Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU replaced 1 month ago; replacement now dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU went out in our 5-17 build Model S and was replaced at our Tesla service center about a month ago with a "reconditioned" unit.

Almost immediately had problems with increasing random reboots, then MCU failed much as before, less than a month later. So again, no center screen, no turn signals, and wait a week for an appt. Now back at service center and they say we need to wait for another MCU, which according to the parts order will also be reconditioned.

Can't say I'll have much confidence in the "new" MCU. Would consider the update to the latest version, but one loses Satellite radio and my wife is addicted to live news/financial channels. Not to mention that we paid about $3500 extra for satellite radio when the car was new (at that time, you had to get the optional sound system AND the optional sliding glass roof in order to have sat).

Tesla now has a new “Tegra Daughterboard” with 64 GB memory to repair MCU memory failures. This should have better life than the original 8 GB memory and is a new part, not reconditioned. I had one installed in my 2015 S85 last week. Ask Tesla to perform this repair instead of another reconditioned MCU.

Good Luck,

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
Tesla now has a new “Tegra Daughterboard” with 64 GB memory to repair MCU memory failures. This should have better life than the original 8 GB memory and is a new part, not reconditioned. I had one installed in my 2015 S85 last week. Ask Tesla to perform this repair instead of another reconditioned MCU.

Good Luck,

GSP

Thanks for the tip, GSP. I'll see if I can talk them into the new fix.