Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Failure Poll

Have you had the MCU issue and if so what year is your vehicle?

• 2016: YES

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • 2017: YES

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • 2018: YES

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 2019: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020: YES

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2015: YES

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 2014: YES

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 2013: YES

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 2012: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. That's the new emmc fix that they're offering. I plan to do the same.

And what price were you quoted for the daughter board replacement? My MCU1 hasn't failed yet (although it's showing signs of failure), was just curious what other's are being quoted for the replacement. I do have the Extended Service Agreement so the most I would have to pay is the $200 deductible, but curious what the daughter board price is.

I’m paying $500ish

Here is the quote FWIW
Untitled-3.jpg

It appears to be the exact same item.

That's really too bad. It's my understanding that while Tesla via an OTA update reduced the amount of logging to help increase the life span of the emmc, why not upgrade it have it last even longer? Maybe the entire expected life of the car?

I'm glad to see that there is now a fix that is not a full MCU 1 replacement or a MCU 2 upgrade.

Reactions: ohmman
That's really too bad. It's my understanding that while Tesla via an OTA update reduced the amount of logging to help increase the life span of the emmc, why not upgrade it have it last even longer? Maybe the entire expected life of the car?

I'm glad to see that there is now a fix that is not a full MCU 1 replacement or a MCU 2 upgrade.
Agreed. And @rooter has said a number of times that the writes are less of an issue compared to the quality (or lack thereof) of the actual chip. So this buys time and maybe not a lot more.

I still feel it’s more likely than not that the NHTSA will force a recall here and we will be reimbursed. That would also force Tesla to do something more permanent as a solution.

Reactions: flyhigh123
FWIW, Tesla service ran a refresh script and managed to restore functionality of my MCU. It's probably only a matter of time before I have problems again (seeing that the eMMC chip is already clearly degraded), so I'm wondering if anyone is just getting the thing replaced. Seems like the daughterboard replacement (with upgraded chip) is the least expensive option, but I haven't seen a price for that. At a minimum, it takes quite a bit of work to get at the MCU, so it would be a fair bit of labor expense.

My 3/2018 MCU1 seems to be on it's way to failure. I'm frequently getting a black center display when the car wakes from sleep. Loss of all audio and center display while driving. Scroll-wheel reset works to clear it but it takes several minutes and while driving/navigating it can be pretty frustrating. I'm still covered by warranty so debating on having the SC fix the issue with MCU1 or just purchase the MCU2 upgrade now.

My 3/2018 MCU1 seems to be on it's way to failure. I'm frequently getting a black center display when the car wakes from sleep. Loss of all audio and center display while driving. Scroll-wheel reset works to clear it but it takes several minutes and while driving/navigating it can be pretty frustrating. I'm still covered by warranty so debating on having the SC fix the issue with MCU1 or just purchase the MCU2 upgrade now.
goto MCU2:D and be done with it........

Reactions: blitzpa

In the scenario where you get the MCU2 upgrade, Tesla should give you a discount since you are saving them from doing warranty work.

Reactions: blitzpa
Haven’t had a chance to post. But I own a 2016 (December build) 75D. My MCU failed a couple weeks ago. Had to drive it without blinkers working and at times ac wasn’t working. Pretty bad failure protocols.

I ended up just having them upgrade me to the newest upgraded MCU 2 and I didn’t want to keep my old screen.

Can anyone confirm if the new touch screen is LED? Hoping to prevent getting the yellow borders....

Haven’t had a chance to post. But I own a 2016 (December build) 75D. My MCU failed a couple weeks ago. Had to drive it without blinkers working and at times ac wasn’t working. Pretty bad failure protocols.
I ended up just having them upgrade me to the newest upgraded MCU 2 and I didn’t want to keep my old screen.
Can anyone confirm if the new touch screen is LED? Hoping to prevent getting the yellow borders....

MCU2 is LCD, and subject to yellow border. But that is a warranty fix if it happens.

So is that the same emmc that is being put back in and/or are they upgrading to something that will last longer?

It appears to be the exact same item.

And recently Tesla reduced significantly how much the car logs to the eMMC. So even with the same chip it should last longer than the chip in my 2017 TMX. Which btw hasn't failed yet.

Did same upgrade for same reasons and circumstances. But my old screen was fine w/o yellowing so all good. Our ICU's are new, enjoy those visualizations and killer speeds for both. OK, not killer, bettero_O