Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU is dead, car is bricked, Tesla is being unforgivably terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4 There will be plenty of need for parts from collisions alone, something Tesla clearly has never accounted for since it takes months to get a Tesla repaired after simple fender benders. If anything happens to a Tesla be prepared to not see it for at least 3 months. This should be on their marketing material.

This is the drawback I tell people too.

Although it has gotten better compared to lay year at least at the body shop I used.

• Love
Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
I had a very similar experience when I got my 9/2017 car - took them weeks and were very uncommunicative. The next time I needed anything done, I went to a different SC and had a wholly different and far better experience. It really does vary greatly from SC to SC. I'm lucky that I have 2 SCs within a half hour of me, and a couple others within an hour, but sadly that's not the case for everyone.

Reactions: shellderp
I had a very similar experience when I got my 9/2017 car - took them weeks and were very uncommunicative. The next time I needed anything done, I went to a different SC and had a wholly different and far better experience. It really does vary greatly from SC to SC. I'm lucky that I have 2 SCs within a half hour of me, and a couple others within an hour, but sadly that's not the case for everyone.

Keeping in mind anecdotes do not equate to data, would you be kind enough to reveal which service center was suboptimal and which SC provided a good experience? TIA

4 There will be plenty of need for parts from collisions alone, something Tesla clearly has never accounted for since it takes months to get a Tesla repaired after simple fender benders. If anything happens to a Tesla be prepared to not see it for at least 3 months. This should be on their marketing material.
Not my experience. I've had a door replaced and a rear bumper cover. Both parts were available within a couple of weeks.

Keeping in mind anecdotes do not equate to data, would you be kind enough to reveal which service center was suboptimal and which SC provided a good experience? TIA
Springfield seemed too busy to look at my car, and too busy to even give me updates. Paramus would text me every day, even if there wasn't an update, to keep me in the loop. I heard from a buddy that recently had an appointment there to have his winter wheels swapped for summer that Paramus has changed further to become even more efficient, enforcing appointment times to not have delays and sending agreements a few days prior to the appointment so that 2 issues doesn't turn into 5 with "oh, and one more thing I forgot". Maybe if Springfield has also adopted these new policies, their act might be cleaned up by now, too.

That has got to be so frustrating. This is why I cannot rely on our Tesla (car) because the Tesla (corporate) processes are not streamlined for good customer service. My contingency if our Tesla is out of commission is to fall back on our other 3 cars. 2 months ago I brought our Model S to have the inactive rear defroster looked at. It took a month to schedule an appointment at our local but overwhelmed SC. The drop-off line at 2PM was 9 cars deep and backed up on the street well beyond the driveway. Thinking it was just a fuse, I thought I might get my car back that same day (how naive was I?). The car sat in the back of the service center for 3 days, then moved to an off-site auxiliary lot for another 5 days. They finally got to work on the car and took about 3 hours of service bay time. I declined a loaner car because I have extra cars around but it would have been easier and potentially cheaper for Tesla to just service the car when they were ready for it.

The car is great when you don't need any service, but when it does need service I start thinking about other car brands. How awesome would it be to have Tesla design and technology, with Honda/Toyota reliability, MB luxury, with a service center as efficient as Costco or Ikea? A guy can only dream...

While I agree that is how it should be, that is not the vision Elon is driving. Think Apple airpods, what happens when they have a "collision"? You throw them away and buy a new pair. Apple doesn't officially state their airpods are "disposable" but effectively they are. Elon seems to want the same thing, which is why parts and service are not on his priority list. Elon is a risk taker, this is just another risk he's taking - "I am ignoring parts and service because I won't need it once I get my 1M mile disposable car which drives itself and therefore has many less collisions". As with any risks, there is a potential down side, if the 1M mile, cheap, perfect driving car doesn't happen, Tesla loses customers and game over. If it does, Elon is a genius and Tesla is an unmitigated success. Before you dismiss this, it is not as crazy as you might think (it is crazy, just not completely insane). If Tesla cars are cheap enough COMBINED WITH very low collision rates due to FSD (not there today, but that is what Elon is aiming for), the idea that minor collisions are fixed by non-Tesla trained shops (buff out dents, patch repaint, new windshield, tires, etc) and more major collisions are simply write-offs, may actually work for insurance companies. Insurance doesn't care if they have 10 accidents at $4K or 1 accident at $40K. Teslas just need to crash 10x less than other cars.

Service experience is unfortunately very location specific. In some places, it is excellent. I always get great communications and updates come via text. Can also text back and they follow up.

There are some service centers that are terrible though. So getting through to corporate about bad experiences is important.

Agreed. Nothing but great service, including deliver, from the Marietta, GA Service Center.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT and Mhoepfin
I get that Tesla Service needs to get better. I empathize with alot of people that waited to get their car back for weeks/months. But am I the only one here that doesn't sympathize with the Original Poster? They got back to him letting him know they have their car promptly, and then got a seond, more complete response in 3ish days/1 business day, and he was basically wasting Tesla resources by spamming whoever he could get a hold of. I have certainly had many, many other worse customer service stories from other companies.

I get that Tesla Service needs to get better. I empathize with alot of people that waited to get their car back for weeks/months. But am I the only one here that doesn't sympathize with the Original Poster? They got back to him letting him know they have their car promptly, and then got a seond, more complete response in 3ish days/1 business day, and he was basically wasting Tesla resources by spamming whoever he could get a hold of. I have certainly had many, many other worse customer service stories from other companies.

Yes, you are the only one.

Name one other car company that has such problems with lack of communications and service.

One gets better service when fixing a Kia.

While I agree that is how it should be, that is not the vision Elon is driving. Think Apple airpods, what happens when they have a "collision"? You throw them away and buy a new pair. Apple doesn't officially state their airpods are "disposable" but effectively they are. Elon seems to want the same thing, which is why parts and service are not on his priority list. Elon is a risk taker, this is just another risk he's taking - "I am ignoring parts and service because I won't need it once I get my 1M mile disposable car which drives itself and therefore has many less collisions".

Wouldnt this be similar to droppping off your Tesla and having it replaced with another Tesla - if under warranty?
Apple does it with phones and other tech, where if it is a known issue, they just replace their devices with other devices. Then fix that solution and pass it on?

Wouldnt this be similar to droppping off your Tesla and having it replaced with another Tesla - if under warranty?
Apple does it with phones and other tech, where if it is a known issue, they just replace their devices with other devices. Then fix that solution and pass it on?
If the car under warranty breaks down, yes. If Elon really makes a 1M mile car, such warranty replacements should be so rare it will cheaper to give the customer a new car than maintaining service centers.