Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU needs rebooting daily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model Y long range that I took delivery of in March. The car has been rock solid for me all this time, but for the last week or so, I've been needing to do the thumbwheel reset daily to get the MCU to turn on.

Here's what I've been able to piece together:
  • Happened every single morning for the past week or so.
  • The screen stays blank. If I do the thumbwheel reset, I never see the tesla logo like it usually shows, it simply starts up and plays music after a minute or two.
  • I've tried the brake + thumb wheel reset, but that doesn't seem to do anything different.
  • I have sentry mode disabled at my house, so the car is able to go into sleep mode at night. The car has sentry mode enabled everywhere else, so it stays awake when it's not at home (and I've not had this happen elsewhere).
  • I am on the latest FSD beta. I can't recall if this started after any particular update.
  • The app says that it connects to the car if I open it in the morning, but it only ever says parked. It won't show me the location or cabin temperature. If I turn on climate control, it shows the animation like it goes on, but it doesn't actually affect the car at all. To me, this suggests that app is able to reach the car's modem, but the MCU isn't responding. I don't know enough about how any of that works though.
  • The phone key still works, I'm able to get into the car just fine.
  • I can drive the car just fine with the screen blanked out. I was curious if it'd ever turn on by itself yesterday, but I was able to drive all the way to the grocery store without the screen firing up. I did the reset in the parking lot there and it was fine for the rest of the day.
  • It has finally gotten really cold here lately (0-20 degrees F). That might be part of the problem.
Semi-related question: when I am driving the car with the screen off, I obviously am getting no feedback. When I use the stalk to indicate a turn, the blinkers are actually turning on, right? With no audible or visible feedback, it is hard to tell.

Any suggestions on what I can try, or is this something I need to send off to the service center and have them deal with. I'm afraid that since it only ever happens when the car is first used for the day, that it may be a lengthy debugging process on their end.

If you have any devices plugged into any USB ports, I suggest removing them all, rebooting once and seeing what happens in the next day or two. This includes the Tesla-provided USB stick in the glovebox compartment. There have been reports of problems caused by various USB devices. It's not hard to try.

Yes, I believe blinkers work. You coiuld verify easily when parked close to a wall, or with someone outside telling you. You can also open your window and look at the driver side repeater

If you have any devices plugged into any USB ports, I suggest removing them all, rebooting once and seeing what happens in the next day or two. This includes the Tesla-provided USB stick in the glovebox compartment. There have been reports of problems caused by various USB devices. It's not hard to try.
Thanks. I do have an SD card adapter + microSD card plugged in for dashcam/sentry mode. I'll take that out for a few days and see.

I have a 2021 Model Y long range that I took delivery of in March. The car has been rock solid for me all this time, but for the last week or so, I've been needing to do the thumbwheel reset daily to get the MCU to turn on.

Here's what I've been able to piece together:
  • Happened every single morning for the past week or so.
  • The screen stays blank. If I do the thumbwheel reset, I never see the tesla logo like it usually shows, it simply starts up and plays music after a minute or two.
  • I've tried the brake + thumb wheel reset, but that doesn't seem to do anything different.
  • I have sentry mode disabled at my house, so the car is able to go into sleep mode at night. The car has sentry mode enabled everywhere else, so it stays awake when it's not at home (and I've not had this happen elsewhere).
  • I am on the latest FSD beta. I can't recall if this started after any particular update.
  • The app says that it connects to the car if I open it in the morning, but it only ever says parked. It won't show me the location or cabin temperature. If I turn on climate control, it shows the animation like it goes on, but it doesn't actually affect the car at all. To me, this suggests that app is able to reach the car's modem, but the MCU isn't responding. I don't know enough about how any of that works though.
  • The phone key still works, I'm able to get into the car just fine.
  • I can drive the car just fine with the screen blanked out. I was curious if it'd ever turn on by itself yesterday, but I was able to drive all the way to the grocery store without the screen firing up. I did the reset in the parking lot there and it was fine for the rest of the day.
  • It has finally gotten really cold here lately (0-20 degrees F). That might be part of the problem.
Semi-related question: when I am driving the car with the screen off, I obviously am getting no feedback. When I use the stalk to indicate a turn, the blinkers are actually turning on, right? With no audible or visible feedback, it is hard to tell.

Any suggestions on what I can try, or is this something I need to send off to the service center and have them deal with. I'm afraid that since it only ever happens when the car is first used for the day, that it may be a lengthy debugging process on their end.
The Tesla logo not showing up appears to be normal as of a few releases ago for me (maybe 2021.40.6), it now just comes on as you’re describing, so that particular issue is probably not something to worry about.

For the rest of what you are describing, if removing the USB doesn’t work, then I would open a service request. You can schedule software issues as mobile service. They will always contact you before the scheduled appointment and try to remote diagnose and correct the issue (if not then mobile service will come out).

Reactions: thmaub
I will give it a few days to confirm, but leaving the SD card unplugged seemed to have helped this morning. I was able to fire up the app and preheat the car. It is a very welcomed change to walk out to a nice toasty car in the morning.

So that raises the question of what I can do next. I don't like driving around without my dashcam, especially when the road conditions aren't ideal. Should I reformat the SD card and see if that helps? Get a different drive (it appears samsung SSDs are popular)? Wait until the next software release and see if that changes anything?

I would probably just go back to the Tesla memory stick and see if everything goes back to normal. If so, then you know that the SD card was somehow messing it up. Also, note that the reboot is done using the scroll wheels only. You don’t need to push the brake pedal. You could also try a Power Off. See theOwners Manual for that procedure.

I will give it a few days to confirm, but leaving the SD card unplugged seemed to have helped this morning. I was able to fire up the app and preheat the car. It is a very welcomed change to walk out to a nice toasty car in the morning.

So that raises the question of what I can do next. I don't like driving around without my dashcam, especially when the road conditions aren't ideal. Should I reformat the SD card and see if that helps? Get a different drive (it appears samsung SSDs are popular)? Wait until the next software release and see if that changes anything?

Try re formatting the card. Most of the reports of similar issues I have seen in the model 3 subforum (pre dating V11 interface as well), turned out to be USB card issues with the card being full / corrupt. Re format it and see, I bet you will find its ok.

Note that reports of what you experienced being tied to USB drive have been common enough that it would be the very first thing I would suggest, and is likely why @GtiMart suggested it to you in post #2.

I took delivery of a 2022 Model Y on January 9, 2022. I have the exact same issue as noted in the orignal post. I do not have any deviced plugged into the USB ports. I have a service appointment for few minor delivery issues (interior trim dirty, etc.) on 1/28/22. service has added this issue to the appointment. I will report back

Any update from the service center? My 2022 model y started experiencing a frozen screen a week after taking delivery. Scroll wheel resets wouldn't fix the problem either, so would have to drive without speedometer, music, climate control. Car is currently at the service center, they said they will be replacing the touchscreen/computer. Staying optimistic that all will be fixed! But can't help to think... my poor week old Tesla 😭😭

Any update from the service center? My 2022 model y started experiencing a frozen screen a week after taking delivery. Scroll wheel resets wouldn't fix the problem either, so would have to drive without speedometer, music, climate control. Car is currently at the service center, they said they will be replacing the touchscreen/computer. Staying optimistic that all will be fixed! But can't help to think... my poor week old Tesla 😭😭
Hey any update on this?

Ya they replaced the car cpu (not the touchscreen) located somewhere behind the glove box. They did this back in March, car's been great ever since. Bout 8k miles now.
ugh this is what I feel like my CPU needs to be replaced been having the constant freezing, I read that people lose those FSD Beta when the cpu is changed also.... Do you happen to recall how long this service took and if they were able to provide a loaner vehicle during the exchange? Being that it was also a 2022 was this an AMD chip?

It took about 4 weeks from drop off to pickup. Lots of the wait was due to delay of the part delivery according to the service center in Kansas City. Yep I had a model 3 loaner. No idea about beta, I don't have FSD.