Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Recall............Very Strange MCU problem Re-post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the answer to my original post ...........

We remove the MCU from the car and dismantle it completely. Then we are able to extract unique identifying authentication keys from the eMMC even though part of it is corrupt. These keys are necessary for the car to authenticate against the Tesla network and give the user access to firmware updates and the Tesla app.

I thought I should re-post this to gain the attention it deserves here was the last part of the original post.....
...........................................................................................................................................................................................
Hello ....to all members I have been in contact with the Ministry of Transportation here in Canada I have reported the MCU failure as a safety defect they have informed me there aren't any other complaints for the MCU failing I am urging everyone if they feel this is a safety concern as I do please take the time and call 1-800-333-0510 and lodge a formal complaint. Hopefully this will initiate a recall to repair this obvious defect. Thanks
...........................................................................................................................................................................................
Here are some more links to articles about this problem .....

UPDATE: Tesla Cars Have A Memory Problem That May Cost You A Lot To Repair

This Is What The MCU Petition Signers Are Asking Tesla And Elon Musk

Please get onboard now is the time to take action......Thanks

...safety defect...

It is a poor longevity design but I fail to see why it is a safety defect because once the system can't write to a worn out eMMC chip anymore, you can't charge and your car is dead in the garage. It doesn't pose any carbon monoxide poisoning to kill anyone and there's no traffic in your garage to worry about being T-boned or rear-ended...

Actually I was still able to charge at a supercharger. (*)
I’m also in the situation of having a defective mcu1 out of warranty. I’m not happy about it but there is no safety concern here.
Previous cars I drove had much more expensive failures out of warranty and very much earlier in their mileage.

(*) the instrument cluster shows 0 as charging speed but you can see the battery capacity reported is growing.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The safety concern is no HVAC controls. During the cold rainy weather we are experiencing now the front and rear glass fogs up very quickly and makes it impossible to see anything....this happens fast and is a safety concern in my opinion. Reverse camera does not function as well this can be viewed as safety critical for some.
Members here will put you down, as soon as you say something is wrong and need to be improved.
I will call them.

It is a poor longevity design but I fail to see why it is a safety defect because once the system can't write to a worn out eMMC chip anymore, you can't charge and your car is dead in the garage. It doesn't pose any carbon monoxide poisoning to kill anyone and there's no traffic in your garage to worry about being T-boned or rear-ended...
And if it gives out while you are driving?.....

And if it gives out while you are driving?.....

That has happened for Model S and X that have dual displays when the MCU (center screen) dies in the middle of the drive: All propulsion function is intact driving, steering, braking, accelerating, autopilot, speedometer...

You can simulate as if your MCU is dead by temporarily turning it off with a reboot while driving.

Most of the accessories are not functioning such as HVAC, stereo...

For a single screen car such as Model 3, it is a concern when its only 1 screen goes dead because that's where the speedometer display is too. However, owners have reported that they can use their phone app to do most of everything from HVAC to speedometer...

That has happened for Model S and X that have dual displays when the MCU (center screen) dies in the middle of the drive: All propulsion function is intact driving, steering, braking, accelerating, autopilot, speedometer...

You can simulate as if your MCU is dead by temporarily turning it off with a reboot while driving.

Most of the accessories are not functioning such as HVAC, stereo...

For a single screen car such as Model 3, it is a concern when its only 1 screen goes dead because that's where the speedometer display is too. However, owners have reported that they can use their phone app to do most of everything from HVAC to speedometer...
I would argue the lack of navigation as well as the distraction of not having that screen and the information it provides, is a safety concern. Also, when the screen is rebooting, the turn signal sound gets wonky; from being off beat to being not on at all.

I believe the app talks to the MCU, so if the MCU dies there is no phone access, but if the screen dies and the MCU is running behind the scenes, you can still use your phone.

True with Dual Display S and X.

However, Model 3 with dead single display could still use remote options. Maybe that's because it's not an eMMC problem since it's too early for the eMMC date of death for Model 3 so far.

True with Dual Display S and X.

However, Model 3 with dead single display could still use remote options. Maybe that's because it's not an eMMC problem since it's too early for the eMMC date of death for Model 3 so far.
Pulling out your phone and staring at down in the console, or in your hand, or having it propped up on the dash, or having it slid around the dash, just so you can adjust the AC and see how fast you are going is not what I would call a safe driving environment.....

I believe the app talks to the MCU, so if the MCU dies there is no phone access, but if the screen dies and the MCU is running behind the scenes, you can still use your phone.
We have this problem currently and the phone app does not work. The car will charge and drive, and you have a speedometer but not an odometer, and no center console screen, no climate control, no backup camera etc. We were told at least $2500 to repair. The car is 4 years old, and I find this troubling, that such a catastrophic failure can happen which requires such an expensive repair job and had nothing to do with lack of maintenance, obvious misuse or other mayhem on the driver’s part. It’s very disappointing in that we were considering a second Tesla but this gives us pause.

We have this problem currently and the phone app does not work. The car will charge and drive, and you have a speedometer but not an odometer, and no center console screen, no climate control, no backup camera etc. We were told at least $2500 to repair. The car is 4 years old, and I find this troubling, that such a catastrophic failure can happen which requires such an expensive repair job and had nothing to do with lack of maintenance, obvious misuse or other mayhem on the driver’s part. It’s very disappointing in that we were considering a second Tesla but this gives us pause.
If you are handy, take your dash apart and remove the MCU and pull the Tegra board. Send it to Jason or Tony and have them desolder your chip, pull your certificates, copy to a new larger chip and resolder it. You might be able to find one of those guys or someone else that has an image of your current firmware. The biggest risk is that your certificates got corrupted, in which case you go to a lot of trouble and expense and have to return an upgraded processor board to Tesla in order to avoid a core charge.

• Informative
Reactions: bredi