Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Crashes - Service Center Update

MCU Reboots (T logo)? [Not a "screen freezes for a few seconds that starts responding"]

• 1 per day

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • 2-5 times a day

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Every now and then (2-5 per week)

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • Occasionally (2-5 per month)

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Never

Votes: 34 34.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the exact same issue on mine (Also running 2018.50.6). I just took delivery of my M3 (LR AWD) several days ago.

Typically, I'll pull out of my driveway, and several minutes later, the audio will glitch for a second, and then the touchscreen goes dark. It usually self-reboots after a while. This will repeat randomly during each drive, which sucks, mostly because the speedometer goes missing. I've also had it go dark on the freeway with EAP/Autosteer engaged, which was great fun.

I'm hoping the next software update addresses this, but I think a call to my local SC is in order.

I'm having the exact same issue on mine (Also running 2018.50.6). I just took delivery of my M3 (LR AWD) several days ago.

Typically, I'll pull out of my driveway, and several minutes later, the audio will glitch for a second, and then the touchscreen goes dark. It usually self-reboots after a while. This will repeat randomly during each drive, which sucks, mostly because the speedometer goes missing. I've also had it go dark on the freeway with EAP/Autosteer engaged, which was great fun.

I'm hoping the next software update addresses this, but I think a call to my local SC is in order.

Could be the computer as some have said in this thread, but the latest software update (2019.5.4) has fixed the issue for me and a few others. You could try scheduling service for the issue and seeing if they will push the latest update to you.

One thing, they will ask for time and date this happened to you so they can check that specific time in the logs. Record the time and date (approximate) it happens so you have that to give to them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
Same here (in Europe). Sometimes it crashes over 12 times within one hour.

Had daily calls with Tesla service center Amsterdam (each time i need to wait for about 20 minutes as they are severly understaffed as they say)
Somehow i cant get anyone to diagnose the problem over the air while they do already have all logs and i supplied them with with a zillion timestamps. Now i need to bring the car in but honestly I think this will end up in my car sitting there for weeks while nothing happens (due to understaffment)

This really sucks bigtime as on the phone it was clear that they apparently dont know the real cause (yet)

Running 2019.4.2

Last edited:
With 2019.5.4 I'm now having this issue. I had 8 reboots in 60 minutes on the way to work this morning.

I called roadside assistance who said that a maps update is either taking too long and stuck. They suggested going to a service center to have them look. So I visited the Palo Alto service center yesterday who confirmed that and said an important firmware update is pending. They said they would push it out last night.

Of course they didn't (or my car couldn't receive it) so I called roadside assistance today and they promised to get back to me two hours ago.

Gotta love Tesla service.

Update on my particular manifestation of the issue. A Tesla "diagnostics team" was able to parse the logs remotely, and they determined I need a new computer unit (MCU?). My M3 has a build date of 12/18 for comparison sake, and the reboots were getting pretty bad. For everyone out there still having the MCU crash/reboot issue, get friendly with your local service manager, and see if they can escalate on your behalf.

Attachments

• RE__M3_touchscreen_concern_.jpg
    RE__M3_touchscreen_concern_.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Dre78
Has anyone had this issue resolved by firmware update? It seems that several have had MCU replacements that fix the issue, but it screams software problem to me. Mine started doing dozens of reboots per trip directly after updating to 2019.5.15, but the very same update *cured* the same issue in a friend's RWD car. If only we could look at the logs ourselves...

Has anyone had this issue resolved by firmware update? It seems that several have had MCU replacements that fix the issue, but it screams software problem to me. Mine started doing dozens of reboots per trip directly after updating to 2019.5.15, but the very same update *cured* the same issue in a friend's RWD car. If only we could look at the logs ourselves...
In my case, I had problems from day 1 driving new car off the lot in late December. After 2 firmware updates, freezes persisted.
(Started on 2018.48.12.1, 2018.50.5 mid-January, 2018.50.6 mid-February).

On my daily commute I'm getting the first reboot around 35 minutes in and then every few minutes there after until I leave it for sometime (hours). This scream memory leak to me as a software developer.

I had dropped by the service center about 10 days ago to confirm was firmware patch might be missing they informed me everything is there and just the maps update was still pending. The weekend after I received a patch to 5.15 which hasn't helped.

I drop mine off for service tomorrow to look at this problem; I listed the times of 5 reboots on one leg of my commute from Friday... I hope the logs stick around that long.

Just picked up car last friday. About once a day I come back to a car with a black screen. Restart with wheels fixes it. Seems to happen most often when I use climate control on my phone ahead of getting in the car. I'm on 2019.8.1.

Loads of flawed parts apparently.
Tesla employees say automaker is churning out a high volume of flawed parts requiring costly rework

I'm really starting to regret buying a Tesla... since first delivery it always had problems and I only drove it 3 weeks and from that point on its standing at SeC.

I'm sorry you are having difficulties with your car but that article you referenced is over a year old which at the time they had made maybe 10,000 M3s and the extent of their issues at the time was never substantiated.

Reactions: tracksyde
Have you all had this jumbled up screen happen? I returned to my car like this. Music still playing, but screen jumbled up... I was able to restart the MCU to resolve, but that doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

View attachment 388064

Woah! That looks like serious issue with your MCU board. I suspect its related with GPU chip overheating or some sort.
You probably need need new MCU. So no software update could fix that issue.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I’m on 2019.5.15 which installed about a week ago. Yesterday as I was about 30 miles into my commute the screen rebooted (although autopilot and everything was still active). The same exact thing happened this morning around the same mileage mark. Never experienced this prior to this FW update. Anyone else with similar issue with this FW?

I’m on 2019.5.15 which installed about a week ago. Yesterday as I was about 30 miles into my commute the screen rebooted (although autopilot and everything was still active). The same exact thing happened this morning around the same mileage mark. Never experienced this prior to this FW update. Anyone else with similar issue with this FW?

Yes, very similar and across both 2019.5.4 both 2019.5.15 (about 30 minutes into my commute for the first reboot and then every 3 to 5 minutes after). Was fine before 2019.5.4.

I was finally able to get it into service last week and just got it back. They replaced the MCU. I doubt it was actually the problem but I guess it's possible that a bad firmware upgrade could fry something. I haven't been able to drive that far with it yet, so I'm not sure if it's fixed.

FWIW, an MCU replacement kills most, but not all, of your settings. Infotainment center favorites for Radio and Streaming were kept (I guess they are stored in Tesla's cloud) and all of the key settings (the key cards and my phone). I had to set up garage door, the car name, all of the non-default driving settings, etc. You'll also lose all of your favorites for USB music.

Here is the work order if it might help anyone:

Customer States: I'm having computer reboots (the big screen) often.
Generally on my ride to work in the morning (35 miles) I'll get between 4 and 6
reboots. The first starts about 30 minutes into the drive and the others follow
every few minutes after. Please pull logs from March 15, 2019 at 7:38 AM, 7:44
AM, 7:45 AM , 7:46 AM. If it matters, my commute started at 7:04 AM. again
on 03/20 9:41am and 9:44am. It Sometimes it takes 5 mins to reboot and
others, 10 secs.

Technician inspected and diagnosis and recommend to replace car computer
and recheck. Technician replaced car computer and rechecked customers
concern is no longer present okay at this time.
Correction: Firmware General Diagnosis

Correction: Car Computer
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
CAR,COMPUTER,MCU,ADAS,ASSY (1098058-
S0-K)

Pay Type: Warranty 0.00

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Yes, very similar and across both 2019.5.4 both 2019.5.15 (about 30 minutes into my commute for the first reboot and then every 3 to 5 minutes after). Was fine before 2019.5.4.

I was finally able to get it into service last week and just got it back. They replaced the MCU. I doubt it was actually the problem but I guess it's possible that a bad firmware upgrade could fry something. I haven't been able to drive that far with it yet, so I'm not sure if it's fixed.

FWIW, an MCU replacement kills most, but not all, of your settings. Infotainment center favorites for Radio and Streaming were kept (I guess they are stored in Tesla's cloud) and all of the key settings (the key cards and my phone). I had to set up garage door, the car name, all of the non-default driving settings, etc. You'll also lose all of your favorites for USB music.

Here is the work order if it might help anyone:

One thing I forgot is that they only updated my firmware to 2019.5.15 (which is what I had before it went into service). I assumed they would have upgraded me to what ever the current GA level is (guess 5.15 is that).