Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

McAllen TX to Austin TX recent trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things have changed a bit since my first trip on this route when I picked up my Model 3 SR + in Austin in 2021. Many more new Superchargers and much more knowledge helps on this 650 mile round trip.

The biggest South Texas addition is the Supercharger in Alice TX which breaks up the long stretch from McAllen to Three Rivers. I still ended up stopping in Three Rivers for a top-off charge. You can make it to Three Rivers from McAllen (162 miles) but you might limp in and have a long charging time.

North of San Antonio on Interstate 35 are many more Superchargers than before (Selma, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle, South Austin) so that is an assortment of riches. Supercharger in New Braunfels (Buc-ee's) works well being right on the frontage road, 20 chargers, Texas legend.

On the route back I just stopped at the same three chargers. I was driving in the mornings on Tuesday and Wednesday and by and large, I was the only Tesla charging at those stations.

I used the Autopilot more on this trip than before. It has improved a lot with the lane detection, especially near the exits where the stripes disappear for a short time. Some phantom breaking (2-3 mph) usually when cresting a small rise. No hills in South Texas!

One new trick I learned is that if the cruise/Autopilot is set (e.g. 75 mph - speed limit) and you want to increase the speed slightly, you can use the right scroll wheel. Never knew that!

Also interestingly, Tesla navigation took me off Interstate 35 to the frontage roads through the Wed. morning San Antonio traffic and that saved a bit of time.

Sunflowers were in bloom near Alice TX on US 281 South. Beautiful!

IMG_1119.jpg

From my house to Three Rivers it’s 179 miles. Not a bad stretch for an X, but if strong north headwinds maybe have to slow down.

However I hate that charger because the parking situation at that Love’s is always crazy plus it’s super busy and a V2 charger at that.

With the Alice charger I can now make it from there to any greater San Antonio area supercharger no problem. Well worth the diversion from US281.

However I am looking even more forward to using Luling when it finally opens, for reaching 130 and bypassing San Antonio altogether, even though it means traveling smaller highways. We expect to occasionally visit Georgetown TX.

Congrats on discovering the right thumb wheel speed dial ha ha! Although I usually override temporarily as needed by pressing on the accelerator while in cruise - useful for passing. What’s nuts is the TX hill country highways, you really have to slow down for those tight curves and using the thumb wheel to do so is too hard. I usually give up on cruise.

Plus have you ever been in a TX highway out in the middle of nowhere where cruise limits your speed to well below the posted speed limit? This has happened to me several times, different locations.

Just south of Llano on SH16. We had a great Texas Hill Country wildflowers trip at the beginning of April.

IMG_2382.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie
The biggest South Texas addition is the Supercharger in Alice TX which breaks up the long stretch from McAllen to Three Rivers. I still ended up stopping in Three Rivers for a top-off charge. You can make it to Three Rivers from McAllen (162 miles) but you might limp in and have a long charging time.
I am surprised by that. Shouldn't a 162 mile stretch be EASILY doable?

Some reasons why the McAllen - Three Rivers is not so easily doable:
Standard Range + max range is 226 mi
75 mph speed limit + little traffic means high speeds
high summer heat - a/c running low
high South Texas winds - always a factor

You can make it but the computer will be complaining, trying to reroute you, keep under 70 mph etc. You'd also have to charge to the max trip charge.

At one time that 162 mile stretch was one of the 10 longest on highways between Superchargers.

179 mile stretch for me, and that is not a tough one in the Model X long range, especially with a tail wind. But I wouldn’t want to be driving into a strong north wind (not common in summer) - have to slow down probably. I’m glad Alice is there regardless. V3 charger, never busy, not as long a leg and I can skip Three Rivers.