Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

McLaren: Double battery density by 2018 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
McLaren are saying that by the 2018 Formula E season they will have a battery with twice the energy density of today's batteries and have signed on to supply batteries for the 5th season that will allow cars to go the full race distance.

McLaren to supply new Formula E battery - Formula E

Is there something actually behind this or more PR than technology?
they mean 2028, just a typo by the marketing department ;-)

Reactions: lklundin
Is there something actually behind this or more PR than technology?

I imagine there must be. Currently Formula-E drivers change cars half way through the race (to get "range") and the proposal is to have a single race car for the whole race, using the new batteries. Assuming they aren't twice as big, twice as heavy!, then seems to me the only solution is more energy density.

Batteries last the season. But they also currently aren't very large (33kWh) and could be more expensive than regular batteries.

Also remember that it's about the whole battery, including packaging and cooling, so they won't have to double cell density.

Going to whole race will really be a big step forward. But then the question will be which direction to take after that: more power and speed or more laps?

“My top advice really for anyone who says they’ve got some breakthrough battery technology is please send us a sample cell, okay. Don’t send us PowerPoint, okay, just send us one cell that works with all appropriate caveats, that would be great. That sorts out the nonsense and the claims that aren’t actually true.”
-Elon Musk