TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maybe It's Me, but Too Many Snarky Posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by lencap, Apr 21, 2019.

1. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Sheesh! Next thing they’ll claim that “dark matter” is mathematical bullcrap!

2. Fernand

Fernand Member

I'll have a dark matter in my driveway, as soon as
    my model 3 is chrome-deleted w/ windows tinted.

• Funny x 3
  3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

My experience here, like in many other areas of life, is that you get back what you put in. If you're getting a poor return on your participation here, it might be worth a little self-reflection.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. longshadows

longshadows Member

As sad as it is, why should a Tesla board be any different than the society in general. Be it politics, religion, dieting styles, etc. there is less tolerance and willingness to listen to divergent viewpoints and/or shortcomings. All we can do is "ignore," but that does not improve the situation.

5. pdq

pdq Member

Lencap: the vast majority of people on this list are hard core Tesla disciples who love their cars unconditionally. There are others that take issue with problems, how they are treated at the Service Center, and Tesla's weird corporate policies about servicing cars, changing prices back & forth, and their CPO policies and practices. I think the latter group posts what you refer to as Snarky messages (btw -- I love that word) and while they have a different POV than the vast majority, it's typically based on personal experience which has left them disappointed or angry, and often this comes across as snarky. I don't thing that's their intent, they are just sharing how they've been treated.

6. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

#46 MXWing, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    When you roll up to a supercharger and have no idea who the patsy is - it’s probably you.

Instead of laser focus on why no one wants to talk to you or be your friend, - realize you are probably not a very compelling person.

If your car was interesting, or if you were interesting - people will take pause and extend beyond the basic courtesies.

Possibly in addition to your lack of magnetism, people have priorities greater than socialization at the moment.

You need to respect that.

Word of advice from a “loser” - you can take to heart or ignore at your continued ostracizing:

If you want help - come across as a person who someone would WANT to help.

You cannot insult the same people that you desire validation and support from. That’s “biting the hand that feeds you.”

7. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

#47 chinnam3, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    I think the problem stated by OP and as well as many others is opposite of what you are thinking(Fanboys problem). Ofcourse once in a while we have the problem you stated(like some posts in this thread shows who got frustrated with Tesla), but those many times exacerbated by fanboys snarky remarks.

People carried away by emotions, lose the balance. What I observed in the forum is, these snarky remarkers really use trigger words to elicit those emotions, and I guess they get some kind of sense of satisfaction.

But again to be fair, it not as bad as Tesla official forums.

• Like x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Referring to people as “fanboys” is equally offputting to enthusiasts as being “blind loyalists” to those new to Tesla.

Despite ownership of 3 Tesla’s and participation here, I don’t consider myself a fanboy.

I’m 4 days now trying to get an online car account issue resolved for a Tesla I took delivery of last week.

I can make all types of commentary on how screwed up this is, why doesn’t Tesla get their act together, why don’t they exhibit business common sense, why don’t they have a proper and consistent on boarding process, why doesn’t Elon still not have a Twitter nanny, etc etc.

I know Tesla’s issues as well as anyone and can manage opposing threads like “luckiest owners” and most “screwed owners" at the same time.

Categories of luckiest Tesla owners.
    Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

When it's all said and done:

1 - We are better with Tesla than without Tesla.
    2 - For what Tesla is doing, no one has done it better.
    3 - You cannot disconnect Tesla's finances from the product. Financials go dead, so does the supercharger and service centers.
    4 - The universe does not allow hot without crazy.

Do actual Tesla fanboys exist? Sure but they are in the minority. Most people here by definition are enthusiasts but are all pretty reasonable. As long as you are friendly and seek to learn with a humble heart, the TMC community is fantastic.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

I agree, the level on TMC is pretty high and i indeed, learnt a lot. Now of course, they're a few you may want to avoid...

• Like x 1
  10. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

This is falling on deaf ears, literally. Looks like he was banned this morning.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. robski

robski Member

IMO part of the reason for the high level of snark is because EVs and Teslas are still foreign to most people, so the number of so called 'dumb' questions is still stacked pretty high. There's enough people anywhere just waiting to tell you how much smarter they are than you.

I do find the unexpected acceleration threads amusing though.

12. Seven7

Seven7 Member

The area I notice the most combat in is the Model 3: ordering, production and delivery. Not sure why, but it seems to bring out the hostilities.

13. groovidad

groovidad Living the Dream!

I agree with OP. I, too, notice some rather "unsavory" responses, at times. Some, I believe, come here just to sow the seeds of discontent. (Utter failure for them, NOT those of us "in the know") Others may have had a bad day or a chord is struck that is not intended to do so by the sender. My take is to ignore the negative yet, I have no compunction to let a poster know that they are out of line. I'm not the TMC moderator nor the police of this great platform but, let's face it, civility and the spirit of knowledge is at play here, NOT folks quirks.

• Like x 1
  14. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

There are different aspects to it. Despite having problem with Initial quality of my car and worse new car purchase experience I ever had, I convinced more than 15 folks to purchase Teslas(Have couple of chargers lying around now, and some referrals expired this Feb, and I have not done for referral sake either as for many I did not even bother asking them to use my referral code). Gave rides to many folks and showed them the merits.

I praised them where there is a merit(lots of those), but also high light the issues where there are. I can't blindly accept everything Tesla does. Literally couple of weeks ago my brother bought one, and when I went to his place to check it out, still missing clips all over for fender liners, this I am talking about VIN in 225k range. So, it is 50/50 chance that you would get a car without proper inspection/parts installed even after producing 300k cars. Easily visible item, but somehow no one cares.

Same goes for Headlight alignment, now they know how to properly align headlight with Bumper, but alas, no, one is protruding by 3/8 inch another almost flush. For example blacked out rear view camera while giving these demo's was embarrassing, so does still not correctly transferring calls via Bluetooth connection. Many times, I feel responsible for Tesla, because these folks are buying these cars on my recommendation(it adds to frustration).

With Model 3, Tesla is not just catering for enthusiast any more. Sold more than all other ICE/EV luxury offering together It is mainstream offering now. Many people who never thought they would swing for a Tesla bought this car. So expectations would be along those lines in that price range of ICE cars.

Remember Prius, initially it has similar share, but later they sold hundred of thousands(Hey I do not want to talk about look of Prius).

So, as a forum for mainstream car now, we should accept criticism just like we accept praise and temper our annoyance with some newbie questions, some hard questions/faults with Tesla.

• Like x 1
  15. Stites_jx

Stites_jx Member

Amen my friend!!! Truth be told!

16. Lsquared

Lsquared Member

Very helpful!

17. Lsquared

Lsquared Member

Well put. The best support for Tesla has to include honest feedback to improve it.