Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU and AP3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it a reasonable point to make to Tesla that it owes it’s customers some deliverables related to Enhanced Autopilot, without charging them for more hardware first? I own a 2017 Model S for which $5,000 was paid for Enhanced Autopilot. At the time that option was purchased, the car had MCU1 and AP2, and still has that hardware. I believe the agreement made by the purchase of Enhanced Autopilot, was that Tesla receives the payment in full, then provides a beta version of the purchased software with the implied promise that the beta version would be updated to a fully working version at some point in the near future. All Fine so far. Now however, it appears that I, and other owners in my position, must pay substantial fees to upgrade MCU and AP in order to get Enhanced Autopilot to work as intended. In my view Tesla owes customers in my position a completed, working version of the system purchased, without extraction more than the agreed price already paid. Is this fair to ask?

This is what you agreed to buy in 2017.

4334CF7E-CC72-4148-8B77-E45A434B405F.jpeg

Note: The Beta is for FSD. You already have EAP. You have everything you paid for with EAP... There's nothing pending for you.

You can still purchase the optional Infotainment Ugrade Package (Infotainment Upgrade) and you can still purchase the FSD Software for $10K or subscribe to the monthly payment. FSD is above and beyond EAP and is separate.

Note: the Infotainment Ugrade Package is NOT a warranty item replacement for MCU/1. It is an purchasable option that you can choose to get or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If I already paid for FSD back in 2017, why should I have to pay even more to upgrade to MCU2 now to get FSD? If we paid for FSD, and MCU2 is required for it, then Tesla needs to pay for it, plain and simple. Tesla needs to be more straightforward about FSD on MCU1 - I'm fine if it works without the visuals.

Reactions: Cheburashka
OK, so here's the confusion:

(1) The final version of FSD should NOT need MCU/2 since there is no need for the visualizations. Those are only needed for the Beta.
(2) Beta is only for those with MCU/2 becuase the visualizations are required during the beta period.

So if you keep MCU/1, you'll get FSD once it goes GA. If you want to gain access to the Beta Button, then you need to invest in the Infotainment Ugrade Package (Infotainment Upgrade).

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If I already paid for FSD back in 2017, why should I have to pay even more to upgrade to MCU2 now to get FSD? If we paid for FSD, and MCU2 is required for it, then Tesla needs to pay for it, plain and simple. Tesla needs to be more straightforward about FSD on MCU1 - I'm fine if it works without the visuals.

Tesla maintains that MCU2 is not required for FSD by saying that the only thing you miss by having MCU1 is the visualizations in the IC. I'm in the same position as you (2017 MS w/MCU1 and AP3) and feel that they are really skirting the ethical edge but are probably within their rights to hold it.
If you've paid for FSD you should have the AP3 computer upgrade, right?

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Tesla maintains that MCU2 is not required for FSD by saying that the only thing you miss by having MCU1 is the visualizations in the IC. I'm in the same position as you (2017 MS w/MCU1 and AP3) and feel that they are really skirting the ethical edge but are probably within their rights to hold it.

Cant believe homers still believe this. Koolaid drinkers. MCU 1 will not work for FSD. Tesla is waiting it out as long as they can. Forcing owners to pay for MCU2 or upgrade the cars.

Source: was an mcu1 owner that paid for MCU2

They aren't even providing an upgrade path for people with HW3 and MCU2 who can't run vision because of their cameras. If they aren't providing this to people who they still owe features, there is zero chance they will help out EAP cars.

They aren't even providing an upgrade path for people with HW3 and MCU2 who can't run vision because of their cameras.
You seem to be suggesting that this is going to be the case for all time. Do you have evidence to support this claim - either that vision-based FSD will never work with the 2.0 style cameras and/or that Tesla has no plans to upgrade them if that's indeed the case?

You seem to be suggesting that this is going to be the case for all time. Do you have evidence to support this claim - either that vision-based FSD will never work with the 2.0 style cameras and/or that Tesla has no plans to upgrade them if that's indeed the case?
Because of how Tesla chooses to communicate, I have found that catastrophizing, getting people riled up and tweeting is the only way to cause real information to come to the surface. Cunningham's Law.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Yes, I have the AP3 computer upgrade. I can see traffic lights.

Cant believe homers still believe this. Koolaid drinkers. MCU 1 will not work for FSD. Tesla is waiting it out as long as they can. Forcing owners to pay for MCU2 or upgrade the cars.

Source: was an mcu1 owner that paid for MCU2
That isn't correct... All functions in FSD work except the visualizations, as MCU1 is just too slow to handle those. The actual processing needed for FSD is all handled by the FSD computer itself.

I would suggest (Or at least Elon seems to)

I would suggest (Or at least Elon seems to)
The article you link states very clearly that Tesla plans to upgrade the cameras on 2.0 cars, covered under the price already paid for FSD.

That would be the opposite of “going to be the case for all time,” so you seem to be suggesting wrong.

The article you link states very clearly that Tesla plans to upgrade the cameras on 2.0 cars, covered under the price already paid for FSD.

That would be the opposite of “going to be the case for all time,” so you seem to be suggesting wrong.
Will be interesting to see if they charge me for cameras as I paid for EAP then MCU2 upgrade (which included HW3) but subscribed to FSD (99/mo)
rather than pay $5000 for FSD

Tesla has agreed camera upgrades for free (for pre September 2017 Model S and Model X with paid for FSD)