Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen UPDATE MODEL 3/Y? [retrofit speculation thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us that paid for FSD, won't they at some point have to update us to MCU3 in order to run the FSD visualizations?

The visualizations work now, so unless you bought FSD in a Tesla pre March of 2019 (when tesla actually changed the definition of FSD), the only thing tesla will owe you is what the coming "city streets" function. Once that is delivered to anyone who bought FSD after the changing of the packages / definitions (march 2019) is fully delivered on what tesla promised to them.

Short answer, no, unless you bought FSD under the old definition, and even then it would be because you are missing some FSD feature that others got. The media computer isnt the car computer, either... even if they are on the same boards they are different services.

For those of us that paid for FSD, won't they at some point have to update us to MCU3 in order to run the FSD visualizations?

...no?

MCU2 cars are already doing that.

Now, Tesla has revised what's actually needed multiple times, so I suppose it's possible they'll decide everything needs Yet Another Rewrite and they'll find MCU2 inadequate (though it's the driving computer, not the media one, doing most of the work there).... but it's not like they're running 4k HDR 120fps graphics for the FSD visualizations.

Reactions: CarlThompson
So Tesla has said they will not retrofit the new entertainment processor into older cars.

I understand they don’t want a bunch of people clogging up the service centers asking for new processors that they don’t have yet.

However, is a retrofit possible? It is built into the entertainment screen right? What if you replaced the entire screen?

So Tesla has said they will not retrofit the new entertainment processor into older cars.

I understand they don’t want a bunch of people clogging up the service centers asking for new processors that they don’t have yet.

However, is a retrofit possible? It is built into the entertainment screen right? What if you replaced the entire screen?

Where did you see that they won’t do it? All indications are that it may very well be a future upgrade path ….

The infotainment computer in Model 3/Y is mounted behind the glovebox, sandwiched with the Autopilot computer. They’re nowhere near the display itself.

Reactions: positiv

The screen in your Model 3/Y is nothing more than a display. No computer to be found there.

Where did you see that they won’t do it? All indications are that it may very well be a future upgrade path ….

The infotainment computer in Model 3/Y is mounted behind the glovebox, sandwiched with the Autopilot computer. They’re nowhere near the display itself.

See no reason why they wouldn’t eventually offer an upgrade like they have with the previous two versions.

Tim

Doc sent to service centers about changes to 3/Y, including this:

See no reason why they wouldn’t eventually offer an upgrade like they have with the previous two versions.

Tim

Two versions?

They've only ever offered a single MCU upgrade... MCU1->MCU2 for old S/X cars. 3/Y have never had an MCU upgrade option (and began shipping with MCU2, none ever had MCU1)

Doc sent to service centers about changes to 3/Y, including this:

Some rando guy on Twitter isn’t exactly what I’d call solid info.

Hell, a rando multi billionaire CEO on Twitter isn’t exactly a paragon of information either …. 🤣🤣

But if I play Carnac the Magnificent, I’d say for the immediate future, there’s no shot at a retrofit. There’s likely not even enough chips to go around for new builds, let alone a million+ chips for retrofit. Maybe a couple years down the line once MCU2 hits a wall and AMD can produce bountiful harvests of silicon wafers. We’re nowhere near either of those yet.

Tesla being Tesla, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see…. And if you don’t like the policy, wait a couple months. :)

I saw it on twitter - so not necessarily a solid source.

Glad to hear access is not that hard. Considering the processor is a different architecture I am assuming it will require a different version of the software to run. That might make it tough for home upgrades right?

Maybe they offer it later when the supply chain settles down.

I saw it on twitter - so not necessarily a solid source.

Glad to hear access is not that hard. Considering the processor is a different architecture I am assuming it will require a different version of the software to run. That might make it tough for home upgrades right?

Maybe they offer it later when the supply chain settles down.

Access isn’t hard, but bear in mind that the computer “sandwich” is liquid cooled. The proper procedure is done in the service center where the coolant can be drained and refilled.

Architecture, sorta-kinda. I don’t know enough about Tesla’s software stack but both the Atom and Ryzen chips are x86 based. Done right, it “could be” the same stack.

… but at the end, your last point is exactly right. The supply chain is the biggest problem of all. :cool:

I always wonder why folks think a different processor would be
an upgrade. I would guess cause it was laying around and they
need chips, well why not stick it in. My guess it just does the job.
As an ex-chip designer, we do upgrades and new versions, most is
never seen. I cannot even game while driving anymore
Ever wonder what keyboard face is like in car.
Cannot be bothered, off to home happy hour, why is it just an hour.
Never mind.

Reactions: DrGriz
Personally, I think the only circumstance under which Tesla would change their minds and start offering a retrofit is… if the older (Intel) chip will not have enough processing power required to smoothly run future iterations of FSD. For those who are currently running FSD Beta, like me, there’s a lot of algorithms/processing going on behind the scenes and being displayed on the screen. As FSD becomes more advanced/powerful/accurate (and additional and more complex features are added to our vehicles’ IU), I would guess at some point, the current Intel chips won’t be able to keep up. At that point, if Tesla feels a faster chip is necessary for their older vehicles to operate properly/safely, then they’ll find a way to make the retrofit.

Of course, hope I’m wrong and Tesla surprises everyone with this retrofit in the near future. Personally, I would pay whatever Tesla wants to charge for the upgrade.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I always wonder why folks think a different processor would be
an upgrade. I would guess cause it was laying around and they
need chips, well why not stick it in. My guess it just does the job.
As an ex-chip designer, we do upgrades and new versions, most is
never seen. I cannot even game while driving anymore
Ever wonder what keyboard face is like in car.
Cannot be bothered, off to home happy hour, why is it just an hour.
Never mind.
The Intel Atom is very slow. The interface drops frames a lot. AMD Ryzen is much much quicker and would make everything smoother. Not just gaming - the map as an example would be much smoother with an upgrade.

Reactions: TBrownTX and Zoomit
Some rando guy on Twitter isn’t exactly what I’d call solid info.

It's not "some rando guy on twitter though"

It's "fairly well known guy who often posts new info first- and is specifically citing a tesla document in this case"

Doesn't mean he's always right when it's a "I heard" or "anon source" but usually when citing actual info FROM tesla it's accurate.

Tesla being Tesla, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see…. And if you don’t like the policy, wait a couple months. :)

1000% they might change the policy in the future- but the claim they have a written policy now saying none of the new features in the doc are available for retrofit is quite credible.

Personally, I think the only circumstance under which Tesla would change their minds and start offering a retrofit is… if the older (Intel) chip will not have enough processing power required to smoothly run future iterations of FSD. For those who are currently running FSD Beta, like me, there’s a lot of algorithms/processing going on behind the scenes and being displayed on the screen. As FSD becomes more advanced/powerful/accurate (and additional and more complex features are added to our vehicles’ IU), I would guess at some point, the current Intel chips won’t be able to keep up. At that point, if Tesla feels a faster chip is necessary for their older vehicles to operate properly/safely, then they’ll find a way to make the retrofit.

Of course, hope I’m wrong and Tesla surprises everyone with this retrofit in the near future. Personally, I would pay whatever Tesla wants to charge for the upgrade.
The FSD computer and the MCU computer are different. If HW3 is deemed not capable of running FSD, then they will need HW4 and would require to upgrade all cars that have paid for FSD. MCU is just the display and if it drops frames that doesn't affect how the FSD computer actually processes the driving decisions. You have eyes and can see what FSD sees. If you are "driving" by watching a video screen you are doing it wrong and illegally.

Because it is a faster processor and because I've seen the new cpu demoed in a model 3 and it is like 5x faster at opening youtube.
That’s impressive. And don’t take this comment the wrong way, but is the speed of opening youtube or any other app really a critical decision factor in the Tesla EV experience? I mean the swiftness of the MMI seems pretty good and that would seem to be far more important in terms of the EV experience. Now if you get the faster chip, great, but if you don’t are you really going to be that disappointed. I mean if web surfing in the car is really important, bring a laptop with you.

Reactions: DDHEverything
That’s impressive. And don’t take this comment the wrong way, but is the speed of opening youtube or any other app really a critical decision factor in the Tesla EV experience? I mean the swiftness of the MMI seems pretty good and that would seem to be far more important in terms of the EV experience. Now if you get the faster chip, great, but if you don’t are you really going to be that disappointed. I mean if web surfing in the car is really important, bring a laptop with you.

This is the same basic argument as "Do you really need a 85-75 inch TV, who needs one that big?" or " Do you need a full surround system in your house? Just go to the theater if you want that, a sound bar is good enough right?" or " Why does anyone want a Model 3 Performance / Model Y performance / Model S plaid when the speed limit is XXX?"

Faster electronics is almost always better than slower electronics, but normally costs more. For those waiting for new cars, it makes perfect sense to want "faster" if you can get it for no additonal cost.

For those who want a retrofit (this thread topic), there is the thought that "faster chip" will get "something" additional.... like there are additional car visualizations on HW3 than the ones on HW2.5 for example.

Computer power being what it is, there will definitely 100% end up a time when "some feature" is added, but only available for those with Y processer in their car. The question isnt IF that will happen, its WHEN, because it will definitely 100% happen especially since tesla iterates all the time.

Now, whether the cost to wait etc is worth it is another discussion, but "is the speed worth it" depends on the person, because there are definitely people who "dont think a TV bigger than 50 inches is worth it" for example.