Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mazda Skyactive ICE presentation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We believe that the EV-level of well-to-wheel CO2 emissions is achievable with approx. 25%improvements from that of the current SKYACTIV. Once EVs have held a large share of the market,tremendous amount of electricity will have to be generated. As a result, EVs will be unable toobtain benefits from the current electric price due to the electric price increase.

If this happens, people will most likely accelerate decentralizing electricity generation.

What these so called well to wheels arguments always ignore is the huge amount of electricity used to manufacture gasoline.
Last time I checked it took between 4-6kWh of electricity per gallon of gas.
So less gas being made equals more electricity to move my car around.

What these so called well to wheels arguments always ignore is the huge amount of electricity used to manufacture gasoline.
Last time I checked it took between 4-6kWh of electricity per gallon of gas.
So less gas being made equals more electricity to move my car around.
Your probably thinking of bogus claims that it takes 4-6 kWh of grid electricity to refine a gallon of gasoline. The correct number is around 0.15-0.30 kWh per gallon of gasoline. It does take 4-6 kWh of non-electrical energy mostly in the form of fossil fuels much of which are unsaleable leftovers from previous refining. Therefore much of this fossil energy would not exist if gasoline wasn't already being refined. This energy could be used to generate electricity but that conversion would only have the usual 30-50% efficiency by the time it reached your wall socket.

There is other energy used in gasoline production such as extracting the oil and distribution between the oil field and the gas station. The total of all grid electricity used from oil field to someone's gas tank is probably no more than 2.5 kWh on average.

You can find some useful previous discussion about this on another thread here:
Tesla vs ICE pollution - Page 2