Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MBA Business Case on Tesla Strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a huge car enthusiast (Audi TT owner) and a big fan of the Tesla Roadster. But I'm even more interested in the business concept of Tesla Motors. So interested, in fact, that I convinced my MBA group in our advanced strategy class to choose Tesla Motors for a business Case write-up over the next 7 weeks. Anyone interested in helping?

Our goal is to determine how the company should proceed going forward, seeking to apply advanced strategic concepts around vertical integration (continue outsourcing design/manufacture or not) and product diversification (sports car plus mass production vehicle?). What I'm really hoping to find is a connection to an employee at Tesla Motors who may be interested in the recommendations of our team. We could also use as much info as possible about the future mass production vehicle strategy. Let me know what you guys think!

I'm not someone that can help you, but I wish you the best of luck.

I think they hit the right market at the right time, and they did it in the right way. They went for high end sports car, which I think is the right choice because it's a unique niche that hits the people most interested and with the money to support it.

I see a pitfall of the future being going for it all. If they try and compete with the mass production mainline I think they'll eventually fall. I believe that they now have a name as a sports car company and I'd stick right there, at least until better energy storage comes along.

I'd go for the BMW-Audi-Mercedes high priced sporty sedans next.

I am actually doing a ficticious marketing plan for Tesla Motors. My plan is outlining a internet initiated viral marketing strategy and how to stimulate wide scale awareness and demand for the vehicle. Provided Tesla already has greater demand than capacity will allow, eventually that will not be the case. The image needed to support a huge technology shift in this embedded industry will require much reassurance from a consant positive advertising/ marketing campaign. I believe Tesla Motors has the ability to usher in a new era of automotive transportation. Good luck on you project.