Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU failed after 36k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew this was an issue but was surprised that the MCU failed so soon. I have a 2015 90D that I bought from Tesla in 2018 so it is still under warranty. 36,400 miles. I had a few issues in January/February where the center screen spontaneously turned off for 1-2 minutes while driving. I also had a jumbled display when pulling up the HVAC once. I haven't driven a lot since then but I did notice that for about two weeks before the MCU died, a new software update (2020.12.5) would not install. It would go to 10% and stop. I didn't think too much about it.

Here is what happened when the MCU died for good. Car was technically driveable but:
-Center screen was completely off (screen above steering wheel still on)
-Odometer showed ----
-Temperature showed --
-Parking sensors did not work
-Turn signals did not work (but emergency blinkers still worked)
-Phone app not connecting
-Soft and hard reboot attempts had no effect

I brought the car in this week and they put in a remanufactured unit (part number 1098010-00-G). I did speak to someone in the service department and asked if this one they are putting in is going to fail again because of the memory defect and he said it's been "corrected" (via a software fix). Can anyone confirm this (that the logging issue that eventually causes the eMMC memory failure been fixed/improved)? Or is this going to crap out again in 4 years? Does anyone know if they start with a new eMMC memory chip on the remanufactured units?

MCU part number.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv
The logging fix that reduces the logging went in years ago, so your MCU failed in 36 months while already having the fix they told you about.
I believe they claimed fixes years ago, but @wk057 confirmed as recently as October of last year that they were still flogging the chip pretty hard. Apparently there was some actual improvement shortly after that.

Yeah, i would say its a pretty big fail except it was intentional, there was no "logging fix" unless you mean logging MORE data. A significant portion of Teslas worth will be the data they gather on self driving so it behooves them to log as much as possible. they only realized this after committing to a memory hardware architecture but are logging just enough to be out of warranty when the unit fails. in some instances they miss, my car was JUST out of warranty so I had to pony up the 2000 for a REMANUFACTURED MCU. they refused the MCU-2 upgrade as they are too overwhelmed with cars they had not planned on servicing at all and had never planned on in there service center infrastructure model.

@Grant, Answer to your question: Yes, its going to happen again. Its 2010 tech and they put the same size chip back in the car. Yes, its a new chip, it has to be, but setup the same way as before. The car will behave - at first like it did if it was brand new, meaning. MCU response time will be great and things will work. But just like a Windows computer will slowly but surely begin to slow down and needs the OS to be reinstalled, the same happens to MCU1.

Logging is not the only "bad practice" that the car does that impacts the MCU/eMMC. Reducing logging helped, but did not eliminate what is believed to be some of the other damage. One of the other things that we have been told causes problems for the eMMC is using large thumb drives with excessive amount of music/ data (MCU has to parse all that data for indexing) The larger the drive capacity of music, the more indexing. And each time the flash drive is removed/reinserted, the process of indexing begins again.

MCU2 is a 4X larger chip. Performance is wonderful. Mine has been upgraded to MCU2 and it seems like a new car - it is not a new car. If you can upgrade to MCU2 when offered, I highly recommend it.

You are lucky that yours is still under warranty. Saved you about $1600.00.

What is the build date of your car? Build date is on the sticker on the driver side door opening.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Grant and outdoors
What is the build date of your car? Build date is on the sticker on the driver side door opening.

The build date is 9/15.

I have only had the car back for a day but I noticed that the music panel is not opening at all (just the loading animation). Anybody have any idea what could be causing that? I now have version 2020.12.11.5 software running.

@IslandHydro, If they let you do that - in the near future, you would be the first reported that they allowed to do that. People have already tried.

@Grant, The upgrade is $2500, not $2,000 and you would lose AM/FM-FM/XM radio too. Many of the benefits that we see on an AP2 car would not be realized by a '15 car. But you would see improved maps, faster NAV, browser works. LTE, but you already are. Really would be questionable benefit for you, except if you needed another eMMC replacement, - in that case it would be better.

• Informative
Reactions: Grant
Mine started failing occasionally at just under 30k miles, got significantly worse at 31kmiles (corrupted icons, daily audio hangs).

MCU went completely dark and stayed dark at 33k miles last week. Was replaced in SC dropped off 72 hours ago and got the car back yesterday.

2016 MS 70D.

Mine went in February, SC cleared memory and revived chip, told me if it acts up again they will replace MCU. The fix lasted 4 weeks, center screen dead, car still runs, no radio, signals, HVAC, defogger, seat settings, bluetooth, or app connection. SC claims that due to COVID the distribution center is unable to ship refurb model. Every appointment has been cancelled and rescheduled since March. Next appointment June 17. We shall see. 2015 85D, October 2015 build, 71,000 miles. Still under extended warranty

Reactions: Akikiki