TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MCU failure poll #2: what *type* of failure did you have?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by KarenRei, Oct 14, 2019.

?

If you've had a MCU failure that led to a *replacement*, what was the cause?

1. Yellow banding

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Screen bubbling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Phantom touch / misclicking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Flash memory problem

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Screen failure / dead screen

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Other known cause (please list)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Unknown cause (please describe)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

#1 KarenRei, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    A followup to this thread to help break down the problems by incidence rate. This poll is only for people who had their MCU fail in a manner that required replacement. Thanks!

(If you share this poll, please only do so in threads where there's not likely to be sampling biases!)

• Helpful x 1
  2. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Dead flash @ ~6.5 yrs & 145K miles.

Replaced it myself and added a few ounces of prevention.

• Informative x 2
  3. Shadious

Shadious Member

How did you replace it?

4. scaesare

#4 scaesare, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Short version: Had it desoldered, recovered critical data, programmed replacement flash chip, had it resoldered.

Long version (along with experiences of several others).

5. Shadious

Shadious Member

Gotcha- not that savvy, certainly would love an easier/less expensive option... I think mine is toast- solid black screen, cannot reboot...

6. scaesare

Contact either @TonyT or @wk057, you can mail off your module (if you are willing to disassemble your dash), and they can do it for you for much less than Tesla's cost to replace your MCU.

The real trick is if your existing flash is not so toasted as to make extracting some key files impossible. I had to go through some interesting contortions to get mine finally...

• Like x 1
  7. TonyT

TonyT Member

Is it possible for people to make multiple choices. I've seen some combination issues...

8. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

I've heard about them leaking. Rich Rebuilds has mentioned it a couple of times. I found some liquid in the pocket below the screen that I couldn't identify and just figured my wife or kids put something in it but now I'm not so sure. My screen works fine however.

9. Shadious

Shadious Member

Interesting, how would I know if the flash drive is fried? I’d be willing to disassemble the dash and take out the MCU, but would not want to have the car out of commission for more rhan a week or two.

10. scaesare

I'd have to let the individual folks speak to how quickly they could tunr things around for you once you ship it off to them... but I would think inside your window is more than reasonable.

As to understanding if your flash (it's a soldered-on chip, not like a removable "flash drive") is too far gone, there's no real way of knowing ahead of time now that you can't boot your MCU. It will require de-soldering the chip, mounting it on a recovery workstation, and seeing if data can be read off of it.

You really don't need all the data from it. There are about 5 critical files that allow for the VPN connection back to the tesla mothership (allowing for your app to manage your car, etc...), app-to-drive functionality, etc... if you can get those 5, most everything else can be reconstructed from alternative sources (i.e. the actual boot partitions, etc...)

Even if you don't have those critical files, you can still make your car driveable, so you can get back on the road... it just won't get updates any more, be manageable, etc...

• Like x 1
  11. Shadious

Shadious Member

That is the start of the screen delamination. Do NOT wait, it will get worse and it is very hard to remove. You can buy a new screen from Tesla, or go used via eBay. You have to remove the dash to get to the MCU...