Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mcu 2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry not the portrait version but the other versions
I upgraded to MCU 2 earlier this year. It’s was definitely a noticeable improvement. It will have several updates, but since we do not have all the same cameras we don’t get all the 2022 display features. The upgrade also includes replacing the dash instrument panel, so improved resolution on the display. Speed is the biggest improvement. The computer responds much faster than MCU 1. I thought it was worth it. I did quite a bit of research as well and compared one to the other. Check the Tesla website and also YouTube. Cheers.

Reactions: Droschke
I had a model s 2017 manufactured in sept. definitely worth upgrades. Sentry mode worked in mine and I had access to dash, sides and rear cameras. the google search actually works as well, as before the MCU 1 google seach was basically unusable. I was told my car is pretty much on par with a 2020 Model S. I think 21 and 22 and beyond has a totaly different MCU now that we wont be able to upgrade to.

I think 21 and 22 and beyond has a totaly different MCU now that we wont be able to upgrade to.
I can confirm that. MCU-Z used in the 2021-2022 LR/Plaid is in a new location and is liquid-cooled. A dramatic amount of the electronics has changed to closer align the design with the 3/Y. The wiring harness and connectors are entirely different. CAN bus signaling is also totally different, so MCU-Z would be impossible to communicate with other parts of a pre-MCU-Z car.

Just got mcu 2 upgrade on my 2014, I’d never go back if i was asked. My ps5 actually plays on it too where as when I had the mcu1 the processor wasn’t capable of even loading it.
How many days it takes to do the MCU2 upgrade? I dropped off my 2013 MS 85 for the upgrade early in the morning today (Saturday 8/27/22), was told it would be done by tomorrow the latest. But the service advisor messaged in the afternoon and implied it might not be ready until Tuesday. Why would it take that long is still a mystery to me.

Also noticed MCU2 upgrade is charged $250 more now ($2,250 or $1,750) than when I placed order in June. My service appointment was delayed twice due to parts shortage but invoice grandfathered old price. Guess I should not complain too much.

How many days it takes to do the MCU2 upgrade? I dropped off my 2013 MS 85 for the upgrade early in the morning today (Saturday 8/27/22), was told it would be done by tomorrow the latest. But the service advisor messaged in the afternoon and implied it might not be ready until Tuesday. Why would it take that long is still a mystery to me.

Also noticed MCU2 upgrade is charged $250 more now ($2,250 or $1,750) than when I placed order in June. My service appointment was delayed twice due to parts shortage but invoice grandfathered old price. Guess I should not complain too much.
Ook nice, yea it says Tuesday probably because the techs aren’t working the weekend. As far as the price yea I heard it’s more now but since it was 1500 when you initially put the request in they’re honoring that despite the recent increase. You’ll love it

Reactions: OnMyWayOut
How many days it takes to do the MCU2 upgrade?

Once they get to your car, it should not be any longer than 24 hours. Again, the key is when to get to your car depending on their queue/workload and if they have all the parts arrived and are in a good shape.

invoice grandfathered old price.

You should be paying the old invoice price when you placed the order and approved that invoice. Just remind them to make adjustments.

Reactions: OnMyWayOut
Once they get to your car, it should not be any longer than 24 hours. Again, the key is when to get to your car depending on their queue/workload and if they have all the parts arrived and are in a good shape.

You should be paying the old invoice price when you placed the order and approved that invoice. Just remind them to make adjustments.
Just got my car back. Took them a day and half to start working on my car, and another day and half to finish it. told me there were some front sensor alerts but now all resolved. Seems all working great.

Reactions: Droschke
Thanks for the reports on upgrading. I'm now considering for my 8-year-old S since the goo is starting to leak out of the UI. In addition to losing some of the radio functionality, will I lose Summon (very important for me with my stuffed garage)? Thanks.

I have never heard of Summon being disabled for an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, nor why it would be. To be fair it's not something I've used.

The AM radio will be gone, and you have the option of buying the digital FM/XM radio to replace the non-functioning analog radio. Note the radio doesn't have to be bought with the MCU2 upgrade. It can be installed at a later time to save a few dollars now.

Reactions: CHGolferJim