Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Core charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take the mcu out yourself and say someone stole it lol.
that actually is a brilliant idea considering how tesla is when it comes to parts. Let's see they lowered the price from $2500.00+tax to $1500.00+tax no labor charge all parts..what parts are they upgrading exactly? you know how hard it is to get tesla to give out info on "their parts" I do its impossible. now remember your paying sales tax on the "upgrade" which Tesla defines as one part #. Do you think they report to the state sales tax adminstration when it comes tax time that they sold "up grade" parts for $1500.00 ea.? I would speculate no. They want to keep your old MCU also what in the world are they going to do with them? nothing there sitting in a big pile somewhere waiting to be melted down as scrap. im going through a simular situation now with one of the SC so far 5 employees lied/stuck up for each other over something they caused by trying to commit fraud against me a customer. long complicated story still on going. oh I almost forgot about the radio part no more am radio no matter what but if you would like fm it's just $500+tax extra for some part made in Mexico. so far they "good willed" that to me. I wonder how many "good willed" parts they report to the tax authority's? probably more or less in another way.....gets more interesting this MCU upgrade as time goes on. still no phone # to call in the whole corporation! ill never get over that.

The $1500 MCU2 upgrade price does not include getting to keep the old MCU1.
no Tesla wants the old one for sentimental value lol but they will part ways for a extra $1000.00
don't forget you won't have no AM or FM radio anymore but wait for just a extra $500.00+tax you can have FM radio but hurry this offer is only good while supplies made in Mexico last. It's amazing how the car itself is $100,000 new makes common parts reflect that price. For $500 you can upgrade a whole stereo system on a ICE car, that same $500.00 only gets you a FM only tuner part that only works with a main control unit. Really bizarre when you really think about how they charge for everything there labor is $220.00 per hour I wouldn't pay anybody for anything possible that rate! they must think the world consists of all upper class income people that don't mind throwing $ around like it grows on trees.

example I had a 2013 volkswagen jettta se 2.5l it had the stock am/fm cd head unit they referrer there infotainment center as. no backup camera. I went on line for $200 I purchased a 9" touchscreen am/fm head unit with Android os which allowed me to use most Android apps available plus it had video input/output jacks Bluetooth wifi antenna Compatible connector for the cars "info" I purchased a backup camera that was a camera retrofitted into the trunks handle that was powered already that cost $50. $250 total on material spent. I took out the stock 2din radio unplugged the connector in the meantime I took out the trunk handle replaced it with the one that had a camera added no modifications necessary tapped into the revervese light for the power ran the video cable up to the front new head unit plugged everything in "plug n play" It took about 4 hours of my own labor to do I didn't replace any speakers since the stock ones were more then sufficient. the 2013 now what I would call a major infotainment up grade with most of the same features my phone has. so for $250 1/2 the price of that fm tuner part tesla has I would say major upgrade. the ironic thing is that it was a 2013 volkswagen the one I took to purchase 2013 tesla MS the volkswagen interior had more features then the tesla and it was only $24000 new compared to $89000. so yea $ goes alot further in Ice cars but I still will never own one again the volkswagen I took with me my friend who went with me to Las Vegas to get the MS took ownership the sametimme and he drove it back to California. I hope I kinda explained what I meant by upgrading a ice cars infotainment for less then $500

I did exactly this with my current Audi, and my previous BMW. I agree, it’s a major upgrade. But aftermarket DIY and OEM retrofit aren’t really the same thing - would VW upgrade the infotainment in your 2013 Jetta to that in the 2020 Jetta for $2k?

Anyway … this is no longer about core charges, so apologies to the OP for derailing the thread.

no Tesla wants the old one for sentimental value lol but they will part ways for a extra $1000.00
Actually they need them, or at least the eMMC daughtercard out of them, to refurbish for use in the eMMC recall. They are short on parts, and are working through the subject vehicles very slowly as a result. (Last I looked it will take them about 3 more years to remediate all of them at the current pace.)

Actually they need them, or at least the eMMC daughtercard out of them, to refurbish for use in the eMMC recall. They are short on parts, and are working through the subject vehicles very slowly as a result. (Last I looked it will take them about 3 more years to remediate all of them at the current pace.)
yes they use refurbished daughter boards for the recall. but that is just one small part on the MCU the rest of it is useless. They have the upgrades MCU1 to MCU2 ready available in stock no waiting time they will schedule you for the next available time slot available, so what do they do about the daughter board if you still have the 8gb one? does the MCU2 already have the 64gb dB or? that's very interesting as in my point I have with my SC. Playing games I knew about the recall before I ever drove my first Tesla and knew that it had not been replaced the day after I took ownership I informed the service center through that tesla app they responded at this time your emmc still enough memory to operate the vehicle safely we will contact you when we receive the part until then happy motoring I can't remember the exact phrase they used but something to that nature. well 4 days later I was about 35miles from home and the screen froze I didn't know what to do I had the original handbooks in the glove department useless the app also was froze I didn't know what to do if the car was going to get me home can't call roadside service so I thought Google the situation I then found out how to rest the MCU. I took pictures and video of me driving and a blank mcu notified service they responded back saying the part is ordered and I have appoint for June 8th which was a month away. the rest of my first experience is a whole nother story that is almost unbelievable but it happened and is still not resolved I don't want to go into detail let's just say I'm not the only one that had serious issues with my SC alone but I myself am going to resolve the problems they created. the bottom line is Elon Musk is the head boss he made a statement himself over management and how they can't manage something they have no clue what there managing. I have the perfect example for him. one employee got relocated or fired there is 4 more bad seeds that Elon im sure doesn't want working for him. public information is a great tool linkedin is a great site to see people's resumes. the two service managers have no automotive experience whatsoever probably know as much as a car has 4 wheels. Have a great future I know I am going to try my best too.