Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Failure Poll

Have you had the MCU issue and if so what year is your vehicle?

• 2016: YES

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • 2017: YES

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • 2018: YES

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 2019: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020: YES

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2015: YES

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 2014: YES

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 2013: YES

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 2012: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update: I took my X to Service Center on 12/14. They suggested they would replace the steering gear bolts (recall issue as I recall). During that visit, they reflashed my MCU and told me that no faults could be identified. So far, since picking up my vehicle, the MCU has worked correctly.

Interestingly, I was provided a loaner S! Haven't had a loaner in a very long time! :)

Only Trons,
I am told that they will reflash the MCU on my 2016 X P90D (due to black screen). Did you find that the reflash is worth it? My MCU was totally replaced in Jan 2020. Should I be asking for the
"Correction: Replace Tegra Daughterboard Inside MCU (Model X) Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN (2728212-S0-B) 1.0"

An update: I took my X to Service Center on 12/14. They suggested they would replace the steering gear bolts (recall issue as I recall). During that visit, they reflashed my MCU and told me that no faults could be identified. So far, since picking up my vehicle, the MCU has worked correctly.

Interestingly, I was provided a loaner S! Haven't had a loaner in a very long time! :)

It will begin doing random reboots in about a month. I am averaging 1 reboot every week. REflashing does nothing and it will eventually fail, they are hoping AFTER the warranty expires

Only Trons,
I am told that they will reflash the MCU on my 2016 X P90D (due to black screen). Did you find that the reflash is worth it? My MCU was totally replaced in Jan 2020. Should I be asking for the
"Correction: Replace Tegra Daughterboard Inside MCU (Model X) Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN (2728212-S0-B) 1.0"

YEs and a refund on the MCU cost per their memo

sorry.... haven't been on the forum for a few days and just saw this. The reflash worked OK for a few weeks. This past Friday, back to the same old behavior. First the FM radio (where I listen to traffic reports) went out. Moments later, an alert popped up on the IC that says something like: "Autopilot features unavailable." Shortly thereafter the screen went completely black. About 3 - 4 minutes later, it started a reboot. And a minute or two after that, the screen came back. During that time, the HVAC continued to work for a minute or two, then stopped completely. Ugh!

• Informative
Reactions: GoCanes
I have a 2016 Model X delivered in March 2016, serial number 01702, 43,500 miles. My MCU1 has been giving me issues for about a year. Typically one or both screens going black at random times. Long reboots. But in general all functions work. A few weeks ago a warning came up on the driver screen saying, "Center Display storage device degraded, contact service." See attached photo. Today I got into the Palo Alto, CA, service center. The invoice says they replaced, "MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB) REMAN." It was covered under warranty. Fortunately I never experienced the serious issues others have described on this thread.

Attachments

• tesla - 1.jpeg
    tesla - 1.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 76
2016 Model X 90D, still under warranty. So I’ve been getting similar issues as others. Center screen freezing, blacking out, signals not working and now an error about low battery when I’m at about 85% (see picture). Is this what others experienced or is this in addition to? I have an appt 12/22, but the car seems to be unsafe to drive without reliable turn signals and now the issue with the battery. Any thoughts, should I go to the service center to drop it off or wait for my appointment? Thank you in advance.

Quick update, I had my 12v replaced during my 12/22 appt and they ordered the 64MB “thing”. After this appointment I had another center screen freeze with turn signal malfunctions. The alerts showed other errors as well. Luckily I had an appointment this week to replace the 64 MB part that was ordered. SA called and confirmed that the failures were caused by the hardware. They said if this doesn’t work they will likely have to upgrade to MCU2. Is it weird I’m hoping that it fails :)

Quick update, I had my 12v replaced during my 12/22 appt and they ordered the 64MB “thing”. After this appointment I had another center screen freeze with turn signal malfunctions. The alerts showed other errors as well. Luckily I had an appointment this week to replace the 64 MB part that was ordered. SA called and confirmed that the failures were caused by the hardware. They said if this doesn’t work they will likely have to upgrade to MCU2. Is it weird I’m hoping that it fails :)
Anyone else thinking they may just replace all the rest of the MCU1's remaining just to have this debacle over with? Between the wasted time of more service visits and NHTSA breathing down their necks I'm thinking they may just do the rest for free and maybe try to compensate the people who already upgraded in some small way.

Yes replaced in September for $2755.57 replaced both screens and rear camera for some reason. Got email saying ....possible refund to those who qualify...will notify by February.... I am waiting. I do qualify but anticipate it to take a while for refund?

Anyone else thinking they may just replace all the rest of the MCU1's remaining just to have this debacle over with? Between the wasted time of more service visits and NHTSA breathing down their necks I'm thinking they may just do the rest for free and maybe try to compensate the people who already upgraded in some small way.

I really hope so. I was on a long trip and about 10pm when it failed. Center screen would not reset without a forced reset. Then I couldn’t get full functionality until I stopped to charge. Scary and not safe.

Tesla does not realize how dangerous an issue this is until an incident occurs.

On our 10 hour road trip last month, the screen froze 5 miles before the exit for a supercharging stop. The navigation went out and screen went blank. The car continued to drive for a little on autopilot and I missed the exit. I had to stop on the side of a random highway with truck speeding by and search on my phone to find my way back. Luckily there was an exit a few miles away to come back to charge with few miles left to spare. Usually these stretches are long and exits are not very frequent.

Another scary incident in the same trip- I reached a stretch where the visibility was only 10-15 feet and I couldn't turn on the fog lights as the computer was restarting. I had to drive slowly with the emergency lights on and let other vehicles pass.

I would consider navigation/ window defogger/ fog lights as higher risk items that should result in an immediate NHTSA recall rather than the backup camera which is not as pressing as the rest IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: njhtran and Altes
How long does the replacement daughter board take to order? Mine still has not shipped. Brought the car in with a black display. They reloaded the software, gave me the car back, and said to come back when the part is available.

Lots of random behavior like parking sensors not making a sound.

6 weeks later and 96 hours in the shop, the memory was replaced.

You lose all of your settings: No profiles. No home. No trips. No garage door openers. Wiped clean. Probably spent an hour getting everything back.

We didn't have any problems between visits. The reflashing made things better.