Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Failure Poll

Have you had the MCU issue and if so what year is your vehicle?

• 2016: YES

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • 2017: YES

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • 2018: YES

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 2019: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020: YES

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2015: YES

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 2014: YES

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 2013: YES

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 2012: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact that Tesla caused all of these MCUs to fail via their most recent OTA update(s), and apparently refuses to acknowledge that, is reprehensible. What's right is right, and what's not is not. Tesla seems to have chosen to screw every Model S and X owner whose car is out of warranty by refusing to cover the cost of these replacements (for which they're using refurbished parts). The manager in Rocklin hides behind their "policy" to avoid having to fairly address the issue. She has no real authority to do what's right, regardless. The update killed my '16 Model S MCU ≈ a month ago. This month, my '16 Model X MCU died the same way. I personally know of two other cars similarly afflicted. I know Elon has bigger fish to fry, but this is bullshit, especially when the people at the local service centers refuse to give you anybody's name/number higher up in the organization who might have the authority to actually address the issue. So angering and disappointing, especially (like most folks here) having bought (and caused to be bought) many Tesla cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: E Dizzle
Waited over 2 weeks to get the fix to bring it in tomorrow. I get a text last minute that the part is not available and the next appointment is 8/17.

I have not driven the X due to safety issues, No blinkers, no camera, no ac.... Really frustrating to say the least. Really hate how bad the service with tesla is.

This MCU issue is going to blow up to be a massive issue at this rate i'm seeing all the complaints.

Wow you are getting treated really poorly.

Did they give you a loaner b/c your car is basically out of service?

Michael

OP should post the safety drivability issues (no blinker, no backup cam, no AC defrost) due to MCU1 failure on NHTSA gov site: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

NHTSA is already starting an investigation against Tesla for 2015 Model S MCU failures. They prioritize investigations with number of consumer complains coupled with severity of safety impact, so make sure your example gets included.

When you say blinker issue, is it the turn signals dont work or the hazard lights dont work?

The fact that Tesla caused all of these MCUs to fail via their most recent OTA update(s), and apparently refuses to acknowledge that, is reprehensible. What's right is right, and what's not is not. Tesla seems to have chosen to screw every Model S and X owner whose car is out of warranty by refusing to cover the cost of these replacements (for which they're using refurbished parts). The manager in Rocklin hides behind their "policy" to avoid having to fairly address the issue. She has no real authority to do what's right, regardless. The update killed my '16 Model S MCU ≈ a month ago. This month, my '16 Model X MCU died the same way. I personally know of two other cars similarly afflicted. I know Elon has bigger fish to fry, but this is bullshit, especially when the people at the local service centers refuse to give you anybody's name/number higher up in the organization who might have the authority to actually address the issue. So angering and disappointing, especially (like most folks here) having bought (and caused to be bought) many Tesla cars.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I'll note it again: You should post these safety drivability issues (no blinker - or non-clicking-blinker, no backup cam, no AC defrost) due to MCU1 failure on NHTSA gov site: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

NHTSA is already starting an investigation against Tesla for 2015 Model S MCU failures. They prioritize investigations with number of consumer complains coupled with severity of safety impact, so make sure your example gets included.

The more we post about this to NHTSA, the harder it is for Tesla to hide under a rock about a known defect they created themselves.

This thread is illuminating, as someone looking to get into a Tesla at a price point where he knows he'll likely end up w/ MCU1.

Looks like any financial planning and purchasing will need to budget for the eventual repair/replacement.

Is not the real problem is a emmc error when writing logs on it this memory is to small for intense writting but on start of this year Tesla push a bug fix to correct that normaly for all cars problem is solved but...for olders is too late the emmc is near death for all cars from 2012 to 2016 I think cars from 2016 to 2018 is less concerned an new or with MCU2 never happend for 10-15 years.

Is the EMMC located on the daughter board. Tesla recommends to replace the daughter board which is actually cheaper.
And what price were you quoted for the daughter board replacement? My MCU1 hasn't failed yet (although it's showing signs of failure), was just curious what other's are being quoted for the replacement. I do have the Extended Service Agreement so the most I would have to pay is the $200 deductible, but curious what the daughter board price is.