Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU replacement new or old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my MCU they replace and I will pay 2600 EUR for new one ( maybe old one what was repaired) then if I pay do much for next one then I think the old one is also my then I will take it.

That won't fly. The price is for replacement (they get the old part), not for a new part. They don't sell the part as new (Without supplying them the old unit)

If it's not replaced under warranty, and they did not give you a core credit (i.e. you paid the full cost of the part), you can demand it back. In California, as long as you request it - they're legally required to provide you with your old parts.

After some back and forth with Tesla, I got my old MCU back (see link below)... and they do have market value.

MCU fails for the second time

My MCU (2015 S85 D) was replaced under warranty (extended) yesterday after episodes of losing the NAV screen, then the screen behind the wheel, then difficulties in waking up the vehicle. The Tesla Service center at Scottsdale was very professional and thorough,. I am totally pleased with the result.

I am assuming that the replacement was a reconditioned unit. It was described on the invoice as:
MCU, MDLX,NA, PREMIUM,REMAN (1098010-00-F).

Note:such a change causes the vehicle to lose its data cache, so all settings are lost, as is memory for previous earnings.

• Informative
Reactions: dblankenbaker
My MCU (2015 S85 D) was replaced under warranty (extended) yesterday after episodes of losing the NAV screen, then the screen behind the wheel, then difficulties in waking up the vehicle. The Tesla Service center at Scottsdale was very professional and thorough,. I am totally pleased with the result.

I am assuming that the replacement was a reconditioned unit. It was described on the invoice as:
MCU, MDLX,NA, PREMIUM,REMAN (1098010-00-F).

Note:such a change causes the vehicle to lose its data cache, so all settings are lost, as is memory for previous earnings.

I lost all of my settings with an MCU1 replacement (for yellow screen) at Scottsdale. But I heard from others there is a way they should be able to save and reload the settings. Apparently Scottsdale doesn't like the do that.

Did I get an MCU 2 upgrade? Looks like they did my Bluetooth, antenna, and rear camera. Crossing my fingers, I'm picking it up tomorrow and will confirm when I do, here's a screenshot of what the service center gave me
Screenshot_20191022-161408.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
My MCU1 died on June 19. It wouldn't power on no matter what. I couldn't even charge because the car was stuck in Scheduled charging mode. Not even the Supercharger bypassed it.

It took about 10 days to get my car back because as usual, the part wasn't available. My car was out of warranty so I had to pony up $2270.50 for the replacement. I hoped for an MCU2 but it was an MCU1.

View attachment 316289

I wonder why my MCU part number is different than yours.
You shoud have upgrade for this price!!