Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU is dead, car is bricked, Tesla is being unforgivably terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car "bricked" in my garage. Had to be towed out. MCU would not come on. Car would not go into D R or N. No reset approach worked. Tesla had roadside service tow car. This is a Friday.

Friday: no communication from Tesla, as emergency roadside assistance said I would get (confirming receipt at service center)
Saturday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.
Sunday: no communication from Tesla.
Monday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.

Exasperated, 4 days without my car, not even knowing where the car ended up or whether it got their safely, I called roadside emergency assistance so I could talk to a human. No help. Told me to call # that goes to full voicemail. Finally I kept calling the local Sales team and literally begged them to help me. Hung up phone. Two hours later I get text from 202 number from person named Marie who doesn't cite their title, location, or anything, and says, "Hi XXXX, your vehicle is here with us at the Tesla service center. We have ordered a replacement Media Control Unit for your vehicle. At this time I do not have a time frame for the part but I will let you know as soon as we have an estimated time of arrival. Thank you, Marie."

No estimate.

No offer of loaner.

Sorry, but this is total horsesh*t. The lack of communication. Lack of parts. Lack of compassion. Lack of everything.

I am a huge Tesla fan, shareholder, evangelist, all the things.

This is completely unacceptable.

Those considering a Tesla should read this thread as part of making an informed decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car "bricked" in my garage. Had to be towed out. MCU would not come on. Car would not go into D R or N. No reset approach worked. Tesla had roadside service tow car. This is a Friday.

Friday: no communication from Tesla, as emergency roadside assistance said I would get (confirming receipt at service center)
Saturday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.
Sunday: no communication from Tesla.
Monday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.

Exasperated, 4 days without my car, not even knowing where the car ended up or whether it got their safely, I called roadside emergency assistance so I could talk to a human. No help. Told me to call # that goes to full voicemail. Finally I kept calling the local Sales team and literally begged them to help me. Hung up phone. Two hours later I get text from 202 number from person named Marie who doesn't cite their title, location, or anything, and says, "Hi XXXX, your vehicle is here with us at the Tesla service center. We have ordered a replacement Media Control Unit for your vehicle. At this time I do not have a time frame for the part but I will let you know as soon as we have an estimated time of arrival. Thank you, Marie."

No estimate.

No offer of loaner.

Sorry, but this is total horseshit. The lack of communication. Lack of parts. Lack of compassion. Lack of everything.

Those considering a Tesla should read this thread as part of making an informed decision.
Sounds like Honda with my Accord. Dropped it off about two weeks ago. No calls, finally went by in person, looked at the worksheet and told them what repairs to make. That was over a week ago and no follow up.
Customer Service is on life support in the USA

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this and I'm in the same boat (fan, shareholder, etc.). My wife and I have become more cautious about recommending Tesla to friends and family.

My car was hit and damaged significantly so my experience may be completely different from what you're about to go through. With that being said, the service department remains awful. Don't get me wrong, there are some great employees and we've had some good experiences. From what I've seen, those are not as consistent as they should be by now.

The body work done on my S is awful and will need to be redone. The car was returned two months late. Communication does not exist (I've made dozens of phone calls, sent email, tried the instant messaging and it is all terrible). They're so overwhelmed that I've asked them twice to collect my deductible and they still haven't gotten to it.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this and I'm in the same boat (fan, shareholder, etc.). My wife and I have become more cautious about recommending Tesla to friends and family.

My car was hit and damaged significantly so my experience may be completely different from what you're about to go through. With that being said, the service department remains awful. Don't get me wrong, there are some great employees and we've had some good experiences. From what I've seen, those are not as consistent as they should be by now.

The body work done on my S is awful and will need to be redone. The car was returned two months late. Communication does not exist (I've made dozens of phone calls, sent email, tried the instant messaging and it is all terrible). They're so overwhelmed that I've asked them twice to collect my deductible and they still haven't gotten to it.
Who did the body work?

Coincidence, or perhaps folks from Tesla monitor these forums, but minutes after I posted I got a text and then a phone call. Once I talked to a human they were great. But, talking to a human was *way* too hard. Clearly something is broken. Maybe they're short staffed. Maybe there is no process. Maybe their CRM is awful. Just need to fix it!
Yes they are watching. Not sure how thoroughly, but they are. Never thought of using the forum to get their attention, but never needed to. Other than fixing Version 9. So they know Version 9 irritates a lot of owners. I winder if they are working on that.

Sorry to hear your experience-hope you at least get an MCU2 out of it ;)
I agree there is an odd consistency and irony to Tesla service. It seems they act before speaking with the communication coming as an afterthought. When you finally talk to someone you realize they have been trying to fix the issue and are working hard (not standing around a hole watching someone else) to have something concrete to say.
Example-email question is my car stuck on firmware and magically two days later the car is ready to update and never get a response.
It is frustrating to be in the dark when something goes wrong like this, and they should have set you up with enterprise rental. I think service is certainly improving near me in 2019 and once I learned how to bypass and get directly to my local SC folks they have kept me in constant contact and been great. I hope your experience is up from here.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
Surprisingly terrible story, but not uncommon.

ELON: GET ON THIS as it profoundly hurts Tesla's mission!

Crazy examples of similar stories abound, and they make me wonder if Elon has far too much on his plate to ever fix it.

Completely unacceptable, and on so many levels.
Elon doesn't care. Service is an annoyance, just as are trade-ins have been when you buy a new Tesla. Elon wants nothing to do with it. He wants to be in the business of disposable products - you buy one, use it until it breaks, then throw it out, get a new one. Sadly a car is not like a pair of Apple earpods. That is why Elon set out for each car to be a million mile car with no service. Sadly, between ambiens and whatever else he takes, he convinced himself all Tesla cars are already 1M mile cars, so any car under 1M miles needing service is unthinkable to Elon.

The only question is, what will happen faster:
  1. Investors fire Elon and let someone who knows how to run a car company take over
  2. Tesla runs out of customers and money and some big manufacturer takes it over, with existing network of services
  3. Tesla folds and some outfit buys the rights in an auction to manufacture parts and service remaining cars
  4. Elon figures out how to mass produce an actual 1M mile car, a car which does not require any service until the odometer hits 1,000,000 miles, at which point the car is scrapped. No need for service centers, or replacement parts. Consumables like tires, wipers, etc. would be serviced by existing tire stores and other auto garages, but they would need no help from Tesla (Elon's wet dream).

Last edited:
I have similar story about issues after taking delivery of a used MS. Zero communication and getting the runaround. I do love this car, but the headaches and frustration of working with Tesla almost negates that (almost...). Good luck hope it gets sorted out quickly for you.

Elon doesn't care. Service is an annoyance, just as are trade-ins have been when you buy a new Tesla. Elon wants nothing to do with it. He wants to be in the business of disposable products - you buy one, use it until it breaks, then throw it out, get a new one. Sadly a car is not like a pair of Apple earpods. That is why Elon set out for each car to be a million mile car with no service. Sadly, between ambiens and whatever else he takes, he convinced himself all Tesla cars are already 1M mile cars, so any car under 1M miles needing service is unthinkable to Elon.

1. Investors fire Elon and let someone who knows how to run a car company take over
  2. Tesla runs out of customers and money and some big manufacturer takes it over, with existing network of services
  3. Tesla folds and some outfit buys the rights in an auction to manufacture parts and service remaining cars
  4. Elon figures out how to mass produce an actual 1M mile car, a car which does not require any service until the odometer hits 1,000,000 miles, at which point the car is scrapped. No need for service centers, or replacement parts. Consumables like tires, wipers, etc. would be serviced by existing tire stores and other auto garages, but they would need no help from Tesla (Elon's wet dream).

4 There will be plenty of need for parts from collisions alone, something Tesla clearly has never accounted for since it takes months to get a Tesla repaired after simple fender benders. If anything happens to a Tesla be prepared to not see it for at least 3 months. This should be on their marketing material.

Coincidence, or perhaps folks from Tesla monitor these forums, but minutes after I posted I got a text and then a phone call. Once I talked to a human they were great. But, talking to a human was *way* too hard. Clearly something is broken. Maybe they're short staffed. Maybe there is no process. Maybe their CRM is awful. Just need to fix it!
They didn't take it to the SC in Canada where they fired everyone on the staff there did they? Would explain no one picking up? Poor attempt to lighten it up but man that sucks. Best of luck.
Dzm

Totally disagree - not sure Tesla needs someone who knows how to run a car company....they'd probably establish dealerships and make Tesla into GM 'like'. Tesla just needs an innovator to concentrate on the brand and vision instead of everything in the solar system: digging tunnels, building computers that transport passengers ie the autos, autonomous vessels at sea, launching satellites, flying to mars, living on mars....

Dzm