Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe It's Me, but Too Many Snarky Posts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings -

I don't mean to start a war, nor to troll, but I've been surprised by the tone in many posts. I get that there are strong feelings and opinions, and many technical discussions/perspectives, but the level of Snarky replies is tiring. Yes, I'm an "old guy", and fondly remember when "civil discourse" was just that, not armed combat. I'm not asking anyone to adjust to my norm, but I'm just asking everyone to consider replying with what used to be called common courtesy. If someone makes a comment, and there is disagreement, it is necessary to have a Snarky reply as the default response?

There are lots of very helpful posts on this forum, lots of great information, and lots of knowledge. I relied on all of that when making my decision to buy a Tesla, and this forum is unique for providing that. Without this site I'd have made some poor choices about which model to buy and what options to include. Thanks to everyone for the collective wisdom.

At the same time, I notice that even minor mistakes are subject to immediate bashing, often resulting in nasty replies, which evolve into battles and competing posts. It becomes an Alpha Male contest, one that I'm not interested in joining or supporting in any way. I'm a member of many different forums - across a wide range of topics. There is definitely a lot of disagreement in many of these forums, but unfortunately this Forum seems to be the biggest source of Snark among the many I frequent.

OK, rant over. I am hoping for "gentle" replies, but if not, so be it. It won't make me stop returning to the site, but it will make me visit less often. Life's too short to be bombarded constantly. And I, for one, choose not to participate. Like I said, "Maybe it's me, but..."

Greetings -

I don't mean to start a war, nor to troll, but I've been surprised by the tone in many posts. I get that there are strong feelings and opinions, and many technical discussions/perspectives, but the level of Snarky replies is tiring. Yes, I'm an "old guy", and fondly remember when "civil discourse" was just that, not armed combat. I'm not asking anyone to adjust to my norm, but I'm just asking everyone to consider replying with what used to be called common courtesy. If someone makes a comment, and there is disagreement, it is necessary to have a Snarky reply as the default response?

There are lots of very helpful posts on this forum, lots of great information, and lots of knowledge. I relied on all of that when making my decision to buy a Tesla, and this forum is unique for providing that. Without this site I'd have made some poor choices about which model to buy and what options to include. Thanks to everyone for the collective wisdom.

At the same time, I notice that even minor mistakes are subject to immediate bashing, often resulting in nasty replies, which evolve into battles and competing posts. It becomes an Alpha Male contest, one that I'm not interested in joining or supporting in any way. I'm a member of many different forums - across a wide range of topics. There is definitely a lot of disagreement in many of these forums, but unfortunately this Forum seems to be the biggest source of Snark among the many I frequent.

OK, rant over. I am hoping for "gentle" replies, but if not, so be it. It won't make me stop returning to the site, but it will make me visit less often. Life's too short to be bombarded constantly. And I, for one, choose not to participate. Like I said, "Maybe it's me, but..."

Agreed but to be honest with you its like that in most forums these days. There just a level of disregard of others feelings these days that to me is sad. We can talk about politics or not these days, but today for example, its easter and there were people with signs with religious sayings and everything. This guy in a nissan covertible flips them off and drives away. DRIVES AWAY. Why can he say it in front of the people with the signs.

Similarly the snarkiness and disregard of others feelings in this forum and many ours... people would not have B*lls to do this in a persons face.

I'm not old, though I am not young either. I'm in my 30s.

I had the same issue with this forum but after a couple on the ignore list my experience is much better overall.

It does get a bit weird when someone quotes them in a reply, otherwise pretty perfect experience. There are a lot of really smart people here, and some of them really like to be right. I have this tendency myself but try to keep it in check, I sometimes succeed.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil it for you.

There are a few here that are a bit harsher than is necessary. I usually just ignore them. No, I do not mean I use the ignore button. I’ll just get the gist of their post in the first few sentences. If I find them to be too mean, angry, maliciously snarky, etc then I just move on to the next post in the thread or to a new thread entirely. There are times when such individuals do contribute useful posts and I don’t want to miss that. Other times they could post something completely ridiculous and I can’t help but laugh.

What I think is more important is that everyone here tries to be as constructive and helpful as possible. That’s been my goal and I like to think I am one of the many people here that helps make TMC a great forum.

On the road, there are Road Rages.
On the forums, there are "Forum Rages".

I coin the term "Forum Rage". 4/21/2019 Leafdriver333

Are you trying to demonstrate forum rage by marking disagree with every post in this thread regardless of its content?

If so its a very successful demonstration, and I learned today.