Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU rebooting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 11/17 build MXP100D. Starting the other day, my mcu began rebooting itself about every half hour in the car. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?
I just drove 45 minutes to work today and it has rebooted 3 times!
Call service?
Advice?

I have been experiencing unexpected reboots of the MCU in my Model S for some weeks, maybe a couple of months, not sure. Previously, it would reboot unexpectedly maybe once every six months or less. Has happened at least three times this week. I think i have seen other posts on this topic, with people suggesting it is some recent software update. Not sure if anyone reporting it has said it has been resolved.

Reactions: Akikiki
Update...
I went into Bluetooth settings and told it to forget my phone. I did the same on my phone.
Next, I paired the phone again (which took several times to get it to work) and now the MCU hasn’t rebooted since.
The two must have been related as its smooth sailing again.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
So I have a 11/17 build MXP100D. Starting the other day, my mcu began rebooting itself about every half hour in the car. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?
I just drove 45 minutes to work today and it has rebooted 3 times!
Call service?
Advice?
YES. But not every 30 minutes. Mine is a 2/17 built, 90D S and I am on 10.4. Mine is rebooting every 15 minutes right on the minute. Even accumulates from the most recent trip and counts the minutes there. Mine's been doing it for 8 weeks now. I contacted the mothership service and they referred me to my SC. My SC manager doesn't have any ideas. I am simply waiting for a firmware update and hope it fixes it.

Edit. After reading here and on TM that others on different firmware than I am are having the same issue. I am beginning to see a pattern. 15 min, 30 min? My gut tells me that someone on the software team that is not happy has inserted a timer in a build from recent months. And when other members get through the millions of lines of code (just guessing the count), and find the bug timer, they will remove it. We will never know or hear a report about it, it will simply disappear. We don't know how many others are affected, because where are they going to report it that we would know? Here? TM? There's less than two dozen people that have reported it, but there could be hundreds that have the "feature".

Last edited:
When my husband had our MCU reboot in the middle of driving this past weekend, has happened a few times to him before this, he decided to call Support and they told him to go into Controls -> Trips and clear the Trip information. The current thought as he recalls was that it was recording a lot of information and causing the issue. Don't know if that's the answer or not but figured we'd share what we were told.

We're a 3/17 MS build and on 2018.10.4.

When my husband had our MCU reboot in the middle of driving this past weekend, has happened a few times to him before this, he decided to call Support and they told him to go into Controls -> Trips and clear the Trip information. The current thought as he recalls was that it was recording a lot of information and causing the issue. Don't know if that's the answer or not but figured we'd share what we were told.

We're a 3/17 MS build and on 2018.10.4.
Mine is rebooting every 15 minutes. Its a 2/17/ build S. I've never reset my A or B trip info, but, my car has less than 5,000 miles. I don't buy that. And I am not even going to try it to test this as the fix. (No offense intended at anyone.) This is my third S in 5 years.

No offense taken @Akikiki. My husband did what they suggested but he got the impression they weren't sure if they had a solid answer for the problem. We're just over 8,000 miles and never bother with the trip settings. We drove the car later this evening with no problems but then again we weren't having it reboot with your frequency. Don't recall when the first time was that we experienced the mid-driving reboot issue but it's been somewhat recent for us. We did have our MCU replaced due to the yellow border and believe since that time we experienced the rebooting, several instances where it was hard to wake up. We also haven't had any OTA updates. When it was in for an annual in March they were able to see some errors and did a SvC update to 2018.10.4 but since then we still haven't had any update notifications and still experiencing these issues.

Reactions: Akikiki
I had had this every 15 minute rebooting issue since early Feb and its now early May. I took my S in and asked for a firmware update somewhat hopeful that it would fix the problem, although two earlier updates had not. The the SC did the update, 2018.18.2 but it didn't fix the rebooting. And since Feb when the rebooting first started this was the first time that I had taken the car in. When they saw it didn't fix the reboot, they didn't stop looking for the cause. They elevated the issue to Tesla Engineering. Two days later I got a call from a tech, and asked me to check and report. They had fixed the problem completely. No more issues.

During the call with the tech, he told me that Engineering had found some OS files that were not in the folder that they were supposed to be. My problem had started right after the update from 2017.50 to 2018.4. I'd had at least two more updates after 10.4 and before the May update to 2018.18.2 and the rebooting had continued for those 3 months.

Bottom line is an OTA did not fix the problem, which I guess means the files in the wrong folder problem did not just disappear when a new update was installed. It too Tesla Engineering to find and fix the problem. And they did it remotely while my car sat in my garage sometime 1 or 2 days after I had left the SC. That's pretty cool. They moved those files from the wrong place to the correct folder remotely 2,400 miles from the mothership. Its not the distance that impresses me, its the granularity of the operations they can perform remotely. (I did not have to take the car in for someone to connect a laptop to fix it.) Makes me wonder what else they can do remotely, huh?

I do appreciate that the SC folks believed me when I first described the problem. They took it in and confirmed it was doing the same rebooting I had told them. And they stayed with the problem until it was fixed. I was in the IT business for 30+ years. When an issue is elevated to a higher expertise or permission level, there is always the doubt that the "guys below that level" don't know what they are talking about. These folks stayed with the issue and solved the problem. I am grateful for the SC's and Engineering's support.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mxnym
Update...
I went into Bluetooth settings and told it to forget my phone. I did the same on my phone.
Next, I paired the phone again (which took several times to get it to work) and now the MCU hasn’t rebooted since.
The two must have been related as its smooth sailing again.

On A whim i did the exact same thing yesterday before my drive home...go into bluetooth, forget phone (took three tries) and then re-pair it. No reboots on way home (1 hour and stuttering streaming music issue is fixed

On A whim i did the exact same thing yesterday before my drive home...go into bluetooth, forget phone (took three tries) and then re-pair it. No reboots on way home (1 hour and stuttering streaming music issue is fixed

Something that helped me fix MCU crashes on my S, was unplugging a USB stick I used for music. Do it before you park the car, and leave it unplugged for at least 5 mins before you start driving the car.

Presto - the bugs went away. My guess is that its trying to boot from the USB stick rather than the regular sequence.

Hope it works!

Something that helped me fix MCU crashes on my S, was unplugging a USB stick I used for music. Do it before you park the car, and leave it unplugged for at least 5 mins before you start driving the car.

Presto - the bugs went away. My guess is that its trying to boot from the USB stick rather than the regular sequence.

Hope it works!
did that bluetooth thing seems to have fixed it, also noticed that new software update seems to mess with the browser functioning and causes it to eata memory leading to reboots

Hope it works!

Tes La, I don't listen to music via USB so I can contribute anything useful from personal experience. But a knowledgeable source on the TM forum (TeslaTap that does not post on TMC) suggested that the Apple M4A format for files causes loading problems and folks should discontinue using it on Tesla media player. Maybe that format is contributing to your different problem? Might be worthy of a simple file type change for a test?

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA