Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 2 $3,310 in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MCU1 upgraded to a larger EMMC chip ( 8GB to 32GB ) before it would start to fail. Work was done by Bruno A. Santos, a TOCO Club Member.
thats awesome, he should start a thread about that. I am sure he will have a couple hundred takers.

i may get the MCU2 just to speed up the computer, add dash cam (I was going to spend $700 on a dashcam anyway) and add sentry mode functionality with footage. The youtube etc. isnt a big deal to me, nor is losing am/fm radio when much of the am/fm dial is available over the internet (streaming in car) at better sound quality anyway.

My car may actually already have basic sentry mode, I have no idea. March 2017 P100D, AP2.0 (for now till my FSD computer upgrade).

I had my MCU1 upgraded to a larger EMMC chip ( 8GB to 32GB ) before it would start to fail. Work was done by Bruno A. Santos, a TOCO Club Member.
Great to know even though I still have 3 years left on my warranty!

How long did it take to swap out the chip and did you take your car to Bruno or did you have to take out the chip yourself and send it to him?

Great to know even though I still have 3 years left on my warranty!

How long did it take to swap out the chip and did you take your car to Bruno or did you have to take out the chip yourself and send it to him?

I took my car to Bruno. He has to take the MCU out and send the EMMC chip component board out to a desoldering and soldering expert. I could have taken the unit out myself BUT you have to take the whole front dash apart without braking something. Total operation took 3 to 4 days pre Corona virus times.

thats awesome, he should start a thread about that. I am sure he will have a couple hundred takers.

i may get the MCU2 just to speed up the computer, add dash cam (I was going to spend $700 on a dashcam anyway) and add sentry mode functionality with footage. The youtube etc. isnt a big deal to me, nor is losing am/fm radio when much of the am/fm dial is available over the internet (streaming in car) at better sound quality anyway.

My car may actually already have basic sentry mode, I have no idea. March 2017 P100D, AP2.0 (for now till my FSD computer upgrade).

With your FSD computer upgrade you get the Dashcam and Sentrymode recording for free without having to upgrade to MCU2

With your FSD computer upgrade you get the Dashcam and Sentrymode recording for free without having to upgrade to MCU2
A couple of caveats however -- while you do get dashcam and sentrymode it is not as full-featured with MCU1.
- 3 camera recording (front and two side repeaters. With MCU2 you also get Back camera recording
- No on-screen playback of recorded videos with MCU1

Source: I have AP2.5 EAP and MCU1 and the above it what it has. I have since purchased the FDS upgrade and the MCU2 upgrade. My appointment for installation of both is in a couple of weeks for my Sept 2017 X

Reactions: Vawlkus
A couple of caveats however -- while you do get dashcam and sentrymode it is not as full-featured with MCU1.
- 3 camera recording (front and two side repeaters. With MCU2 you also get Back camera recording
- No on-screen playback of recorded videos with MCU1

Source: I have AP2.5 EAP and MCU1 and the above it what it has. I have since purchased the FDS upgrade and the MCU2 upgrade. My appointment for installation of both is in a couple of weeks for my Sept 2017 X
Can confirm, that is the same in my 2017 X. Went from AP2.0 up to the HW3.0, but can’t get the MCU2.0 upgrade yet.

The MCU1’s that they’re pulling out during the MCU2 upgrades means Tesla will have spares of the older MCU’s in stock for those that want them.
Nope
My MCU1 fried a month ago. Tesla service can't get one. I have the extended warranty on my S, so I only have to pay the deductible.
They did offer me a 10% discount, should I wish to upgrade to MCU2. Not interested - I listen to SXM about 50% of the time, and FM about 10%. Streaming is not always an option, as I drive through areas with spotty cell service.

Nice of them to offer - but I'll wait.
Also - I do like the EMMC upgrade that @mrElbe mentioned..........

My 2015 model S 85D is in the shop today in Vancouver having an MCU2 installed. The MCU1 had a 6 week delay. My car suffered failure in Calgary on the way back to Vancouver. It functions intermittently, but when blank I have no turn signals. I wish it was the price the OP listed, but I need the car running and soon. I think Tesla will quickly provide the option to upgrade rather than take the heat for these MCU1 premature failures.