Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU died, I guess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This evening I went to enter a destination into the nav, then the screen froze up and a moment later the Tesla logo popped up. I let it sit like that for a few minutes, then tried doing the scroll wheel reset. The screen went blank, and never came back on. After a couple more failed attempts at resetting the MCU, I put in an appointment for mobile service. It seemed like no big deal because the car was still drivable. When I got home and plugged into the charger, I realized I couldn't start the charging with the app. It'll hang on "starting to charge" for a bit, then go back to "charging stopped". I also cannot turn off the climate controls. Since I can't charge the car I put in for roadside assistance. The rep recommend dropping the car off at the service center and calling them during business hours.

List of symptoms I've noticed:
Blank MCU screen
Car will not lock
Climate will not turn off
Creep mode doesn't work
Charging will not start
"Systems powering up" message for about 30 seconds when trying to drive (will drive after)
Easy Entry won't do it's thing.

Luckily I've got another 20k miles left on the warranty.
Update on the not locking thing: I just remembered my key fob has buttons and the car locked with the fob.

Since the car seems to be pulling HVAC power from the wall, I'll bring it to service in the morning.

Update:
Thursday they diagnosed my car as needing a new MCU before lunchtime.They gave me Uber credits rather than a loaner. Uber doesn't go a lot of the places I go, so I ended up bringing my Mazda back to life. I also noticed Uber doesn't give me an option to tip the drivers when I use the credits. Anyone know what's up with that?

As of Friday, the service center has no idea when the new MCU will come in. They extended my Uber credits to the end of the month. According to TeslaFi, Saturday morning the battery on my car became completely depleted. I did get a couple push notifications from the Tesla app about my car's battery being too low. I'm going out of town this weekend, I hope they extend the Uber credits into next week lol.

The Uber app does allow one to tip the driver. But Tesla will not pay the tip. While Tesla pays for the cost of the trip, the tip you give to the driver will be charged to whatever credit card you have on file with Uber.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
The Uber app does allow one to tip the driver. But Tesla will not pay the tip. While Tesla pays for the cost of the trip, the tip you give to the driver will be charged to whatever credit card you have on file with Uber.
If that's an option, I can't find it. At the end of the ride I'm not presented with a way to rate/tip. If I click the link in the receipt email it just brings me to the ride history, still with no way to add the tip.

If that's an option, I can't find it. At the end of the ride I'm not presented with a way to rate/tip. If I click the link in the receipt email it just brings me to the ride history, still with no way to add the tip.

My iPhone Uber app version is 3.387.10004. After each Uber ride (in the Washington DC area) it provided for me to add a tip. Sometimes the tip options were $1, $3, $5 or custom amount. Other times the tip options were 10%, 15%, 20% or other. Each time, the cost of the trip was paid for using Tesla credits while the tip amount was charged to my credit card on file with Uber.

If you are unable to add a tip in your version of the app (or perhaps the tip option only is available in certain cities), you can always just give the driver a cash tip. I used to do that before Uber implemented tipping.

I got my car back this evening. The new screen looks more crisp than my old one. I also started with a blank slate for all my settings, so I spent about 5-10 minutes in the parking lot putting everything back how I like it.

Overall, customer service at the service center has improved since my car was there last year. They sent daily text message updates, even just to say they were waiting on the part.
If I was not under warranty, the cost for the replacement would have been $2150. I only know that because they mistakenly set the bill up as if I was paying out of pocket.

Reactions: Akikiki and aaron0k