Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 2 Issues: Browser and FM-HD Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Picked up my Model X 100D with the new Intel MCU right at the end of March. I have had 6 or 7 firmware updates in the 8 or so weeks I've had the car and several of the MCU bugs have been fixed, but two persist:

• My web browser (and the in-car Owners Manual) will not work unless I re-boot.The next time I get back in the car, they are non-functional again. Maps and Slacker still work, so not a connectivity issue.
  • My FM-HD radio is not working properly. I can tune in the "primary" channel, but when I select channel 2 or 3, the display will give some info but the audio will not play and after a very long delay, it will go back to playing the primary channel even though 2 or 3 is selected.
I had thought that after so many firmware upgrades this would be fixed by now, so am wondering if I need to take it in for service. I am currently running 2018.20.

Any other S or X owners with the new MCU seeing these things?

Have you reported the problems to Tesla, or would that come with you taking it in for service?

So during my first couple of weeks, there were a bunch more "glitchy" issues, including these, that I did report to Tesla. I thought I was being helpful by reporting these software issues directly to the mothership.

What they did was simply relay my concerns to my local service center who, in turned, reached out to me. After we spoke they said, yeah, these are firmware issues that need to be worked out! I told them I kinda figured that, and that's why I reported the issues directly in the first place.

I just thought by now these would have been resolved. Sounds like others are still experiencing them, so I guess I'll just wait. I was somewhat concerned that there may be hardware issues with my car.

The media player needs some care - our S 100D we received last March is having some difficulties with the HD stations too. This was more reliable before the recent software update (to the new NAV).

So the problem may not be just with MCU2 cars.

Picked up my Model X 100D with the new Intel MCU right at the end of March. I have had 6 or 7 firmware updates in the 8 or so weeks I've had the car and several of the MCU bugs have been fixed, but two persist:

• My web browser (and the in-car Owners Manual) will not work unless I re-boot.The next time I get back in the car, they are non-functional again. Maps and Slacker still work, so not a connectivity issue.
  • My FM-HD radio is not working properly. I can tune in the "primary" channel, but when I select channel 2 or 3, the display will give some info but the audio will not play and after a very long delay, it will go back to playing the primary channel even though 2 or 3 is selected.
I had thought that after so many firmware upgrades this would be fixed by now, so am wondering if I need to take it in for service. I am currently running 2018.20.

Any other S or X owners with the new MCU seeing these things?

My MCU2 Model X 75D have the exact same issue as you. There is also another bug where the camera doesn't work when you autopark.

The bugs disappear if you reboot your MCU but will reappear the next time you start your car.

I took delivery of my Model X today. The browser did not work, even during walkthrough and the guy just skipped over it saying we could look at the browser later. Still doesn’t work.
Have to try the reboot. Press and hold the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel?

I took delivery of my Model X today. The browser did not work, even during walkthrough and the guy just skipped over it saying we could look at the browser later. Still doesn’t work.
Have to try the reboot. Press and hold the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel?

Yes press and Hold both together until it turns black. I had the issue the first day I got my car (4 days ago). After the reset, I have not had an issue with the browser. Fingers crossed. Hopefully it was just the initial calibration issue.

Same issue here - picked up our X 100D last Thursday - browser didn't work until we rebooted. With MCU2, now appears that both the console and dashboard processors reboot at the same time by holding down both steering wheel thumbwheels.

Got a software update a couple days ago and that seems to have fixed the browser issue.

I think you are correct, I got the update too and it seems resolved, but time will tell. It usually happens to me when I lose all signal in a dead zone (happens to be one at my kids school).

I did, however, get into my MX and found all the screens were black. Had to reboot (hold two scroll wheels). Scary thing was, when it came back, it was in drive and started rolling forward.

I’ll remember to keep my foot on the brake if it happens again :D

• Informative
Reactions: ModlS3XY
Model X March 2018 MCU2
I had a Ranger here working on the trailer harness.
On 2018.21.9 he could not access the Owner's Manual.
He pushed 2018.24.1 and the Owner's Manual is now acessible.

I have had an unusual radio problem since day 1.
I usually only use 3 XM stations.
Many times when I exit the car, I get far enough away that the driver's door closes.
When I return the radio is now on 105.3 FM - a station that I have never selected...
When something quirky happens it always returns to 105.3 FM.
105.3 FM is NOT in my favorites.

I have lost track of the sliders in the audio system.
Did they ever go back to 12? (Not for me.)
Or is 8 the "New" 12?

Thank you,

Shawn