Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Failure Poll

Have you had the MCU issue and if so what year is your vehicle?

• 2016: YES

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • 2017: YES

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • 2018: YES

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 2019: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020: YES

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2015: YES

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 2014: YES

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 2013: YES

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 2012: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 2016 Model X in for the blank center screen issue on July 27, they said they needed a part and had the car until August 4 (coincidentally the 4 year anniversary of delivery). They did not replace anything The service invoice said "Correction: Software Recovery - Media Control Unit (Restore)". No parts were replaced. - They took a week to "restore"?!!

The problem has recurred. Service appointment is November 12.

I had the studder issue worked on last year, when I picked up the car and drove 100 feet the shaft broke (they said they put a Model S part in by mistake). Then they had to replace the both shafts and the front drive unit. Maybe if they fixed stuff correctly the first they would not be so busy!!

This is my second Tesla, but it may well be my last!!!

Reactions: xanatos
I had my 2016 Model X in for the blank center screen issue on July 27, they said they needed a part and had the car until August 4 (coincidentally the 4 year anniversary of delivery). They did not replace anything The service invoice said "Correction: Software Recovery - Media Control Unit (Restore)". No parts were replaced. - They took a week to "restore"?!!

I had the studder issue worked on last year, when I picked up the car and drove 100 feet the shaft broke (they said they put a Model S part in by mistake). Then they had to replace the both shafts and the front drive unit. Maybe if they fixed stuff correctly the first they would not be so busy!!

Can you guys give me some tips on the best way to go about getting service (black screen, stuttering when flooring it for full acceleration)?

I have an assigned service center and I know I can schedule thru the app....

Is there anything else I need to be aware of or helpful things I can do to have a better experience at service?

Kutu,

is the studded issue when you floor it and there is like a 'rattle' noise from what sounds like just under the front dash?

Michael

Can you guys give me some tips on the best way to go about getting service (black screen, stuttering when flooring it for full acceleration)?

I have an assigned service center and I know I can schedule thru the app....

Is there anything else I need to be aware of or helpful things I can do to have a better experience at service?

Kutu,

is the studded issue when you floor it and there is like a 'rattle' noise from what sounds like just under the front dash?

Michael
The is a lot of info on the studder issue, it might be best for me to give you the link "News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder"

They replaced my daughter board on 11/13/2020:

"Correction: Replace Tegra Daughterboard Inside MCU (Model X) Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN (2728212-S0-B) 1.0"

Has anyone had a failure after this was done?

Also, I couldn't get any info from the service center rep concerning the MCU1 to MCU2 replacement. What is the process for getting the upgrade?

Whelp, I'm guessing I'm officially on the MCU failure group this time for sure. After what seemed like a success with the full software reinstall back in early September (when I initially had requested MCU replacement), I now have not had a touchscreen display for five days. Additionally, I have had no ability to control any car function from the Tesla app, no climate control, no ability to use summon/autopilot features, no ability to issue voice commands (including "bug report"). FOB won't close doors (but it does unlock/lock them). Car won't charge (fortunately it was charged to 90% just before the touchscreen went dark).

On the 15th, the earliest appointment I could get at the local service center was Dec 1, so I'm in the queue. Their initial response finally came today and they are already suspecting MCU because they mentioned the extension of the warranty in their text. I am probably NOT going to drive my X until she can be serviced...since I don't want to risk running down the charge any further.

Fun times.

• Informative
Reactions: Lubestaff
Whelp, I'm guessing I'm officially on the MCU failure group this time for sure. After what seemed like a success with the full software reinstall back in early September (when I initially had requested MCU replacement), I now have not had a touchscreen display for five days. Additionally, I have had no ability to control any car function from the Tesla app, no climate control, no ability to use summon/autopilot features, no ability to issue voice commands (including "bug report"). FOB won't close doors (but it does unlock/lock them). Car won't charge (fortunately it was charged to 90% just before the touchscreen went dark).

On the 15th, the earliest appointment I could get at the local service center was Dec 1, so I'm in the queue. Their initial response finally came today and they are already suspecting MCU because they mentioned the extension of the warranty in their text. I am probably NOT going to drive my X until she can be serviced...since I don't want to risk running down the charge any further.

Fun times.
Do your blinkers work? In my case, once it they knew blinkers were not functional, car was not safe to drive, so that accelerated things.

Do your blinkers work? In my case, once it they knew blinkers were not functional, car was not safe to drive, so that accelerated things.

My blinkers may have worked, but they didn't make a sound.

I dropped her off for service this morning, but they just notified me they were able to get the touchscreen working without replacing the MCU/eMMC. And I can't check the invoice in the app because it sends me to a broken page, so I have no idea if they're going to charge me for whatever they did to get it working again. They are seriously trying to delay the inevitable for as long as they possibly can...

2016 Model X 90D, still under warranty. So I’ve been getting similar issues as others. Center screen freezing, blacking out, signals not working and now an error about low battery when I’m at about 85% (see picture). Is this what others experienced or is this in addition to? I have an appt 12/22, but the car seems to be unsafe to drive without reliable turn signals and now the issue with the battery. Any thoughts, should I go to the service center to drop it off or wait for my appointment? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• F600CA0B-97C1-40CF-9FAB-506943F68E86.jpeg
    F600CA0B-97C1-40CF-9FAB-506943F68E86.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 65
I've started to have problems with my center screen also. Problems started about 2 months ago. Screen would go dark. It would reboot by itself but would take many, many minutes. Navigation wouldn't work; I would get the spinning whirling icon for several minutes, and then it would report that it couldn't find that location. Vehicle movement on the map is choppy. Media goes silent -- if streaming, nothing is shown on the center screen where the media normally would be. So on and so on.....

I scheduled an appointment for next week at the SC. Like others have reported, the SC came back to me and asked me to point out specific dates/times along with a description of the problems. I laid it out for them. After sending the information, I later received a reply that this was a known firmware issue and the engineers "were hard at work on a solution."

Frankly, I think my emmc chip is failing.

How long does the replacement daughter board take to order? Mine still has not shipped. Brought the car in with a black display. They reloaded the software, gave me the car back, and said to come back when the part is available.

Lots of random behavior like parking sensors not making a sound.

I've started to have problems with my center screen also. Problems started about 2 months ago. Screen would go dark. It would reboot by itself but would take many, many minutes. Navigation wouldn't work; I would get the spinning whirling icon for several minutes, and then it would report that it couldn't find that location. Vehicle movement on the map is choppy. Media goes silent -- if streaming, nothing is shown on the center screen where the media normally would be. So on and so on.....

I scheduled an appointment for next week at the SC. Like others have reported, the SC came back to me and asked me to point out specific dates/times along with a description of the problems. I laid it out for them. After sending the information, I later received a reply that this was a known firmware issue and the engineers "were hard at work on a solution."

Frankly, I think my emmc chip is failing.
So I took my 2016 X into service for this same issue - it’s been recurring for about a year. I gave them a copy of the eMMC warranty extension. All they did was a “reflash” of the module and run a diagnostic, then claimed everything was fine. Apparently, to qualify for the 64GB eMMC replacement under the warranty, your car has to be bricked and completely dark when you take it to the service center. This does not make me very confident in relying on my X for my cross-country drive coming up in a few months...

Reactions: njhtran and ohmman
This does not make me very confident in relying on my X for my cross-country drive coming up in a few months...
I'd push the issue and point out that you'll be on the road. It was not fun at all being stuck on a road trip when mine failed. And we know yours will, it's just a matter of time. Perhaps knowing your plans, they'll adjust their "policy."