Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU reboot during Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had issue rebooting the MCU while Supercharging? My P85D had some flaky behavior - the radio was cutting intermittently. I decided to reboot the MCU. I completely forgot that I was Supercharging at the time. The MCU would not come back up. Multiple attempts at resetting yielded no results. In the IC I see the message Systems are powering up, Press brake when this message clears (which never goes away).

I am stuck. No repose from the car at all. I wondered if I could put it in drive if I didn’t have PIn to drive activate, doh!

If anyone has suggestions, i’m All ears. I am 200 miles from home on a Friday night and the local service center doesn’t open until Monday morning.

I was hoping that ending my charging session would change things - no joy. I knew, while charging, that something was amiss when the app would not get a response - same for Tesla app and Remote S.

When I called Tesla Roadside assistance, the last response recorded was a warning that Cabin Overheat Protection would not be available due to low battery. I was down to 4% at the tine I hooked up to charge.

End result, tow it to Tesla service center (Indianapolis) which is closed until Monday morning. They arranged an Uber to take me to my parents whom I am visiting. They arranged to tow the SvC and they will rent me a car that I can pick up tomorrow.

While waiting for the tow truck - since I could not remote lock/unlock the car I wasn’t going to leave the fob in the car unattended - I tried to get creative with the reboot sequence. Do the IC first, when it is triggered, Restart the MCU. I could tell the restart gets triggered, my phone was plugged into a USB port. When triggered the power is withdrawn for a few seconds. There is also a scratchy audio queue from the front speakers. Still nothing.

Something similar happened several weeks prior. I could not get the MCU to restart. I gave up. The next morning it was fine. The IC and MCU started right up as if nothing had happened.

Now how am I going to get to work on Monday... in Nashville!?!?

New MCU. Lucky for me the Indy SvC had one on hand and can replace today. I’m hoping that they can flash and get my car restored! Kudos to the team in Indy!

Glad that it worked out. The same thing happened to me, but my car was drivable. Between the screen over the steering wheel and the app I could control most of the car. I did have to wait for a few weeks to get everything taken care of but the service center was good about communicating with me.