Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU constantly turns off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S P100D the screen constantly turns off and on, and then the alert about the passenger airbag off pops up - this is ridiculously annoying. I have complained multiple times to Tesla and nothing was done. Would the recall fix this? Thanks

I have exactly the same problem. EMMC recall replacement did not help. After replacement it stopped turning on/off for 3 hours, then it started again. Every 30s. Tesla told me: upgrade it for MCU2. Someone who resolved this beautiful problem?

Yes, I know AP1=1500, AP2=2000, but at least me and author would like to know if somebody knows about the fix of our problem with constant mcu restarting with airbag off icon. Without replacing for MCU2. Theese constant restarts are absolutely annoying and I can't find any threats about these specific restarts.

Same problem, started about a month ago.
After about 1 hour drive the symbol for passenger airbag ON pops up.
2 seconds later the Mcu goes blank, 2 seconds later it comes back.
The symbol for passenger airbag ON disappears.
This is repeating itself with different intervals,
Doesnt matter if Im driving alone or with a passenger.
I noticed that on the MCU top right the symbol for passenger airbag ON was active. Even if the seat was empty.
In security settings I turned off the Passenger airbag.
So far after a days driving the error is gone.
Ive logged this error and contacted Tesla support. Waiting for their analysis.
Model S 2017
AP2.0
EMMC recall replacement done
2069 (Medel).jpg

@gmf65, have you tried a hard reboot to see if that helps? If not I suggest that you do. I recently learned that by changing your wheel size in your settings that the car does a deeper reset. You might try that while your waiting for Tesla to get back with you. They might take days or even weeks.

Same problem, started about a month ago.
After about 1 hour drive the symbol for passenger airbag ON pops up.
2 seconds later the Mcu goes blank, 2 seconds later it comes back.
The symbol for passenger airbag ON disappears.
This is repeating itself with different intervals,
Doesnt matter if Im driving alone or with a passenger.
I noticed that on the MCU top right the symbol for passenger airbag ON was active. Even if the seat was empty.
In security settings I turned off the Passenger airbag.
So far after a days driving the error is gone.
Ive logged this error and contacted Tesla support. Waiting for their analysis.
Model S 2017
AP2.0
EMMC recall replacement done
View attachment 785122
Please let us know when Tesla replies.. thanks. In my case Tesla service didn't know what causes this issue. They only see logs about restarts, that's all sadly

@gmf65, have you tried a hard reboot to see if that helps? If not I suggest that you do. I recently learned that by changing your wheel size in your settings that the car does a deeper reset. You might try that while your waiting for Tesla to get back with you. They might take days or even weeks.
I personally tried hard reset with wheel size change multiple times. It didn't help. I have appointment for MCU2 upgrade already, but I would like to know what can resolve this

Have anyone tried a Factory Reset under Service section? This will delete all current settings and user need’s to set them individually back on. Also make sure that your USB device has been unplugged during this. Also worth is to clean up your navigation address history on the navigation section. Perhaps this will help…

Have anyone tried a Factory Reset under Service section? This will delete all current settings and user need’s to set them individually back on. Also make sure that your USB device has been unplugged during this. Also worth is to clean up your navigation address history on the navigation section. Perhaps this will help…
I have not. But i did try to reinstall software. Did not help. Might try to do the factory reset while I wait for the new backup camera i ordered as it could be the culprit.

I had this exact problem on a 2017 in Sweden. I first did the eMMC recall but it did not help.

It's the rear camera. You can confrim this by unpluging the camera and the restarting will then stop. Mobile service fixed mine. Cost about 800 bucks. The old camera was completely oxidized. My car has only 83000Km.

I had this exact problem on a 2017 in Sweden. I first did the eMMC recall but it did not help.

It's the rear camera. You can confrim this by unpluging the camera and the restarting will then stop. Mobile service fixed mine. Cost about 800 bucks. The old camera was completely oxidized. My car has only 83000Km.
Did you fix the issue when the screen is going black, passenger airbag on, rear camera unavailable. I have the same symptoms in my MX 2017.