months at a time or sometimes wade back in but lurk only while logged out, while resisting the temptation to login and reply at all. Totally agree on the bolded part.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I don't believe your judgement of people at a Tesla supercharger is fair. I'm not the most friendly person to strangers, but I'll gladly answer any question a person has. I'm just not exactly the most approachable. People have stuff to do, and to lots of people a car is just a tool. So they're not going to see a Supercharger as anything more than a gas station.

Usually the most lively group is going to be away from cities where people are on road trips.

As to this forum.

A lot of the hostility I see is the a directly result of all the changes Tesla/Elon has made. It's hard to be friendly when things are undergoing so much change.

We also have people who have had great experiences, and other people with terrible experiences. So there is a complete disconnect between the two sides.

My hope is we'll see calmer waters from Tesla, and more focus on quality control along with better customer service.

If people had more positive experiences then they might no be so hostile on here.

We also need more completion because with good competition means people can't be so brand loyal. There are a few bad apples that are so brand loyal to Tesla that they'll just attack anyone that says anything negative. Then there are people so bitter that they won't let people who have positive experiences express them without some snarky reply.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I agree with OP, there are too many Snarkies/bullies on this forum and unfortunately I see knowingly/unknowingly folks are encouraging such people by clicking fun/agree etc.

At the same time I see very knowledgeable, down to the earth folks also on this forum. Though I myself felt heartburn few time with meaningless snarky posts, but in the end I saw enough good folks to hang around here.

If someone Highlight a problem with their car, these hardcore fanboy seems to feel like a personal attack against them. Hopefully someday those folks will mature enough.

If everyone starts disagree or ignore those kind of snarky/bullying posts, they will gradually change their behavior(Hopefully :rolleyes:).

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I like to consider myself a mirror.

Humble questions, statements, and inquiries get friendly, patient responses.

Saying vitriolic stupid *sugar* while lacking business sense, common sense, and actual ownership experience get less friendly, less patient responses.

A good barometer of healthy, helpful and friendly discourse is when my posts stop getting reported and moved to snippiness. ;)

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  7. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

If someone is unhappy about a problem with their car, obviously their post reflect that. We do not need to give an snarky remark about it. If you can help them with your knowledge that is great, or atleast if you calm them with some assuring message, or some relevant data, that is great too.

But it does not help anyone on the forum giving a snarky comment other than snarky commenter's ego.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  8. Brian's ReX

Brian's ReX Member

I hope I'm not alone in this sentiment.... But I love the opposing sides to any post! I have my definite views on most things... and I - of course - think I'm right... However, I'm not opposed to the possibility that my views and ideas may not be the absolute truth. If some logical, reasonable person has good input and insight... I love to read about it.

Will it change my own viewpoint? Eh.. maybe, but maybe not. But I'm open. This is what I love about this forum!

I don't have any wish to block or ignore any poster. Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint. All I ask is that we all make those viewpoints and/or argue our expertise in a manner that provides for healthy, informative banter.

Yes, there are those that I may read a few sentences and decide that their purpose is not to enlighten, but to insult. I will still read their post in it's entirety. But unless they bring up legitimate points, I just read, and move on. No harm, no foul.

After all... Aren't the vast majority of us here for information and insight? I am. It doesn't offend me if someone disagrees with me...

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

pscaroll is trolling.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  10. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Personally I love a good scrap. It’s exciting to see bold declarative statements where someone ends up eating crow or emerge victorious against the haters.

My opinion is it’s all good as long as you can intelligently defend your position. Also if you throw heat, you need to take heat as well.

When it stings.. there’s probably some truth there. :D

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

As others have said, it's just the nature of message boards in general. As the number of members increase on the forum you will notice more and more of it.

12. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

Very well said Brian! I also read the complete posts and try to understand their point of view. I never blocked anyone despite I disagree with them on specific comment/post, I still read their response, and when I like their response, I rate those post accordingly(I try only rate for that specific response, not based on who the person is, and what they wrote earlier). Problems I am referring, where snarky/bully comments does not provide any value/information other than to insult OP or other user.

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

Looks like pscarroll is on disagree spree today for some reason! :rolleyes:
    Funny thing is, I am also against snarky/bully comments, and seems he is also really mad about it.

• Informative x 2
  14. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

It was inevitable as soon as Tesla ramped up Model 3 production.

Prior to that Tesla owners were a loyal bunch that put up with poor build quality and the many physical faults with the cars.

However, a new type of owner now also buys Tesla cars. They expect the build quality and service of their previous manufacturer and unfortunately Tesla just aren’t there (yet).

• Like x 1
  15. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

What I think is hilarious is he disagreed with my post that actually supported him.

Where I clearly stated that some of the contention was people that had bad experiences were getting attacked by fanboi's who had blind loyalty to Tesla.

So all he did was prove that he was just so bitter about his bad experience that he was incapable of proper discourse.

Unfortunately he's emotionally compromised. Hopefully Tesla can fix the issue he has with his car so he doesn't continue to go to such extremes as attacking supercharger.info which is a FREE service to the Tesla community.

• Like x 2
  16. nervus

nervus Supporting Member

Probably you are all too touchy :D You should read the dutch part of the forum ... :p But then: we are always direct-to-the-point ;)

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

My delivery experience between my 2015 Model S, and my 2018 Model 3 were night and day differences.

The Model S delivery experience wasn't perfect, but overall it was enjoyable. The car was ready to go, and even with a bow on it. The car was spotless, and there wasn't any issues with it. It was very much like most Model S experiences. The service team was really good, and I didn't have any issues scheduling service.

The Model 3 on the other hand was a bit hellish. I won't go into details, but it wasn't anything like the Model S in terms of build quality or the delivery experience.

It was inevitable as it's really hard to scale that quickly.

Ultimately I think Tesla made the wrong car at the wrong time. It would have cost them dearly if they had competition, but they don't have competition. Not in any real sense.

Hopefully they'll get things straightened out by the Model Y.

It's so bad now that I have no idea who I would even email if I did have a serious problem that needed to be addressed. As far as I know everyone has left.

18. Fernand

Fernand Member

Seems to reflect the contentious mood of America. Which state of affairs, BTW, was engineered, sadly quite effectively. Give people anonymity and many express themselves brutally, it's in the air. And we have younger people who don't realize they too are slowly dying.

I sense a bit of a parallel with Apple forums, where people who express legitimate frustration are often pounced upon by the fanboys, who for some unfathomable reason see justifying the impersonal moves of a money-making corporation as a personal crusade.

And we have people who are in short positions on Tesla stock, and will do anything to augment negatives, and the long position guys doing the opposite.

On many forums people are "in this together", with a common passion or interest. A necessary commodity like a car perhaps isn't all that much of a brotherly bond.

• Like x 1
  19. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

This is what you get with freedom of speech/text, the age of internet, and too few resources on moderation ;)

The internet is a place where people can write everything they don't dare tell their psyhcologist.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-of-what-is-on-the-internet-is-true-and-factual

• Funny x 1
  20. Fernand

Fernand Member

#40 Fernand, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    We've entered a new phase of social being.
    Epistemology itself has been undermined.

There are people stating that the cosmos is
    6,000 years old, and they will tell you that
    your Carbon 14 dating is wrong - it assumes
    that isotopes always decay at the same rate
    and you have no evidence. Deal with that!
    It's reached the point where anyone can
    say "it's just your opinion, man" and believe
    that SoAndSo's a lizard from outer space.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1