Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU ambient light control messed up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Battpower

Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2019
Uk
Am I dreaming, or didn't I used to be able to turn ambient cabin lighting off and on from the Lighting section on the MCU? The control is still there, but with doors closed and car stationary / parked, the ambient light stays off unless you open a door.

Dome light control works as you'd expect.

Not sure if it is 8.1 related, but now I can't.

Does wiered stuff if you try to turn off when doors open too.

MS Raven

Am I dreaming, or didn't I used to be able to turn ambient cabin lighting off and on from the Lighting section on the MCU? The control is still there, but with doors closed and car stationary / parked, the ambient light stays off unless you open a door.

Dome light control works as you'd expect.

Not sure if it is 8.1 related, but now I can't.

Does wiered stuff if you try to turn off when doors open too.

MS Raven

Control is still there and works for me on 2020.4.1. Check to see if it’s turned off in your easy entry or driving profiles.

With driver profile, the ambient light control from MCU works as expected.

With Easy Entry profile, opening car door turns on ambient light on bright. Turning on and off from MCU makes ambient go dim / bright. After timeout, door initiated illumination times out and ambient turns off. MCU control no longer has any effect.

As one of the most likely times to turn on ambient is when you have stopped the car and parked, I can't believe that I am only just noticing this behaviour.

'bump'.

Anyone with MS Raven who is prepared to check the operation of ambient light control especially when using easy entry.

Video in previous post shows how ambient on / off from MCU control seems incorrect. When ambient is 'on' because door opened, the MCU control makes it dim or bright. After ambient times out and turns off, ambient MCU control no longer works.

With main driver profile enabled, the MCU control seems fine.

With driver profile, the ambient light control from MCU works as expected.

With Easy Entry profile, opening car door turns on ambient light on bright. Turning on and off from MCU makes ambient go dim / bright. After timeout, door initiated illumination times out and ambient turns off. MCU control no longer has any effect.

As one of the most likely times to turn on ambient is when you have stopped the car and parked, I can't believe that I am only just noticing this behaviour.

My car is in for service on a couple of other items this Monday and I've asked them to check the ambient light. I still have no idea if other cars of similar age behave the same way.

Any face lift or Raven owner who can compare my video with their car and let me know would be appreciated.

2 issues both using Ambient Light control on main MCU lighting menu.

Open door, ambient come on and stays on with timer. MCU control makes dimmer and brighter.

Ambient times out and turns off. MCU control has no effect - can't turn ambient on.

Is this the same on your car? Happens in easy entry and named profile.

Thanks.