Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Browser Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MCU is limited to only the apps provided by Tesla.

The browser has limited functionality (doesn't always work with Tesla's own website) - and the browser has no integration with any of the other apps (media player, navigation, calendar).

You may be able to access websites in the browser, but those sites will not have any access to the car's systems or the other apps running on the MCU.

With the new navigation software, Tesla has indicated they plan to provide Waze-like features, though that doesn't appear to be true with the current software.

Additionally, the web-browser has the HTML5 media capabilities disabled, that includes the <audio>, <video>, and <canvas> elements - so YouTube won't work, for example - I support this because I really don't think video playback should work while you're driving :)

There was talk of an SDK for the MCU coming out - but I imagine Tesla has higher priorities. More recently I've heard talk of allowing phone app screen projection (i.e. Apple CarPlay / Android Auto) - I hope that happens because that would solve of a lot of frustrations people have with Tesla's MCU software, especially w.r.t. how the audio library works. It is weird to have such a tech-heavy car without support for CarPlay/AA. Though I wonder how CarPlay will work on the screen because to my knowledge it always assumes a landscape-oriented, fixed-size screen.