TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

McDonalds, hot coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mongo, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
  2. Ketchups

Ketchups Member

Mind you, Lieback was an elderly woman. The elderly have thinner/more frail skin.
    If something is "too hot to drink", I simply don't drink it nor spill it on myself.

3. hill

hill Active Member

unfortunately, the rest of the world isn't as resilient, smart, intuitive, & nimble as you & i. oh, wait, I have spilled scalding coffee on myself, but I at least reacted fast enough to pull the scalding clothes away from my skin. I concede to your superiority.
    ;)

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Ketchups

Ketchups Member

#4 Ketchups, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    :D
    haha, I've burned my tongue plenty of times! (thirst > burn)
    but I've never spilled anything hot on myself...unintentionally :p

5. Ketchups

Ketchups Member

The mods are sharp today!

6. bonnie

bonnie I play a nice person on twitter.

The issue came down to that particular McDonald's had been warned during inspections that the coffee temperature was too hot. They chose to ignore that warning simply because it was easier to brew at that temperature which allowed them to pour it and not serve immediately, while still serving a hot cup.

It's foreseeable that coffee could spill, that a lid could come off, that someone could be burned. So between that and the fact they had been warned in writing about the temperature, the lawsuit was appropriate.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  7. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

I burn my tongue time to time after reheating my coffee in my microwave for too long time.

I wish microwaves have an infrared thermometer to keep heating liquids
    below 60 degree Celsius or 140 degree Fahrenheit.

I don't think it would be difficult to have a tiny hole just above the center of the microwave,
    to put an infrared thermal sensor above, and add a special button to activate the temperature limiter,
    like le Popcorn button that certain microwave have.

ThermoHAWK 400 - Touchless Infrared Thermometer
    [​IMG]

Hot Water Burn & Consumer Safety: Chart - Accurate Building Inspectors ® | 1-800-640-8285 |
    [​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Ketchups

Ketchups Member

yeah but if the coffee drove the lawyer off a cliff, who's at fault?
    :p

• Funny x 1
  9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#9 S'toon, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    The real case was much more horrific than the myth that has grown up around the case. It wasn't a "frivolous lawsuit."

• Like x 1
  10. Ketchups

Ketchups Member

"In general, elderly, who represent the fastest growing population, have been shown to be particularly susceptible to burn injuries (Pham et al., 2009). This is due to thinning skin, decreased sensations, mental alterations, or other contributing factors (Pham et al., 2009, Gerstein et al., 1993)."
    Pathophysiologic Response to Burns in the Elderly

Not everyone is going to suffer the same 'horrific' injuries. Also, the material of her pants played a role as well.

Nevertheless, it was an unfortunate incident and I'd hate to see anyone experience that. I would have covered her medical expenses in good faith and not any admission of guilt/liability.

11. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

• Like x 2
  12. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Since there's a whole thread now, I'll repeat what I PMed ketchups:

And that is why I get frozen coffee.. :)
    (or cut the normal version with water)

13. Pilar Beckner

Pilar Beckner Member

That's why I don't order coffee there. I would go for the cold one.

• Like x 1
  14. hill

hill Active Member

The only group that truly knows how onerous & powerful the insurance industry is, are those people that have had their house burn down with what's sold to you as "full replacement coverage",

(Yep - that was our 3950² foot home .... & a year later? we're still fighting for the rest of the payout) & maybe all negligence/tort attorneys know how bad the industry is .... maybe also people that watched John Travolta's performance in the movie, "A civil action" .... presuming movie watchers actually believe its horrific message. With each push from the insurance Lobby, tort attorney's recoveries - for their injured customer gets horribly worse & worse, even when weighed against the fraud claims.