TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MCU Hardware Revisons

Discussion in 'Technical' started by apacheguy, Oct 6, 2015.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Had my MCU replaced at Van Nuys SvC. Service invoice states the unit as being a Rev. M (1004777-00-M). Anyone know what's been changed since Rev. A?

My guess would be lots of small things, but with the IC, one of the hardware revs beefed up the panel resolution. I'm wondering if anyone has discovered something similar with the MCU.

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

When you say MCU are you referring to the instrument cluster or the 17"? I'm assuming you're referring to the 17" in which case the resolution on that has not been changed. Only the instrument cluster display was upgraded to higher resolution.

3. Lump

Lump Active Member

Not aware of any changes, mine was replaced in July.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.21.08 PM.png

4. apacheguy

Correct. But there clearly have been other under the hood changes which some may be privy to. Thinking @Ingineer or others that have spent time tearing apart their cars.

5. apacheguy

#5 apacheguy, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    FWIW, the IHS tear down indicates that 2013 models shipped with Rev C units:

Teardown Tesla 2013 Model S Premium Media Control Unit 100477700C - IHS Technology

They've gone thru quite a few hardware revs in only 3 years of production. The DUs are up by a similar count, but they've had far more issues so this is expected.

---updated---

Dig some digging and noticed that the MCU now apparently has a Tegra 4 chip whereas in 2013 it had a Tegra 3. So there's something interesting.

Hacking a Tesla Model S: What we found and what we learned | Lookout Blog

6. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

There have been no major changes to MCU hardware except of course the new LTE modem module.

They run a Tegra3 still:
    MCU-Tegra3.jpg

7. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

i can't imagine they made you pay for replacement... Right? Must be 'goodwill'

8. apacheguy

9. youlikeadajuice

There is (or at least was at some point) a difference in the MCU between tech package and non-tech cars. There is a discussion in this thread about non-tech cars needing to swap out their MCU for the upgraded one in order to get NAV (unless they had upgraded sound, which also apparently uses the upgraded MCU).

10. Ingineer

Yes, Tesla has two versions "Standard" and "Premium". Premium comes with nav, and I think the only hardware difference is the addition of the 16G SD card that contains the mapping data. (And a setting in the config)

11. jmanning

jmanning Member

I got my 70D in June. I not very tech savvy so I will ask you all.....considering how fast technology moves what kind of comfort should we have in our MCU? How long before it will need to be changed out?? Considering you get the newest phone, in a couple months it is outdated..... I heard it costs about 5,000 but that was a few years ago.

Thoughts??

12. apacheguy

No reason to single out the MCU. There are so many other hardware changes that if youre the type of person that always needs the latest and greatest, you'll have to buy a new Tesla every year or so.

13. jmanning

jmanning Member

Never bought the Model S because it was the latest and greatest, just wondering how long before the main computer system in the car would not work nearly as well.
    This is not talked about, the battery degradation is, so does anybody have any thoughts on years before new major computer systems would need to be replaced.
    I love our 70D, I love Tesla and the movement it has shifted the energy and transportation industry in. Thanks to all those in the field working hard.

14. Ingineer

They build the MCU modular, so that the cellular modem and the processor/GPU could be changed in the field. They already offer a $500 LTE upgrade. If they decide there just isn't enough processing grunt left, they can design a new CPU board without redesigning the whole system.

15. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Computer systems do not "degrade" like batteries. They tend to work forever and at the same speed. If it works now, it will work forever.

16. Ingineer

That's assuming the software never changes. Tesla keeps adding features, so the software is getting larger and the CPU and memory footprint is growing.

• Like x 1
  17. zambono

zambono Member

Glad to hear it had Tegra 4 then, this should help if they ever get the phone mirroring or other phone integration.

18. apacheguy

Nope. The blog post was incorrect. Tegra 3 on the MCU.

19. zambono

zambono Member

20. apacheguy

See @Ingineer's post. He was looking at a more recent MCU.