Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Failure Poll

Have you had the MCU issue and if so what year is your vehicle?

• 2016: YES

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • 2017: YES

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • 2018: YES

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 2019: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020: YES

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2015: YES

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 2014: YES

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 2013: YES

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 2012: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 X, one of the earlier models. My MCU just died, 2 days after my warranty expired...

It feels like the MCU issue is not just a standard wear and tear, but a defect that Tesla has not properly addressed. I do feel that this should be covered under a warranty. From other posts, i forsee that we will start to see a lot of MCU issues.

This problem is downright dangerous. My car blinkers do not work, cannot control the AC, no backup camera, nothing. The other day, it took my car over 20 minutes to turn on, sitting in 90+ degree heat in so cal. Luckily didn't have my kids with me.

I called tesla, they told me to bring in the car. I took it to a local service center only to be turned around with a 20 day wait for an appointment. I explained how its a liability issue, but their service center didn't care. Pretty much said we have so many defective vehicles that we have no place to store yours.

Don't get me wrong, i love my tesla, but the service is just unacceptable for a company worth more than Toyota now.

I'm hoping to create awareness into a problem that may be a major defect.

I really wonder what the % of issues and how widespread it is. It seems to be an issue that may affect most 2016 X sooner or later. Just a quick search shows this similar issue is coming up constantly for what I thought i was a unique situation. I've purchased 4 Teslas and the service does not show any loyalty to help an issue like this.

OP should post the safety drivability issues (no blinker, no backup cam, no AC defrost) due to MCU1 failure on NHTSA gov site: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

NHTSA is already starting an investigation against Tesla for 2015 Model S MCU failures. They prioritize investigations with number of consumer complains coupled with severity of safety impact, so make sure your example gets included.

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and E Dizzle
Nice poll. Yes should do well.

I thought about adding a no, but I’m not trying to get a ratio as it would not be a fair ratio of cars with and without the issue. I wanted to see the spread in years and already showing that 2016 is an issue.

OP should post the safety drivability issues (no blinker, no backup cam, no AC defrost) due to MCU1 failure on NHTSA gov site: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

NHTSA is already starting an investigation against Tesla for 2015 Model S MCU failures. They prioritize investigations with number of consumer complains coupled with severity of safety impact, so make sure your example gets included.

will do!

Over a period of some months I have noticed a noticeable delay in the reset process. Manual states expect 20 secs for Tesla logo to appear but mine now takes at least 90 secs and over 150 secs for screen to be fully operational. Took it Service centre and they reset the trip meters and said could not replicate issue. Still takes 90 secs to reset! I shall keep registering concern but suspect that MCU1 cannot cope with increased demands of various features not related to driving.

Over a period of some months I have noticed a noticeable delay in the reset process. Manual states expect 20 secs for Tesla logo to appear but mine now takes at least 90 secs and over 150 secs for screen to be fully operational. Took it Service centre and they reset the trip meters and said could not replicate issue. Still takes 90 secs to reset! I shall keep registering concern but suspect that MCU1 cannot cope with increased demands of various features not related to driving.

Seeing the same thing here, ECamel... Yesterday my rear view camera and proximity detectors never closed out after I started to drive, and I had to reset the screen mid-drive here in the AZ 110 degree heat, and it was a brutal wait for the reset. I’ve noticed more and more quirky things like this causing a need to reset in the past few weeks, and just hope that the thing craps out prior to miles or time on warranty (have about 9k miles and 10 months left).

the MCU failure discussion is pretty complete on the S forum. It has to do with the emmc chip. There are people who will replace that chip with a more robust one. But, for $500, the $1,100 exchange that I just had to do, at 216000 Miles, was better from Tesla.

as a side note Tesla is supposedly offering the MCU2 upgrade for all MCU1 cars. Unfortunately they tell me that they have no idea when my VIN number series will be allowed. So, I stayed with the MCU1.

Mine might be going too. Weird things happening like erratic volume control, absence of a turn signal click, strange changes in cabin comfort settings, weird summon behavior and a couple of other issues all of which are corrected by a hard reset.

Waited over 2 weeks to get the fix to bring it in tomorrow. I get a text last minute that the part is not available and the next appointment is 8/17.

I have not driven the X due to safety issues, No blinkers, no camera, no ac.... Really frustrating to say the least. Really hate how bad the service with tesla is.

This MCU issue is going to blow up to be a massive issue at this rate i'm seeing all the complaints.

aited over 2 weeks to get the fix to bring it in tomorrow. I get a text last minute that the part is not available and the next appointment is 8/17.

I have not driven the X due to safety issues, No blinkers, no camera, no ac.... Really frustrating to say the least. Really hate how bad the service with tesla is.

This MCU issue is going to blow up to be a massive issue at this rate i'm seeing all the complaints.

I feel for you man. I have a 2016 as well and I am wondering when my MCU will die. Have you checked this thread out? Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) Evfixme is located in Socal, I am thinking of doing a preemptive fix on mine but I would rather upgrade to MCU2 once its available to AP1 owners.

I'm not 100% sure my recent audio issues are MCU related, but I have been having intermittent issues with my 2016 Model X not having any audio (not just music, but turn signal clicks, proximity sensor chimes, door acknowledgements, autopilot indications, navigation, etc). I mentioned this to service when they texted to confirm a mobile service appointment I had scheduled for replacing my original Universal Mobile Connector (which had failed back when the pandemic started...wasn't in a rush since we had been using the one that came with my wife's Model 3...but my warranty will be ending soon).

They asked me to reboot, install a software update that they pushed, report whenever I experienced the issue, and record a video showing the lack of sound when I did things like change audio volume and enable the turn signals. Their response was to proactively order a replacement MCU (Part #: 1098010-99-H). They anticipate it will arrive in a month (my original warranty is good until some time in September)...and when it arrives they'll schedule a time for me to bring my X to the SC.

I'm not in any real rush since I've been working from home and haven't been driving that much, but it is really unnerving when the audio isn't playing...especially when I back out of or park in my garage since I like hearing when I'm close to our other cars. I'm even more concerned this may happen when my wife borrows the X for Costco runs. During her last one she had music, but mentioned the turn clicker was barely audible.

Last edited:
I am starting to notice similar behaviours with my MX (screen shutting down mid drive, signal refusing to work, Ac turning off, rear camera blacking out). But I only started noticing this once I had upgraded my autopilot hardware to HW3 (mid June). Found my MCU 1 performance was very degraded after the upgrade. Prior to the HW3 update, MCU 1 was fine (sure not as fast as MCU 2) but it was acceptable. Now whenever I enable autopilot there is a good 2-3 second delay before I hear the chime and the display in the IC. I'm afraid upgrading to HW3 is accelerating the wear and tear on my MCU and will probably die soon.

My MCU1 screen just went black after 4yrs, could still charge, but no blinkers. Dublin SC said leave it with them, not safe to drive.
Below link is a description of the infotainment upgrade I got. It's been a dream since, with just a lot of updating, homelinking and calibrating etc. I'm still in early testing (not even tried dashcam yet, the main attraction), but a black screen in my case, may have put me at the front of the MCU upgrade que.

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade