Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 2 Upgrade Question Regarding Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the MCU upgraded yesterday at a SoCal SC. I was told at the time of the appointment they had all of the parts including the new center screen. I was offered a discount to keep my old screen which I declined. The Tesla employee noted the account and said the car should be ready by the end of the day. I paid the final invoice of $2500 plus tax and picked the car up after hours. This morning I looked more carefully at the screen and the original screen is still there. I Know this because I had a tempered glass screen protector which I had put on slightly crooked and it was still there. I wanted to verify before I call them that indeed the center screen is the screen that is replaced in the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade and not the cluster above the steering wheel.

I could've sworn I saw a difference in brightness and color vibrance between the 2017s and older versus the 2018 and newer screens. They seem to look a lot better almost on-par to the nice color reproduction on the Model 3/Y screens.

So then does the old screen work quickly & is it more responsive? Or is performance affected by keeping the old screen?

Responsiveness and performance is same, but just look up tesla screen manufacturing issues and make up your own mind if you want to stay with your screen or get new one. The factors will be quality of your current screen, the warranty coverage, and of course the $250.

My understanding, based on couple of Tesla reps, is that that the actual LCD is below the screen that you interface with. I am not sure how correct is that but that is what they told me when I got yellow bars few months back where they fixed using UV lights. I think that is how it works with iPad too. I had to get it replaced recently and the top layer/screen you interface with is separate from the actual screen.