TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mazda Skyactive ICE presentation

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Caligula, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

2. Takumi

Takumi Member

If this happens, people will most likely accelerate decentralizing electricity generation.

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Bingo. Unless the cost of solar panels jumps substantially for some strange reason then their assessment is incorrect.

4. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

What these so called well to wheels arguments always ignore is the huge amount of electricity used to manufacture gasoline.
    Last time I checked it took between 4-6kWh of electricity per gallon of gas.
    So less gas being made equals more electricity to move my car around.

5. Caligula

Caligula Member

I have no issue with this.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Overnight charging.

7. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Your probably thinking of bogus claims that it takes 4-6 kWh of grid electricity to refine a gallon of gasoline. The correct number is around 0.15-0.30 kWh per gallon of gasoline. It does take 4-6 kWh of non-electrical energy mostly in the form of fossil fuels much of which are unsaleable leftovers from previous refining. Therefore much of this fossil energy would not exist if gasoline wasn't already being refined. This energy could be used to generate electricity but that conversion would only have the usual 30-50% efficiency by the time it reached your wall socket.

There is other energy used in gasoline production such as extracting the oil and distribution between the oil field and the gas station. The total of all grid electricity used from oil field to someone's gas tank is probably no more than 2.5 kWh on average.

You can find some useful previous discussion about this on another thread here:
    Tesla vs ICE pollution - Page 2