Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU lagging, crashing on long trips after v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 LR RWD, V11 w/ FSD Beta (2021.44.30.5).

Any trip more than an hour or so causes the MCU to initially start to lag. Audio stutters. Backup camera becomes nearly unusable. More recently, the interface eventually completely crashes (video below).

Is this occurring for anyone else? I'm assuming this is a V11 software issue since it seemed to start happening right after the update. I'm out of warranty (63k miles), so wanted to see what others are seeing before creating a service appointment.

My drive into work is a bit more than an hour when I have to drive in, and I have not experienced anything like that at all, however I am not on FSD beta. I do have FSD, but I am on the "regular" branch as I never applied for (and dont intent to apply for) the FSD beta.

Not sure if that helps you though, other than, I have taken multiple drives of over 1 hour and have not experienced anything like that, and I am currently on 2021.44.30.11, on a 2018 Model 3 Performance.

Model 3 LR RWD, V11 w/ FSD Beta (2021.44.30.5).

Any trip more than an hour or so causes the MCU to initially start to lag. Audio stutters. Backup camera becomes nearly unusable. More recently, the interface eventually completely crashes (video below).

Is this occurring for anyone else? I'm assuming this is a V11 software issue since it seemed to start happening right after the update. I'm out of warranty (63k miles), so wanted to see what others are seeing before creating a service appointment.
Holy crap this happens to me every other day. Around 200 mile mark. I’ve reported it and created service appointment. I thought I was crazy. Frame rate drops. Cameras lag. Blinkers stop making sound. Eventually it just freezes completely till I hold both scroll wheels. This is a problem. Happened last night and I video taped about 5 minutes of it. So frustrating.

I’m guessing it’s a cache issue.

I've had some odd startup behavior the last few days that appeared essentially to be MCU lag. I got in the car yesterday afternoon to the "T" logo onscreen before the driving display came up. Not the usual behavior.

Hopefully someone will come along to defend Tesla and explain to us that it's not an issue.

Looking at my logs, the most recent incident was about 100 miles into the drive and 2 hours since last sleeping.

Holy crap this happens to me every other day. Around 200 mile mark. I’ve reported it and created service appointment. I thought I was crazy. Frame rate drops. Cameras lag. Blinkers stop making sound. Eventually it just freezes completely till I hold both scroll wheels. This is a problem. Happened last night and I video taped about 5 minutes of it. So frustrating.

I’m guessing it’s a cache issue.
What car and software version do you have?

Good to hear I'm not alone. It's annoying, but if its just a software glitch (particularly if it's just on the FSD beta branch) that will be fixed soon then no big deal. Just was starting to worry that I had some sort of hardware issue b/c I haven't been hearing widespread complaints. Like yea, the UI is kind of annoying, but the entire screen lagging and crashing nonstop is far worse than any UI change haha

Looking at my logs, the most recent incident was about 100 miles into the drive and 2 hours since last sleeping.

What car and software version do you have?

Good to hear I'm not alone. It's annoying, but if its just a software glitch (particularly if it's just on the FSD beta branch) that will be fixed soon then no big deal. Just was starting to worry that I had some sort of hardware issue b/c I haven't been hearing widespread complaints. Like yea, the UI is kind of annoying, but the entire screen lagging and crashing nonstop is far worse than any UI change haha
I have a 2022 MYP, ver. 2021.44.30.8. I am in the beta queue. Sitting at 99 score with 2200 miles lol. So no full FSD version.

I just scheduled a service appointment 5 minutes ago after seeing I’m not the only one. The service center called me and is having me bring it in. It’s not something they can do as a mobile appointment.

They confirmed a loaner car for me too which is nice.

I have a 2022 MYP, ver. 2021.44.30.8. I am in the beta queue. Sitting at 99 score with 2200 miles lol. So no full FSD version.

I just scheduled a service appointment 5 minutes ago after seeing I’m not the only one. The service center called me and is having me bring it in. It’s not something they can do as a mobile appointment.

They confirmed a loaner car for me too which is nice.
Cool, please keep me posted on what the service center says!

Yes, this happened to me on a log road trip. pretty scary at times. Any update on this?
Service center claimed it was an issue with my USB flash drive. I switched drives sometime around when I sent the service center the request so I'm not positive whether it was that or they cleared a cache or something remotely that resolved the issue. I thought I had switched drives before submitting the service request and still had the issue, but didn't track it very well so could be wrong. In any case, definitely try running without your sentry USB drive and see if that makes a difference.