Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine:

Concern: Customer: Touchscreen well blank at 7AM 8/27 and failed to come back on with a
reset.

Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 120.00
Pay Type: Customer Pay
Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)
Remove and replace center touch screen assembly. Perform needed back-up and restore,
verify operation

Hmm. They were able to retrieve data off of the old unit for a backup? That’s odd because they shouldn’t be able to do that if the flash failed. Did they first try reflashing the firmware from recovery mode? Sounds to me like you may not have needed a new MCU.

Hmm. They were able to retrieve data off of the old unit for a backup? That’s odd because they shouldn’t be able to do that if the flash failed. Did they first try reflashing the firmware from recovery mode? Sounds to me like you may not have needed a new MCU.

Doesn't that depend on the failure mode? Maybe the old MCU could still read from the eMMC but not write to it.

Well, emmc often is not 100% dead, you get some firmware files dead but not /var or /home pretty often, I heard. Not only that, it stores some backups on IC as well.

Got a quote, will be replacing this Friday.

Service/Labor FRT Hours FRT Price
Replace MCU Touchscreen, Model S 1.1 150.00
Subtotal Labor Price: (USD) 165.00
Parts: Price
1452455-00-C - SERVICE MCU KIT - NORTH AMERICA 2,078.00
Subtotal Parts Price: (USD) 2,078.00
Subtotal Services and Parts: (USD) 2,243.00
Discount: (USD) 0.00
Shipping: (USD) 0.00
Estimated Tax: (USD) 0.00
Total Amount: (USD) 2,243.00

They offered to share 50% of the cost. Hopefully has LTE.

• Helpful
Reactions: jepicken
Is this a systemic problem? The MCU on my Model S from May 2013 also just failed. The screen would light up then go out and the touch screen failed constantly. It seemed like the computer was sleeping and waking up. The error codes pointed to a problem with the 3G modem so they swapped it by no luck so they say it needed the whole MCU unit.

I requested to keep the original unit for my own diagnostics and spare parts but they denied me. They said that they can request that the failure is investigated internally and give me a report. For $2500 I feel I should get the old unit or get some credit for it’s return, like 50%. They then told me the units are sent in to be refurbished!

I requested to keep the original unit for my own diagnostics and spare parts but they denied me. They said that they can request that the failure is investigated internally and give me a report. For $2500 I feel I should get the old unit or get some credit for it’s return, like 50%. They then told me the units are sent in to be refurbished!

You need to push them on this, the part belongs to you and they are required to return it to you if you ask.

Is this a systemic problem? The MCU on my Model S from May 2013 also just failed. The screen would light up then go out and the touch screen failed constantly. It seemed like the computer was sleeping and waking up. The error codes pointed to a problem with the 3G modem so they swapped it by no luck so they say it needed the whole MCU unit.

Yeah, they told me the same thing until I showed them the law stating I get my parts back if requested

Reactions: jepicken
I will push back again and see what they say.

Did you ever get it back?

I had the MCU fail on my 2013 MS/40 (all displays black, would not drive/charge; towed to SC), had to pay full price for the replacement.

I asked for the old MCU back before work began, they agreed. Upon picking up the car; they refused to give it back. I showed them the California law (no core credit, no warranty, paid full price), they still refused and said they need further instructions/documentation from Tesla HQ.

The new MCU is LTE.

Last edited:
Did you ever get it back?

I had the MCU fail on my 2013 MS/40 (all displays black, would not drive/charge; towed to SC), had to pay full price for the replacement.

I asked for the old MCU back before work began, they agreed. Upon picking up the car; they refused to give it back. I showed them the California law (no core credit, no warranty, paid full price), they still refused and said they need further instructions/documentation from Tesla HQ.
So Tesla is knowingly breaking state laws, I would request everyone's name in that service center. Also you should send them an email and certified letter requesting your parts back. That way you have a record, not just a verbal request.

You could just let them know that you will sue them in small claims court for the cost of the MCU (minus a few hundred for the cost to repair it) if they don't return it.

So Tesla is knowingly breaking state laws, I would request everyone's name in that service center. Also you should send them an email and certified letter requesting your parts back. That way you have a record, not just a verbal request.

I'll give them a few days to sort it out with the Tesla mothership; hopefully it's just confusion on their part.

I told them I want the part back or a significant core credit. I recorded the conversation with their permission and wrote down the return contingency on the invoice before signing.

If they still refuse, I'll file a complaint with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair. Small claims if absolutely necessary.