Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 1 slower after eMMC replacement - anyone else finding this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I just wanted to touch base with other Model X owners out there. I own a Model X 90D 2017 (by one day!) and two months back I had the MCU 1 fail on me due to the eMMC chip failure - this was replaced and everything was fine. Fast forward to two weeks ago and I had the FSD computer upgrade (already had paid for FSD when car was purchased) as of the FSD computer upgrade, the MCU seems even more sluggish and reboots take 10-15 minutes where they used to be 3-5 minutes for me.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue?

For full disclosure, after speaking to my local service centre and a chief exec after a complaint I had made, I know my Model X is a bit of a unique one in the sense of it being a titanium colour variant which has some old parts (2016) and some new parts (2017) as when they started building the car they made numerous changes to parts in the week of production. Car production started on the 26th Dec 2016 and came off the production ramp on the 1st of Jan 2017 according to Tesla Fremont - so I understand if it's just me having this issue, sadly.

Thanks all!

No. Many have had your same experience. The solution is to pay additionally for the MCU2 package.

Agree with Tam. MCU2 makes a large, very noticeable, performance difference.

Thanks for the comments. Whilst I agree on the premise of paying for MCU 2 for the performance gain, and will likely do so in the near future, I'm more intrigued to see if the fact the FSD upgrade has made the MCU 1 worse for anyone else as it has done so for me. 🙂

Thanks for the comments however! Appreciated!

Hello fellow unicorn owner! I have a very very similar to you (late-2016) Titanium colored Model X 90D with AP2. I upgraded to MCU2 when I had the FSD computer installed due to reading about the eMMC failure and the very sluggish combination of FSD computer + MCU1. The car feels like new again thanks to the MCU upgrade. I paid $2,500 for the MCU2 back then and now, with Tesla reducing that to $1,500, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

MCU1 + FSD computer is known to be very slow along with missing the visualizations, so I’d say your experience is on par with expectations.

I had MCU1 and got the FSD computer. It makes it way slower if you have the Dashcam drive inserted. Removing it helps a bit. Eventually I got the Infotainment update to MCU2 and now it works great.
Thanks for this tip!

If you plan on keeping car for some time, just go MCU2. I held out for a while not wanting to waste the money... makes a vast difference in everything. After you do it you will be kicking yourself for not just jumping sooner.

I'm debating whether or not to go down the MCU2 route - we are thinking of trading it in and going for two Model 3s. I have heard that a fair few people kick themselves for not doing it sooner!

Same here - unfortunately it will feel like every major update makes the response of the old chip more and more dated. The MCU2 is a night and day improvement.

Cheers!

Hello fellow unicorn owner! I have a very very similar to you (late-2016) Titanium colored Model X 90D with AP2. I upgraded to MCU2 when I had the FSD computer installed due to reading about the eMMC failure and the very sluggish combination of FSD computer + MCU1. The car feels like new again thanks to the MCU upgrade. I paid $2,500 for the MCU2 back then and now, with Tesla reducing that to $1,500, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

MCU1 + FSD computer is known to be very slow along with missing the visualizations, so I’d say your experience is on par with expectations.

Hello haha! I'm based in the UK here, from what I understand there's only a handful of these unicorns this side of the pond. 🙂 Thanks for this info! I'll likely go along with this once we've decided on keeping the car or not - considering buying two Model 3's instead.

No. Many have had your same experience. The solution is to pay additionally for the MCU2 package.
Wrong. The solution (if you purchased FSD) is to wait Tesla out because they will never get approval for FSD running MCU 1. One day they will be compelled to install MCU 3 or 4. We purchased FSD with the promise that they would make it work. They owe on that promise. I purchased in good faith and expect it to be fulfilled. I received the update that allows me to request FSD Beta Dec 1O. I have not received the Beta update and will be much surprised if I do. My MCU1 was upgraded to the 64g chip.

Reactions: m5james