TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

McGregor Texas clamps down on SpaceX testing

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, May 11, 2016.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

This article explains the new rules that the city just enacted:

McGregor: City modifies SpaceX rocket testing rules

Here are some of the highlights:

SpaceX needs to test their rockets. I wonder how much McGregor wants them to stay...

SpaceX did already agree to the changes. I expect they had no choice but to do so.

• Informative x 2
  2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Space X likely helped draft the changes.

• Like x 1
  3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Hopefully. I'm sure the city came down on them and it was better to cooperate than try to fight and lose. SpaceX has had over 10 years of free reign. It is certainly fair to the residents that they don't have to hear a rocket engine fire off at 9:45 PM or very early.

We do know that SpaceX is planning on much bigger rockets and therefore rocket engines in the near future. Maybe they will need to test them somewhere else like Boca Chica. Either that or lease or buy some land that is far off the beaten path. The problem is that workers won't want to travel to remote locations.

4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Tell that to the offshore oil industry.. they don't seem to have a problem recruiting and retaining employees

• Like x 1
  5. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Ok, true, but harvesting dirty recycled energy is a different chore than engineering a highly efficient vehicle. The quality of workers could come up.

6. ElectricTundra

They pay quite high wages because of that and workers often do 2 weeks of 12 hr shifts on the rig and then 1 week off.